Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M Audio Fast Track Pro  (Read 12339 times)

Offline markgarrigan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Third Fence Post
M Audio Fast Track Pro
« on: April 15, 2006, 02:22:29 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with the http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro-main.html? It seems to be similar to the Edirol UA-5. Which is what I once used but sold it a while ago. I used the walmart dvd battery with my UA-5. Does anyone know if that battery would work for the Fast Track? Thanks for any info.

RebelRebel

Re: M Audio Fast Track Pro
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 03:18:21 PM »
yep, 9V DC. looks like it is just a matter of getting the battery and the right plug. it isnt standalone I dont think. The ua5 is able to be modded for standalone usage, without a PC to interface with.

you using it with a computer?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 03:21:47 PM by Teddy »

Offline markgarrigan

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Third Fence Post
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 03:43:29 PM »
Using with JB3 for live concerts and PowerBook G4 for podcasting. So the I/Os don't work unless attached to usb? Even the analog? I was using a stock UA-5 > jb3 (Analog). I just need a decent pre-amp that i can use in both the analog and digital domains.

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 07:28:40 PM »
So the I/Os don't work unless attached to usb? Even the analog? I was using a stock UA-5 > jb3 (Analog). I just need a decent pre-amp that i can use in both the analog and digital domains.

I was going to get one of these, as I thought it would be a great unit to record into my Powerbook, but also to be able to use out in the field w/a MT 24/96...

I talked with tech support, and they assured me that it definitely will not function as a standalone unit...

I'm not sure if it could be modded to do so or not, but it won't do it right outta the box.

Bummer too, as it's an affordable unit w/lots of options...

:-\

Offline markgarrigan

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Third Fence Post
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 10:03:16 PM »
Damn... it does look like a nice unit to do exactly what I want it to do. What's wrong with making a unit just like this that has all I/Os available whenever you want them?

Offline branas

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 10:48:14 AM »
I had this same problem because I wanted to use my MAudio Firewire 410 Card (very similar to the fast track) and you can't route the signal without being hooked to the computer. Bummer. All it needs is a button on the front panel that assigns output to SPDIF.
Mobile - C414B-XLS/ST->V3->744T
Home/Studio - Various Mics->RNP/Vintech Dual72/Focusrite OctoPre->Digi002->ProToolsLE

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 01:21:22 PM »
I had this same problem because I wanted to use my MAudio Firewire 410 Card (very similar to the fast track) and you can't route the signal without being hooked to the computer. Bummer. All it needs is a button on the front panel that assigns output to SPDIF.

See if you can try it out in the store.

The docs definitely say it will run standalone!!! (I mean the Fasttrack pro.)

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Jamos

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 03:42:55 PM »

Richard

well i talked to m-audio tech support about a month ago, and asked this question specifically...the guy had to check it out and get back to me.  He said there was absolutely no way it would function standalone, which was the main reason I didn't buy one.

haven't looked into it since then, but maybe something's changed?

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 04:05:16 PM »

Richard

well i talked to m-audio tech support about a month ago, and asked this question specifically...the guy had to check it out and get back to me.  He said there was absolutely no way it would function standalone, which was the main reason I didn't buy one.

haven't looked into it since then, but maybe something's changed?

Well, I would trust the docs more than a single tech/sales rep.  To be sure, just try it out next time you're in a music store that has one.  Plug the walwart in, but leave the USB off.  Then see if there is an SPDIF signal coming out of it.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

cmoorevt

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 06:26:37 PM »
Here is the line from the manual on standalone mode:

Stand-alone Mode
The Fast Track Pro can act as a stand-alone mic preamp with 24-bit/44.1kHz A/D converters. Inputs 1 and 2 are sent to the S/PDIF Out and analog Outputs 3 and 4 post inserts.

Does the jb3 even allow for 24bit recording?

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 06:34:49 PM »

Stand-alone Mode
The Fast Track Pro can act as a stand-alone mic preamp with 24-bit/44.1kHz A/D converters. Inputs 1 and 2 are sent to the S/PDIF Out and analog Outputs 3 and 4 post inserts.

Does the jb3 even allow for 24bit recording?

The JB3 allows for up to 16/48.

cmoorevt

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 06:42:21 PM »
The JB3 allows for up to 16/48.

yeah, thats what I thought. thanks.  looks like the original poster won't get very far with this, but I'll give it a shot next time I get to the store that sells em around here.

Offline Jamos

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 04:27:51 PM »

Stand-alone Mode

friggin' M-Audio...
guess their tech support people don't even know what the hell they are talking about.  Honestly, after owning the Microtrack and a few other pieces of their gear, I don't know if I'd ever actually have confidence that their products do what they say they will do.

:-\

Offline azama

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 04:23:01 PM »
I bought it and test it in standalone mode with a pair of Oktava Mc 012.
This is working well and this is a nice light box.

The preamps seems good to me but I think there won't be enough gain in some situations.

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 04:38:02 PM »
I bought it and test it in standalone mode with a pair of Oktava Mc 012.
This is working well and this is a nice light box.

The preamps seems good to me but I think there won't be enough gain in some situations.

Great news!  Glad to hear it is working for you.

If you get a chancel, I would love to see the innards of this gear.  How easy is it to take apart?  If you can do it, snap some close up pics and post here.

Thanks,
 Richard

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com