Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Question about a Sony stereo mic  (Read 2172 times)

Offline heylad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Question about a Sony stereo mic
« on: July 11, 2004, 08:00:11 AM »
Recently I attemped my first live recording of an outdoor concert with my awesome Sony PCM-M1 portable DAT recorder. I used a Sony ECM-719 mic.
http://www.minidisco.com/ecm-719.html

Upon listening to the playback, I think the recording sounds maybe a little bit 'honky' in frequency. Maybe it's just my imagination though.

Has anyone here got any experience with this mic? I'm just wondering if it would be in my best interest to get a different mic that may yield better results? The mic would have to be somewhat inconspicuous, of course. ;-)

Thanks in advance.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Question about a Sony stereo mic
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 08:13:40 AM »
:lol:  it's probably not your imagination.   the ECM-MS907 was my first mic so I have some experience with that line

your options are nearly limitless. you can get mics ranging from $70-$1000+, from something the size of your pinky nail to bodiless small diaphragms, white to black, phantom or battery power, omni or cardiod.

I suppose the first question is how much do you have to spend?  Not that more expensive mics always yields better results, but we need to know what to recommend :)

Also, do you have a preference to mics with regards to other recordings you have heard?  Often times your own ears can make a good recommendation.

Offline heylad

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 08:45:19 AM »
If you'd like to hear a sample of what I recorded, I uploaded a 53sec. mp3 (837KB).  I was maybe 70ft. or so directly in front of, and quite bit higher than, the stage when I recorded it.  I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about the sound quality.

http://heylad.0catch.com/WhosCryinNow_TheStorm.mp3

Thanks for the info.  Well, I would certainly need to have a clip-on mic.  Can't use any that require a mic stand. The one I used was ideal...very inconspicuous and it actually did a great job of rejecting side and back noises.  I'm just hoping that there's something comparable in design that might offer better sound quality.  I'd be willing to spend at least $200. for it.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 08:01:42 PM »
If you'd like to hear a sample of what I recorded, I uploaded a 53sec. mp3 (837KB).  I was maybe 70ft. or so directly in front of, and quite bit higher than, the stage when I recorded it.  I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about the sound quality.

http://heylad.0catch.com/WhosCryinNow_TheStorm.mp3

Thanks for the info.  Well, I would certainly need to have a clip-on mic.  Can't use any that require a mic stand. The one I used was ideal...very inconspicuous and it actually did a great job of rejecting side and back noises.  I'm just hoping that there's something comparable in design that might offer better sound quality.  I'd be willing to spend at least $200. for it.

Dude, that sounds freaking good for such a cheap mic!   :D    I've heard far worse with way more expensive mics (Core sound comes to mind immediately).

Maybe you should try a pair of at853's?  Hmm, i think you might want to go straight to the phantom powered mics and avoid any issues with bass management and distortion.  They are also very small and stealthable, i think if you get a pair that are terminated to xlr (for phantom power) and a small phantom power box you would be all set.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 11:30:05 PM »
the CMC-2 mics are good and don't have a problem with bass distortion.  They are $120 and the battery box to power them is $60, and I think you can get clips

www.soundprofessionals.com

Offline heylad

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 12:51:49 PM »
Thanks for all the info, guys.  I'll definitely look into those options.  I'm glad you liked the audio sample, Gloco. :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com