Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any stereo dealers here?  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Any stereo dealers here?
« on: April 19, 2005, 03:08:37 AM »
Hi, I'm poor and will be moving soon so I will be wanting to upgrade my stereo in a big way.  I've got around $700 in my moving budget for stereo gear so how far will that get me?  I'd like the following at least:

Exceptionally clean reciever with DTS decoding capabilities
Surround sound possibilities but not neccessity
A subwoofer that an audiophile will appreciate (or large speakers with good subs)
A full range EQ

So does anyone here deal nice stereo equiptment (not sony, rca, pioneer level stuff) and be able to cut me a deal on a nice setup in that pricerange?  I don't need anything loud enough to get the police involved regularly but something that I can feel from accross the room at least.  Would I be better off buying a small PA system to use as a home stereo?  Thanks.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: Any stereo dealers here?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 07:44:32 AM »
don't buy a PA dood.

are you worried about home theater?  If not, I'd suggest not worrying about DTS decoding, and grab a nicer 2 channel system.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 09:00:41 AM »
$700 will not cover what you're looking to attain.  a modest sub will chew up most of that.  like your recording rig, you may want to buy your playback rig in stages.  hang out in the playback area for a while to see what's going on, and to see if your budget is realistic.  do you already have decent speakers?  is this to be a multifunction playback system, surround and 2 channel?  like pfife mentioned, if you don't need it, look at spending more on the components for 2 channel.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 09:13:46 AM »
So does anyone here deal nice stereo equiptment (not sony, rca, pioneer level stuff) and be able to cut me a deal on a nice setup in that pricerange?  I don't need anything loud enough to get the police involved regularly but something that I can feel from accross the room at least.  Would I be better off buying a small PA system to use as a home stereo?  Thanks.

For the amount of money you want to spend, you should be looking at Sony instead of dissing them.  The Sony home theater receivers are getting rave reveiws over in the playback forum.  I run a Yamaha HT receiver that is pretty good and definitely within your price range.

Are you looking to buy receiver, speakers and subwoofer for $700? There is no way to do that if you don't buy consumer-grade equipment. A "subwoofer that an audiophile will appreciate" costs more than your entire budget.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 10:06:07 AM »
my $.02 - spend that money on an SBM-1.  That way, when you get your playback, you'll have a lot more sick tapes to listen to on it.   ;)
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 10:16:38 AM »
my $.02 - spend that money on an SBM-1.  That way, when you get your playback, you'll have a lot more sick tapes to listen to on it.   ;)

I'll second that.  Capture the best recording you can - you only get one shot at that.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 10:22:49 AM »
Yeah, I didn't start spending serious money on playback until I didn't feel the need to gear whore anymore...

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 10:46:47 AM »
If you can get your hands on one of the STR-DA3000ES recievers it's a Great Start!!

Sony is stopping production on the digital amps for their "lower" ES units.  Our take on it was that it was costing them too much money.  You should see the inside of one of those units! I would look into getting one of those while the getting is good.  A simple transport that receiver and a par of decent speakers will get you a suprisingly clean, powerful sound with an incredible sound-stage. I would highly recommend this aquisistion before they dissapear.

You're definately looking at more $$ and some time finding the right gear.  Keep tabs on Audiogon for the occasional steal on a great pair of used speakers.

Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 05:54:04 PM »
Cost cutting and non renewing lines when it comes to digital amps seems to be the common theme.  You should see what they did to the power supply when panasonic switched out the xr-45 for the 50/70 and the soon to be released xr-55.  A shame really.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 07:11:19 PM »
If you can get your hands on one of the STR-DA3000ES recievers it's a Great Start!!

Sony is stopping production on the digital amps for their "lower" ES units.  Our take on it was that it was costing them too much money.  You should see the inside of one of those units! I would look into getting one of those while the getting is good.  A simple transport that receiver and a par of decent speakers will get you a suprisingly clean, powerful sound with an incredible sound-stage. I would highly recommend this aquisistion before they dissapear.

You're definately looking at more $$ and some time finding the right gear.  Keep tabs on Audiogon for the occasional steal on a great pair of used speakers.

I couldn't agree more. Find a Sony outlet in your area and see if they've got a refurb STR-DA3000ES in stock. Mine was $500 and change and sounds amazing. They come with a five year warranty as well. Sony fluff off.

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 04:29:27 AM »
Is Kenwood worth the money?  The local kenwood store is having a clearance before moving to their new location...I've always thought they were just a name brand and not that great though so what's the reality?
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 08:24:06 AM »
New sony STR-DA2000es for $495
pair of EPOS EL3 monitors, $250 new I believe.
perhaps some used Paradigm monitors...that would be a good option too.
or maybe some maggie MMGs used for $3-400.

no sub, so save up.
killer system though.  cheap money.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 08:27:07 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 10:22:33 AM »
does the sony have 4ohm speaker outs?

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 10:47:49 AM »
does the sony have 4ohm speaker outs?

I wouldn't recommend the 4 ohm Speakers with the digital amps.  Sony says go for it but they seem to actually do better with a little more impedance. There's no switch or setting but unlike traditional amp ratings the wattage goes down for the lower impedance speakers.  There's something happening there.

Ben
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 09:28:13 AM »
I belive I read somewhere that the nominal output of the Sony 5000es is around 6ohms.
it will drive a small 4ohm load like an MMG just fine, i would guess.
but I wouldnt hook up anything bigger than that.  it wouldnt be driven very well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com