Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Card or Omni  (Read 2456 times)

urobouros

• Trade Count: (0)
Card or Omni
« on: November 10, 2004, 01:34:02 AM »
I've decided on the SP 2-in-1 headphones-mic to complete my stealth rig:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ISI-HMA-1

I already purchased the SP-SPSB-7 with roll-off and level control:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-7

The question is whether I go for the card or omni option.  Any thoughts?  I'm looking to use these for clubs of varying sizes for both acoustic and electric music.

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Card or Omni
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 02:25:46 AM »
whoa those headphone things are pretty cool. stealthy mcstealth.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 05:16:18 AM »
My question is whether someone wearing headphones during a gig would really draw less attention to themselves than one of the miniature clip on microphones that Sound Professionals do.

Still, perfect position to get a 'binaural' recording (for which you'll want the omni mics)

If you believe that the crowds around you will be noisy, a cardioid pattern is preferable.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 07:49:38 AM »
I've decided on the SP 2-in-1 headphones-mic to complete my stealth rig:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ISI-HMA-1

I already purchased the SP-SPSB-7 with roll-off and level control:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-7

The question is whether I go for the card or omni option.  Any thoughts?  I'm looking to use these for clubs of varying sizes for both acoustic and electric music.

I'll sell you a set of those mics you are looking at.  Mine are omnis with high sensitivity option.  I think they work nicely.  Cheaper than the sp new, obviously.

My experience w/ stealthing cards is with my AT853rx- to me, they seem to be way more sensitive to movements by the taper while wearing the mics.  They are also more sensitive to movements of people around you.

I also have not had the experience of my recordings having too much chatter, noise, etc becuase of the wider range of sound picked up by omnis.

If I had to say one or the other, and not saying this cause I am selling a set, I'd get omnis.  I purchased a set of Omni caps for the AT853Rx, and I haven't used any other caps since.  The other thing with omni is that you can then make a true binaural recording... which might just be cool in name.

The headphones are super stealthy... they are pretty awesome actually.  Its awesome b/c you can just wear them around your neck, plugged into your NJB3 past security, and you'll get in every time.    As far as wearing them, you can either wear them as you would normal headphones and produce a binaural recording (as long as there omnis) - or just wear them around your neck and produce a stereo recording (I'm pretty sure that you'd be better off with omni's here, becuase the mics aren't going to be above the crowd), so you don't have to have headphones on.  I've never had anyone say anything to me about wearing the headphones during a show... I've just felt goofy.

I wish I had my AT's mounted in headphones...  I really liked that setup.

I have some samples of some stuff I have recorded with these mics -> slimline bb (no level control) -> NJB3 if youd like to hear them.

This is just my experience....

HTH-
~Andrew
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 07:52:24 AM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

urobouros

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 01:49:46 PM »

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 01:58:08 PM »
plug your headphones into the mic-in on your deck sometime... seriously.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

urobouros

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 03:02:29 PM »
What do you mean Tim?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 03:19:51 PM »
headphones can be used as microphones.

speakers can be used as microphones.

Last time I was in the recording studio, the engineer was using a speaker, in addition to an AKG D12 to mic the kick drum.  Pretty cool.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

urobouros

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 03:57:09 PM »
How's the sound when using one's headphones?  I'm sure it depends on the quality of the phones.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com