Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Current P&S Cameras for HD Shooting  (Read 2631 times)

Offline bhoy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Current P&S Cameras for HD Shooting
« on: August 10, 2011, 12:25:08 PM »
I've been reading the threads on the Panasonic and Sony cameras.  I was just hoping someone could fill in the details here for me.  I'm trying to decide which point and shoot camera would be best for live shooting.  It looks like the models are:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10

It seems like the ZS3 and the ZS7 are older models, replaced by the ZS10?  I've seen nice videos made by the ZS3.  Does the ZS7 replace it?  Which is better?  How about the ZS10 - is that the current model?  Does it now have a 29 min limit problem?

And then... Sony DSC HX9V.
This looks to compete with the Panasonics but it suffers from the 29 min limit?

From this summary, it looks like the ZS3 or the ZS7 is the best one to get, though now they can only be found used.

If anyone could comment, or ad to this list, that would be great.

Thanks,
Bill

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
Re: Current P&S Cameras for HD Shooting
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:21:11 PM »
hx9v
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline exxile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 04:12:47 AM »
The ZS3 & ZS7 will both only shoot up to 1280x720p whereas the ZS10 will shoot full HD 1920x1080. The ZS3 & ZS7 both use a CCD sensor which can sometimes cause vertical striping (eg from spotlights/strobes), the ZS10 uses a MOS sensor which gives better results in these conditions. No time limit on the ZS3 (except when your battery dies) but I think there's a 30min limit on the ZS7 & ZS10. Audio quality seems to be better on the Panasonics as opposed to the Sony, but if you're running a separate audio rig I guess this isn't a big factor. If your budget can stretch to the ZS10 then I'd go for that, full HD and a better quality image, the 30min limit's not a huge problem if you stop/start rec between songs just before you hit it.

Offline mgaribaldi83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 10:42:29 AM »
I have taped with a North American ZS7 at full HD quality and there was a file split at 4 gigabytes (roughly at the 38 minute mark), but no time limit (other than how much battery charge you have) and no footage lost. I joined the files together later and noticed no break where they were joined.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com