Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10 announced  (Read 13418 times)

Offline tailschao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10 announced
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 07:43:28 AM »
If the ZS10 is like the other Lumix models having video, then no inherent recording time limitation.
Unfortunately the european Lumix's have, to date, had a limit on video length (either 10 or 15 mins, cant remember which, my mate's TZ-7 has this limitation) which has been a real pain.  There seems to be no such limitations on the US models as far as I understand.
I heard it was a tax thing. Something like cams can only be imported/sold as stills cameras if they're limited in video recording time, otherwise they're classed as camcorders. Probably bullshit, but ya know...

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 01:08:04 PM »
Received my new ZS10 a few weeks ago.  Disappointed with two things:

1) For full HD (AVCHD 1080) there is a 29:59 recording time limit.  (Unit purchased in US.)
2) The aftermarket extended batteries that worked with my ZS3 do not work with the ZS10. 

I'm hoping that the aftermarket battery manufacturers will come up with something soon for the ZS10.  They were able to get around the firmware for the ZS3.

On the positive side, I'm happy with the ZS10's increased zoom to 16X... up to 21X when using "intelligent resolution" with virtually no loss in quality.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 08:23:35 PM »
1) For full HD (AVCHD 1080) there is a 29:59 recording time limit.  (Unit purchased in US.)

Was that the same with the ZS3 & ZS7?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 09:08:59 PM »

Don't know about the ZS7, but with the ZS3, one could record continuously until the card filled up.... just over 2 hours of 720p on a 16gb sdhc card.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 02:04:01 AM »
Recorded some 1080p but the video jitters on playback.

Would this be a card speed issue (supposed class 10) or a computer speed issue?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline exxile

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 03:58:18 AM »
Are you reading the footage direct from the card or have you copied it to your hdd first? For best results you'll need to copy it over first. If it still has playback issues, could be limitations of RAM, graphics card, or just processor speed.

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 08:05:01 AM »
Are you reading the footage direct from the card or have you copied it to your hdd first? For best results you'll need to copy it over first. If it still has playback issues, could be limitations of RAM, graphics card, or just processor speed.

Copied over. Spose I could convert to .m4v and try it on the ps3, right?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 03:07:36 PM »
Just marking this thread.

I am really interested in this camera, but I've read some poor reviews and would love some feedback.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 05:23:13 PM »
What's the best settings for battery life recording video? I'm only getting around an hour and half.

Gps off, etc...
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline exxile

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 04:04:09 AM »
I'd say 90mins is pretty good going, especially for 1920x1080. I'm only getting 65-70min on the ZS-3 and that's only 1280x720.

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 11:43:29 PM »
Yeah. I get around 90-100mins on the TZ10 @ 1280x720. A lot of zooming will run it down faster. I also bought a cheap 'bootleg' battery off eBay as a spare, usually get 75-85mins off that.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 04:40:16 AM »

Don't know about the ZS7, but with the ZS3, one could record continuously until the card filled up.... just over 2 hours of 720p on a 16gb sdhc card.

FYI
I have been using the ZS7 and i use a class 10 32 GB card and have 4 hours of straight recording time with highest resolution.  But you do need to change batteries about 1 hour and 15 minutes into recording due to the camera demand.  but again i just hit the red button and record away.

Offline largeman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 09:05:53 AM »
Hi all, I'd like to share my experience with the ZS10.

I am a guy who loves going to rock concerts and casually taking videos.  Up until now I have not used separate mics/audio recording devices, and have been relying on the built-in mic on my cameras.  I bought a ZS7 back in December and took it with me to a concert.  These are a couple of videos I took:
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw-75lG68-Y
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JehAFnvsqLU

I was very impressed with the zoom, the video quality, and especially the sound with the ZS7.  However I really hated the vertical streaks/blooms, which had always been a problem with my previous cameras.  When Panasonic announced the ZS10 in January, I was thrilled.  The MOS sensor was like an answer to my prayers – no more blooming.  I got my hands on the ZS10 at the end of March, just in time for a couple of eagerly anticipated concerts at Madison Square Garden.  The following is from April 1:
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCothDZn358
4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siWrsNk_YpE

In addition to being happy with the sound quality, I felt that both the zoom (which was powerful and smooth) and the continuous autofocus during recording worked even better than on the ZS7.  I do not think any other pocket-sized P&S camera on the market could have achieved this level of picture and audio quality, from where I was sitting in the venue. 

However, last night I went to another concert at an arena (UIC Pavilion in Chicago), this time standing up front and center.  And the sound quality of my videos really came as a blow:
5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSjus9Jbs6c
6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VeNEWf2l9U

Not only was there a lot of clipping, the overall sound was suppressed and muffled.  Granted, I don’t think the acoustics of the venue was great.  The sound was not good where I was standing and in fact impeded my enjoyment of the concert.  Still, the quality of the recordings was much worse than I expected, and I wonder what could be the explanation.

Thanks a lot for reading the post.  I am very curious whether people here would have some (relatively) good experience/recommendation of cameras that have exceptional built-in mics and audio recording capability.  To me the ZS10 is very strong in video quality, the autofocus and active image stabilization works considerably well.  I have just ordered the CA 11’s and a digital recorder so I don’t have to rely on the internal mics.  Still if anyone has recommendations of cameras with decent audio recording quality (while also having a powerful zoom), it would be much appreciated!

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 11:10:38 AM by largeman »

Offline largeman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 09:21:44 AM »
Recorded some 1080p but the video jitters on playback.

Would this be a card speed issue (supposed class 10) or a computer speed issue?

Hi Justin,
Did you turn on the deinterlace mode on your media player?  I use VLC Player and had to set deinterlace mode to "automatic" or "on" in order for those .MTS files to play properly.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 12:50:30 AM »

I have ZS7 and no record limit. I use 32GB card class 10. jsut over 4 hours of recording at highest quality, BUT remember the limitation is the battery, so buy a bunch or use 2 cams and have them ready.  YOU get over an hour and so on full charge of battery with 32GB class 10 card.  so  4 hours of video on said card but battery gets eaten up just over an hour and about 15-20 minutes depending on temperature.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com