Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soundman OKM II R (S), PROs & CONs?  (Read 3368 times)

Offline tod3sschu3tze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Tape Metal!
Soundman OKM II R (S), PROs & CONs?
« on: September 02, 2006, 09:00:16 AM »
hi guys!
at the moment i run core sound low cost binaurals with low sensitivity option into rockboxed iriver h120.
generally i tape loud metal/metalcore/hardcore concerts, and this set-up fits quite okay.
but i have to take care of the distance to the speakers, otherwise the tape will distort.

you can find some examples with this setup at dimeadozen, my nick is "MetalTaper", sorry atm i cannot post direct links to my recordings, dime is down.

i am thinking about getting a new mic setup, for example the soundman okm 2 rock or rock studio.
which type is better for really loud concerts, taped in 1st row or directly in front of the speakers?
and i have doubts of the sound, because you wear them in your ear. isnt there a click when you move your head?
and, normally i am a person that takes care of its ears and always use ear protectors, while wearing the okm's that isnt possible, isnt it?

Stealth Setup(s):

NEW ONE:
Microphone Madness HLSC-1 > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

OLD ONE:
Core Sound Low Cost Binaurals + Low Sensivity Option > 9V Battery Box > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

tod3sschu3tze's Live Show & Bootlegs Trading List: http://trade.tod3sschu3tze.de

Offline blind

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Soundman OKM II R (S), PROs & CONs?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 10:03:50 AM »
How about AT-831s?

Offline tod3sschu3tze

• Taperssection Regular
  • Tape Metal!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 10:40:11 AM »
hm, could you please give me some more advice?
i do not know the mics you mentioned, are they better than the soundman's?
what about pricing, and do i need to buy an adapter extra to use line-in?

***EDIT***

here is my profil with my recordings: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=273597
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 11:53:08 AM by tod3sschu3tze »
Stealth Setup(s):

NEW ONE:
Microphone Madness HLSC-1 > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

OLD ONE:
Core Sound Low Cost Binaurals + Low Sensivity Option > 9V Battery Box > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

tod3sschu3tze's Live Show & Bootlegs Trading List: http://trade.tod3sschu3tze.de

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 01:49:44 PM »
There are few mics I know of that will run line into a Iriver without distorting, its the nature of the mic.  A battery box will improve your results with your current mic, along with any of the Soundprofessionals AT mics, however they still can distort greatly.  If you wired it into a 3 wire battery box (search on that here) you can get distortion free recordings with the AT mics.

I don't know your budget but if you are really wanting to run line in, I know that Microphone Madness Sennheiser mics (cards)will not distort run line into an iriver.  There is a pair for sale in the Yard Sale, these are good mics.  My other recommendation to you would be to get a pair of DPA 4061's wired into a miniplug.  Then try these line in and see your results.  If they are overloading Get a sound professionals batterybox (as cheap as $35 I think) which are very tiny and that will take care of your overloading.
mics & cameras

Offline tod3sschu3tze

• Taperssection Regular
  • Tape Metal!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 01:21:28 PM »
my budget is about 300 €, so i think the dpa's are too expensive.
so do you not recommend the okm's?
Stealth Setup(s):

NEW ONE:

OLD ONE:

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 01:09:50 AM »
The Soundman OKMII "Rock" or "Rock Studio" mics will record EXTREMELY LOUD sound without distorting. I know, I have a pair of them sitting on my shelf.  :)   I have gotten very nice results using them to record loud shows, from about 3 meters from the PA speaker. (If you get right up against the PA speaker, it sounds like you lose some highend frequencies... so I back up until I get more highend frequencies)   Also, no, you can turn your head and not get any clicking noises.  Oh, and I never have put them in my ears to record... I always have mounted them inside a hat.

Like Sanjay said, the Microphone Madness Sennheiser mics (cardioid pattern) will not distort run line into an iriver.  What is really nice about these microphones by Microphone Madness is: you can tape from farther back, and it will still sound very good.  And, you will not pick up as much crowd noise as you would with omnidirectional microphones (like the Core Sound Binaurals or OKMIIR mics).

Also like Sanjay said, there is a pair of these Microphone Madness mics for sale in the Yard Sale section, and I can send you samples made with these microphones if you would like.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 02:38:23 AM »
The Soundman OKMII "Rock" or "Rock Studio" mics will record EXTREMELY LOUD sound without distorting. I know, I have a pair of them sitting on my shelf.  :)   I have gotten very nice results using them to record loud shows, from about 3 meters from the PA speaker. (If you get right up against the PA speaker, it sounds like you lose some highend frequencies... so I back up until I get more highend frequencies)   Also, no, you can turn your head and not get any clicking noises.  Oh, and I never have put them in my ears to record... I always have mounted them inside a hat.

Like Sanjay said, the Microphone Madness Sennheiser mics (cardioid pattern) will not distort run line into an iriver.  What is really nice about these microphones by Microphone Madness is: you can tape from farther back, and it will still sound very good.  And, you will not pick up as much crowd noise as you would with omnidirectional microphones (like the Core Sound Binaurals or OKMIIR mics).

Also like Sanjay said, there is a pair of these Microphone Madness mics for sale in the Yard Sale section, and I can send you samples made with these microphones if you would like.

i agree.  don't use these mics inside your ear, unless you want to go deaf before you're 30.  you've got cslcb.  mount them the same way.

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 02:56:57 AM »

i agree.  don't use these mics inside your ear, unless you want to go deaf before you're 30.  you've got cslcb.  mount them the same way.

Yes! I didn't even think to mention that. I always wear earplugs, and would suggest anyone else do the same... regardless of whether or not you're taping near the PA.

Offline tod3sschu3tze

• Taperssection Regular
  • Tape Metal!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 08:21:52 AM »

this sounds quite good :D do you mean these?

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=69493.0

and yeah, like i said, i wear earplugs, right in front of PA would be killer :-\

sound samples would be great, thank you!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 08:29:01 AM by tod3sschu3tze »
Stealth Setup(s):

NEW ONE:

OLD ONE:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com