Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best software for a beginner looking to start syncing video with seperate audio?  (Read 10503 times)

Offline Ringside

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hello all,

I know a lot of you have done it, but I've never tried syncing video with a separate audio recording before. Which software is good for a novice? I'll be adding wav files to avchd video recordings.

Any links to guides explaining the process would also be excellent if anyone has any such things.

Thanks all!

- Ross

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Sony Vegas is what i use and has free 30 day trial so go ahead and download it now.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Vegas. The different versions are mostly about how many layers (text and video) you can work with.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Ringside

• Taperssection Newbie
Thanks guys. Got Vegas running now. Time to hunt for tutorials.

Offline taperdave

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • my ring of brass lies rusting on the ground
I found Sony Vegas pro 12 to a be a HUGE upgrade to prior versions in smoothness, speed, lack if crashing etc.

In a nutshell toss the pieces into the timeline, pan one source hard right and one source hard left then get a kinda close sync around a loud prominent sound (a first snare drum hit to begin a song is a nice cue), now maximize the height of the two sources and zoom in to the nice cue you selected (good idea to drop a marker here), visually align the cue sound and then listen (you can slow down the speed of the paly in the lower left corner if that helps), now zoom in a little more and visually align a little better and listen again, repeat till perfect.
HINT: only move one clip (whichever one is shorter)
HINT TWO: place your longest, most complete clip in the top line of the project, pan it hard left and compare all other clips to this reference clip
HINT THREE: do NOT join audio or video clips in another program first, this sucks but most devices drop a few frames between clips, if you join them they look fine but if you play them against a continuous source they don't match properly, do all your alignment in vegas, for me the Sony M-10, does not drop samples, the editrol does (about 3.5-3.75 frames) and the Sony and Panasonic cams do (my panny drops exactly three frames at each split, about a twentieth of a second).
HINT FOUR: save a lot with new file names, so if you botch something, you can go back to a prebotch save without wondering what is what

Dave

Offline Ringside

• Taperssection Newbie
Thanks for this info taperdave.....been enjoying Vegas so far but still have a lot to learn.

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hi!
Any other editing software that is recommended for AVCHD-editing? I would also like to sync another audio track...
If I was getting the Vegas, which one is the version to get? Is the EDIT version enough?
-colargol
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline beatkilla

Im pretty sure even the cheapest Vegas allows several audio tracks these days.You can download a trial of a few different versions(studio)(Pro) and use one for 30days than download another for 30 more :laugh:

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
Another vote for Vegas here.  Also, if you're exporting videos to go online, I use the recommended settings here to get the maximum quality out of minimum file size:
http://vimeo.com/help/compression

If you watch the Vegas-specific tutorial video though, the one thing I do differently is to have the audio bitrate set to 48kHz, which is both the format I record in and what Vimeo's written guide on the left recommends.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:40:45 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline colargol

• Taperssection Regular
I tried a trial version of vegas, which seems to be a great program...
However, the trial version has a "made with Vegas pro" logo on the outputted video, which is a bummer, because I only wanted to edit one video, and therefore it does not feel right to buy the program...

Offline beatkilla

Oh wow all Vegas trials used to be full with no watermarks,i didn't know they had changed that. :-[

Offline beatkilla

It looks like watermark came in with 12 and 13 so try 10,9,8etc.pro,studio

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/updates/vegasfamily

Offline colargol

• Taperssection Regular
It looks like watermark came in with 12 and 13 so try 10,9,8etc.pro,studio

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/updates/vegasfamily

Thanks, I tried version 11, it did not have the logo in trial version.

Offline JoeRay

• Joe Ray Skrha, Attorney at Law
  • Taperssection Newbie
If you use MAC, Dual Eyes is the simplest and most accurate...
Joe Ray Skrha
Videographer-Songwriter-FlyFisherman
Attorney at Law
110 North Willow St; Suite 137
Kenai, AK 99611
907-283-7100 office
907-283-6100 fax
907-398-1800 cell
joeray@alaska.net

DF81

I've said before, Final Cut Pro has a sync track feature that uses an algorithm to sync audio tracks, rather than lining the up manually.  This is an excellent feature I wish Logic Pro X would include w/ an update.

This is a new thread, but anyone good w/ color grading?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 01:35:34 PM by DF81 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com