Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic recommendation for UA-5 P-Mod  (Read 6078 times)

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
Re: Mic recommendation for UA-5 P-Mod
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2004, 10:40:22 AM »
Well, I dug up Doug's response here which is specific to the UA-5, not DAP1, etc. YMMV, but why take chances?

I did some listening to my Audix 1290 > pmod UA-5 tapes, and this combo is not too bright for my taste, really nice sounding, actually.  For $550 pair, they might be an option.  Omni, card and hyper caps are available.

Ragan
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2004, 05:49:57 PM »
Josephsons.

-Kevin

Whoa there. I mean he doesn't like the bass yes, but lets let him have some bass...I know that I am unoriginal saying this but have you considered ADK TL's...they are pretty sweet sounding...dont know if I have heard them with the p-mod though. 170 bucks per polar pattern is not bad at all. It also seems like stealth is not an issue so that is my rec. Otherwise check out some AKGs.

Jason

Don't know what shows you've been listening to but Josephsons have plenty of bass....just not as sloppy as the bluelines if thats what you're used to. ;D

That being said here are my recs:

$200-$600/pair - MXL 1006BP's - nothing else in this price range comes close they will chew up and spit out C1000s and Oktavas all before the house lights even dim.

$600-$1000/pair - Josephson C42MP's - Amazing mics, very close to the vintage KM-i84's with a little more clarity, same capsule as in the MG300s with a custom designed amp section

$1000-$2000/pair - Gefells SMS2000 series

$2000k+ - Schoeps CMC6xt w/ MK5s or Schoeps Tubes with MK5s 

peace, chris

I'm gonna go along with the Josephsons.  Listening to a show I recorded yesterday and the bass is pretty nice.  Not overpowering, just good and balanced and tight.
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2004, 06:29:21 PM »
Ragan- I've been running my earthworks with a w-UA5 for a little over a year.  No problems at all ;D  Let us know what you end up going with.
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2004, 07:01:43 PM »
Becky, just goes to show you, practice beats theory every time.

I bought the Audix a couple of months ago.  I've only taped two indoor shows and the aforementioned festival.  I was worried that the pmod would be too bright a combo with the Audix, but so far, the tapes have sounded about right to me.  I like things a little bright, but not MBHO bright.  Good low end on the Audix 1290, too, which the MBHO doesn't have.  For the money, I find little to complain about.  Thinking about getting some more caps in the future.

For now, it's back to taping local KC bands from the board until next year's fest.

Ragan
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2004, 08:15:42 PM »
I like things a little bright, but not MBHO bright.  Good low end on the Audix 1290, too, which the MBHO doesn't have.

the MBHOs have no low end?
are you sure the recordings you've heard of MBHO weren't using hypers or with a bass rolloff(hpf)?
not saying that MBHO would be good/great with the UA-5...I think MBHO and MP2 were designed for each other
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 08:22:09 PM by luvean »

the water's clean and innocent

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2004, 02:30:06 PM »
I like things a little bright, but not MBHO bright.  Good low end on the Audix 1290, too, which the MBHO doesn't have.

the MBHOs have no low end?
are you sure the recordings you've heard of MBHO weren't using hypers or with a bass rolloff(hpf)?
not saying that MBHO would be good/great with the UA-5...I think MBHO and MP2 were designed for each other

mbho's would be much better served with the w mod over the p mod in my opinion. the w mod helps to open them up more.
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2004, 02:37:42 PM »
Becky, just goes to show you, practice beats theory every time.

The problem with the EW > UA-5 combo is definitely not just theoretical.  I know a taper who fried her UA-5 after using it with a pair of SR-71s with no problem for a year.  And it's NOT covered under warranty.  Of course, you could use it and you might have no problems, but ask yourself if you really want to take that chance.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2004, 03:04:34 PM »
you could run earthworks>ps2>ua5 and use the ps2 for phantom power.  I've heard these work fine with the earthworks as long as you externally power the ps2 (since earthworks are VERY high current mics)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com