Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Video camera mounts  (Read 3512 times)

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Video camera mounts
« on: August 22, 2009, 07:46:34 PM »

Point me to the FAQ and call me lazy.  My search keeps pulling up expensive stuff.

I just purchased a couple of video cams.  I would like to cobble together some sort of clamp->arm->ball head to mount a consumer camcorders on.  I was sticker shocked at the options at the local camera store (bogen magic arm, bogen ball head/rapid release, they didn't have wide clamp <i want at least 6-8 inches round and square capable>.

Is there a cheap way to mimic what I am looking for?

As an aside, is it just me or are Bogen/Manfrotto part number and descriptions hard as f to follow (compatibility with their other company parts, that is)?

Thank you, thank you, thank you,

--Michael
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Video camera mounts
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 11:36:36 AM »

Found great pics of video camera mounts in action...answered my questions: http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Mounting%20Brackets.htm

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 02:14:34 PM »
What exactly are you attempting to clamp to? Have you checked out the bogen super clamp?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 05:18:54 PM »
Since my last post I've spent a few hours Googling and viewing most of B & H photo's site...

I would like to clamp a video cam to a support pole in a local club (not that kind of pole or club  :)).  I guess the pole is about 6-8 inches across.  The "UNIVERSAL CLAMP with BALL TILT HEAD" found on this page would probably work:  http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Mounting%20Brackets.htm.  I can't find that piece for sale in the US, though.  Another option that I am considering is the "Bogen Manfrotto 244 Bogen Manfrotto Variable Friction Magic Arm With Camera Bracket" -> Super Clamp -> to some sort of C-Style clamp from the local hardware store (I don't think the Super Clamp alone would open wide enough).  I like the flexibility that the Magic Arm provides, but it is an expensive option.  Ultimately, I want two identical setups and I am trying to cobble together a reasonably priced rig. 

Offline liveween

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 06:25:06 PM »
Hi Michael,

Will you be panning / zooming with either of the cameras, or will both shots be fixed static angles?

- kobi.
liveween.com
My Multicam Concert Edits
Earthworks SR71's > Loaner PSP2/3 > Sony PCM-M10

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 06:52:15 PM »
Hi Michael,

Will you be panning / zooming with either of the cameras, or will both shots be fixed static angles?

- kobi.
liveween.com

I plan on using two static shots, so these rigs don't need to move.  I'll run a third from a monpod for closeups.

I guess I could just do something cheap like a Sunpak head (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247944-REG/Sunpak_620710_Compact_Ballhead.html) -> Super Clamp -> C-Style hardware store clamp.  That is probably as cheap as it gets.  Or maybe...fasten the Sunpak head to a hardware store clamp myself and skip the Super Clamp...even cheaper....

--Michael

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 02:16:40 PM »
I see what you mean. In that case, I think you have a good enough solution which is cheap.

A word of warning for inexpensive ballheads, the cheaper they are, the less likely they are to stay put the entire time they are mounted in the position. I would count on it slipping a little bit which may not be an issue for you but if you plan on using a ball head a lot, consider something a little more durable and be done with it. Some ballheads are as much as tripods but you probably don't need to get that carried away.

For an ultra cheap method, get a roll of gaffer tape and tape your camera to this post you speak of.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline fanofthemule

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 02:37:51 PM »
my main concern with this set up is the shake or vibration you may get from mounting the camera to a post.  i tried this before without much luck

i now just use the bogen magic arm and clamp it to my tripod.  i run a camera on the tripod and then clamp the magic arm on the tripod.  one is a stag cam and the other i pan and zoom with.  the tripod is kept on some home made cushions to eliminate this shake

just something to consider
Sony PCM-M10

Fostex FR2LE Busman TMod

Superlux S502 ORTF

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 05:11:15 PM »
Michael,

You might also try this place.  I have some of the light stands for photography and they are pretty nice.

http://www.amvona.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=3078&category_id=97

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Jerry Gash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 10:00:22 PM »
Great thread, I was looking for solutions to do something similar last month and ended up just using tape.

I did however get a super clamp, now i just need the magic arm.

(2) Canon HV20, Jag35Pro, Shrigg Rig, Rode SVM, Rode VM, Zoom H4N, Bogen 3052, Bogen 701HDV Head

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 07:30:54 PM »

I broke down.  Ordered two variable friction magic arms and four super clamps.  I still need to pick up a clamp from the hardware store for clamping to things wider than the super clamp can handle.  What are the other two super clamps for?  Well, I figure that I can screw a monpod into them and use it as a makeshift pole to clamp the magic arm to if I ever need to "clamp low" and get some extra height.  BTW, today was a double bing cash back day...the magic arms with camera mounts will end up being $87 each w/free shipping....

--Michael

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com