Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Countryman 'B2D' hypercardioid lavalier mic  (Read 2440 times)

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Countryman 'B2D' hypercardioid lavalier mic
« on: March 13, 2013, 10:22:17 AM »
Anybody have any knowledge of these:

http://www.countryman.com/download/B2D%20Lavalier%20datasheet.pdf

Seems to be a stealthable hyper-card pattern mic
3 sensitivty models
Up to 140dB SPL

What do people think about the frequency response? I know cards drop off at the low end but this doesn't seem too bad (esp on-axis). How does this compare to larger and more expensive card mics?

Also has a detachable connector.....??

Doesn't say what power required or permissible, but can be bought with XLR ($675 ea.) or pig-tailed ($570 ea.)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Countryman 'B2D' hypercardioid lavalier mic
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:00:44 AM »
I'd be curious how this compares to what Sound Pros sells as "SP-CMC-25".  That mic, I think, is pretty nice.  Definitely light in the bass region, but good tonal balance and a nice tool. 

This thing does, indeed, look about half the size of the SP mic...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:18:16 AM »
A pair of the B2D's would set you back about 4 x a pair of SP-CMC-25's so one would hope for some fairly significant improvement, but you never know.....anybody willing to drop $1200 on these for a trial?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »
The only way I'd want to use these is if the venue I was in had a place I could mount them (like on a balcony railing). They are small enough that you could do that without being obvious.

You'd have to stand pretty still with hypers mounted to you to not screw things up.

I do like the option for a slightly more directional omni when running stealth. For that I use my Nevaton MCE400's. When I need things to be really small and full omni's are better the B3's are great.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 11:54:31 AM »
What do people think about the frequency response? I know cards drop off at the low end but this doesn't seem too bad (esp on-axis). How does this compare to larger and more expensive card mics?

That response is noted as being measured at 8", which is appropriate for the intended use of this microphone, yet is well within the 'proximity effect' zone where the low end response is boosted.  Expect far more limited bass response than shown there at mic'ing distances greater than 3'.  Those are very minimal, highly smoothed response graphs and only a single idealized polar.  Doesn't really indicate a whole lot.

Also has a detachable connector.....??

Looks like a miniature coaxial connector which may be interchangable with DPA microdots?

Doesn't say what power required or permissible, but can be bought with XLR ($675 ea.) or pig-tailed ($570 ea.)

Presumably a low voltage powered mic similar to the B3/B6.  Phantom power XLR adapter.
Pricey. In that range I'd look at the DPA 4098H ($500 with XLR adapter).  It's slightly longer, but designed for choir mic'ing at a greater distance and probably has better though still limited bass response and an odd form factor that may or may not work for you.  It has better documented response and polars at least. 

[edit- self-noise figures are quite high]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:56:43 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com