Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AES coax to a spdif input  (Read 3348 times)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
AES coax to a spdif input
« on: August 03, 2007, 10:31:04 PM »
Has anyone sent a AES signal from their minime (XLR output) to the spdif input of their HDP2 via xlr to rca cable?  Were there any issues? pops, clicks, not sync up ect.....OOK ???
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: AES coax to a spdif input
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 02:04:32 AM »
it will probably work as is, but would be more robust if you used one of the canare bcj 110 ohm xlr -> 75 ohm bnc transformer

neutrik makes a similar model, theyre both under $30 and create extra digi outputs on all the gear out there with aes outs, i think i have a few extras around here if you want one we could figure it out

Has anyone sent a AES signal from their minime (XLR output) to the spdif input of their HDP2 via xlr to rca cable?  Were there any issues? pops, clicks, not sync up ect.....OOK ???
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 02:19:41 AM »
I am looking for anyone who has already done it to confirm its been done.  All I know of is speculation but I don't know of anyone who has done it yet. 
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 10:14:49 AM »
i use a 75ohm cable wired female xlr > rca for the aes 1 output of the v-3.  this goes to the mt 24/96 with no problems.
i can make you one if you need one.
thanks
ed
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 11:19:36 AM »
But does your v3 output a spdif signal on the xlr output.  My question is not wheather the cable can be made, I know that.  My question is specific to minime and hdp2 users. Has anyone actually sent a AES signal to the hdp2 from a minime's xrl out to the hdp2 rca inputs.  Once I know this for sure I will order the cable.  But I have yet to see a minime user with an hdp2 say this is possible.  I just don't want to fry anything or get a recording with pops, clicks or f'd up wav.   Thanks  OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline deadheaded

• Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 10:46:58 PM »
just did a livingroom test going from the the aes 2 output, which is aes only, with no pops or clicks or any issues.
still not a minime, but it looks like the hd-p2 will accept an aes signal.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 10:50:17 PM »
aes and coax both put out spdif, just at different impedances. if your recorder works at all, it will almost certainly work 100% (all or nothing).

just did a livingroom test going from the the aes 2 output, which is aes only, with no pops or clicks or any issues.
still not a minime, but it looks like the hd-p2 will accept an aes signal.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 11:56:35 PM »
Thanks for all the testing guys....

Well I am still not sure if its recomended but here is some info I found out....

AES/EBU
(Audio Engineering Society/European Broadcasting Union) A professional serial interface for transferring digital audio from CD and DVD players to amplifiers and TVs. AES/EBU is typically used to transmit PCM and Dolby Digital 5.1, but is not tied to any sampling rate or audio standard.

AES3 and AES3id - Short and Long Distances

AES3 uses 110 ohm shielded twisted pair (STP) cable with XLR connectors up to a distance of 100 meters. AES3id uses 75 ohm coaxial cable and BNC connectors for up to 1,000 meters. "Unbalanced" coax is better for long distances than "balanced" twisted pairs.

S/PDIF

S/PDIF is the consumer version of AES/EBU and uses a lower signal voltage. They both support the same audio data with slight differences in the frame bits. Conversion between these interfaces must be handled with electronic circuits, not by adapting one connector to another.

signal level is also significantly different   AES/EBU puts out 3 to 10 V  and spdif puts out 0.5 to 1 V

This signal level difference is what concerns me.  Sending 3 volts to a 1 volt input makes me concerned about premature failure(sounds dirty).  Also both support the same audio data with slight differences in the frame bits.  Although it appears one can do it what are the long term affects on the circut.   mmmmmm. 

OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline deadheaded

• Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 12:14:38 AM »
aes and coax both put out spdif, just at different impedances. if your recorder works at all, it will almost certainly work 100% (all or nothing).

i'm pretty sure that the eas 2 output on the v-3 is aes and not spdif.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.166 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com