Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Photo Camera Recommendation?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
Photo Camera Recommendation?
« on: June 21, 2007, 10:07:20 PM »
OK, I hope people have some suggestions on a picture camera.

I am looking for a camera that will pull off good decent 7+ mega pixel shots at concerts and indoor arena sporting events (hockey, basketball, etc).  As you may be aware, most cameras need a lot of light these days since the lens are so small, they don't let in much light.

I prefer SD over CF (but not ruling anything out)
Steady shot nice but not required
Small enough to not be tagged as a "pro level" camera at security
RAW picture quality would be nice
Digital zoom not to be factored in... as (at least with my current Cannon) the digital zoom just blurs and distorts the image to make them look bad on the PC and in print.

Thanks!

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Photo Camera Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 10:45:02 PM »
so, your wanting a 7+megapixel, lowlight point and shoot camera?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 10:54:15 PM »
Canon S3 IS or if you can wait a month: Canon S5 IS

I don't know if a consumer level SLR is too professional looking, but for real results an interchangeable lens is crucial.

If that's okay I'd suggest checking into the Canon Digital Rebal XT w/ a Canon 50mm 1.8 Lens. Popular setup for non-pros/hobby photog's. I don't think it looks professional, but I guess I've seen places not allow cameras with a detachable lens ("point and shoot" only). You might want to add a longer zoom for sports.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 11:58:07 PM »
so, your wanting a 7+megapixel, lowlight point and shoot camera?

Pretty much, that would be a true statement.

Canon S3 IS or if you can wait a month: Canon S5 IS

I don't know if a consumer level SLR is too professional looking, but for real results an interchangeable lens is crucial.

If that's okay I'd suggest checking into the Canon Digital Rebal XT w/ a Canon 50mm 1.8 Lens. Popular setup for non-pros/hobby photog's. I don't think it looks professional, but I guess I've seen places not allow cameras with a detachable lens ("point and shoot" only). You might want to add a longer zoom for sports.

The detachable lens is pretty much a show stopper around here for "small cameras allowed" at shows.

Believe me, I would love a true digital SLR with the full spectrum of lenses like I have for my standard (dusty) SLR.

And those Canon cameras you referenced would buy me a trip back to the car or a confiscation of my memory card in a show.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 12:42:57 AM »
And those Canon cameras you referenced would buy me a trip back to the car or a confiscation of my memory card in a show.

I use a S3 all the time, and have never really had a problem unless NO cameras were allowed (it is a little big to be sneaky). Most of the cameras I've tried with smaller lens' don't work for concerts, unless it's a daytime concert. Heck, the S3 doesn't even work that well. I can get a few decent shots if it's well lit and the performer stays still. Not ideal, but it's the best thing I've found.

Maybe someone else can chime in with a smaller sized camera that works well.

I guess I'm lucky. Most of the performers I see, are happy to have me take pictures.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com