Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Aerco MP-2 preamp - Part 2  (Read 142651 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Aerco MP-2 preamp - Part 2
« Reply #210 on: May 08, 2015, 12:55:27 PM »
So I have read Part 1 & 2, any positive experience with 9v rechargeables? I have a pretty red Aerco coming soon but it doesn't have a jack for external batteries & as much as I don't mind sending it in for repair I also don't want to wait a month or so. I have an email into Jerry to ask if I can do the external jack myself but haven't heard back yet. If I can't do the jack I'll at least want rechargeable 9v's vs buying disposable batteries.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #211 on: May 08, 2015, 01:36:43 PM »
So I have read Part 1 & 2, any positive experience with 9v rechargeables? I have a pretty red Aerco coming soon but it doesn't have a jack for external batteries & as much as I don't mind sending it in for repair I also don't want to wait a month or so. I have an email into Jerry to ask if I can do the external jack myself but haven't heard back yet. If I can't do the jack I'll at least want rechargeable 9v's vs buying disposable batteries.

Low-Discharge Imedion 9v NiMH rechargable batteries are the shit. They make 8.4v and 9.6v versions, the former having slightly higher capacity but with lower output voltage that might not work for every device. I don't know the particulars of the Aerco, but the decision really has to do with the minimum voltage it will operate at. When the 8.4v versions discharge, they'll spend the majority of their discharge cycle, I believe, somewhere between 7-8vs and drop off below 7 when they're fading. Obviously, the 9.6v versions maintain a slightly higher voltage which makes some devices a lot happier.

I bought 10 9.6v batts about 2.5 years ago for use with Nbox / Reutelhuber devices and have probably run them through 150-200 cycles with no issues. Of the ten, one of them has started to warp a bit, so it's retired, but the rest are still going strong. This is interesting because the Nbox will discharge these to below 1v, which is supposedly horrible treatment for NiMH devices, but they always seem to bounce back.

Definitely don't be afraid of 9v rechargables. You're a real asshole if you continue to dump 9v coppertops in our landfill in 2015.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #212 on: May 08, 2015, 02:00:58 PM »

Low-Discharge Imedion 9v NiMH rechargable batteries are the shit. They make 8.4v and 9.6v versions, the former having slightly higher capacity but with lower output voltage that might not work for every device. I don't know the particulars of the Aerco, but the decision really has to do with the minimum voltage it will operate at. When the 8.4v versions discharge, they'll spend the majority of their discharge cycle, I believe, somewhere between 7-8vs and drop off below 7 when they're fading. Obviously, the 9.6v versions maintain a slightly higher voltage which makes some devices a lot happier.

I bought 10 9.6v batts about 2.5 years ago for use with Nbox / Reutelhuber devices and have probably run them through 150-200 cycles with no issues. Of the ten, one of them has started to warp a bit, so it's retired, but the rest are still going strong. This is interesting because the Nbox will discharge these to below 1v, which is supposedly horrible treatment for NiMH devices, but they always seem to bounce back.

Definitely don't be afraid of 9v rechargables. You're a real asshole if you continue to dump 9v coppertops in our landfill in 2015.

Good info on the rechargeables.  Thanks for sharing.

A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #213 on: May 08, 2015, 02:05:12 PM »
I think you could make an external power connector using a 9v battery connector. You would plug it into one of the three existing battery connectors.  This is based on my recollection that the three 9v's in the AERCO are wired in parallel, but I could be mistaken. Ask Jerry.  And don't mess up the polarity ;)

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #214 on: May 08, 2015, 02:44:20 PM »
I think you could make an external power connector using a 9v battery connector. You would plug it into one of the three existing battery connectors.  This is based on my recollection that the three 9v's in the AERCO are wired in parallel, but I could be mistaken. Ask Jerry.  And don't mess up the polarity ;)

They are wired in parallel & my original thought was maybe if I bought one of the 9v battery tabs that I could wire that to an external jack but I'm not sure if I'd need to do all three tabs to the power jack or not. I emailed him this morning & haven't heard back, hopefully by next week I will.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #215 on: May 08, 2015, 03:08:48 PM »

That's a great idea!

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #216 on: May 09, 2015, 12:28:42 PM »
I just put an Aerco in the YS. And I agree it'd pair nicely with your 440s.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #217 on: May 12, 2015, 03:59:51 PM »

Remember to wire the 9V battery connector with opposite polarity to how it would normally used (red wire negative, black positive), as it will be taking the place of the the battery output terminals, rather than acting as the opposite gender equipment power input.  I made cables like this for two CA-UGLY preamps to run them for an entire multi day festival on one DVD battery, avoiding the need to change batteries.

Low-Discharge Imedion 9v NiMH rechargable batteries are the shit. [snip]

Watch them as they're probably about due for replacement.  Do so before they die during a recording.  My original set of Maha 9.6V batteries eventually died right around that age, after approximately that many cycles, and when they did I screwed up a few recordings before realizing what was going on.  I was checking voltage before and after use and they measured fine, yet I started getting 'low supply voltage' type distortion in the preamps halfway through shows.  Problem was that the batteries would recover enough afterwards to measure like a 'good' although discharged cells (say 7-8V) but under-load in the device they were dropping to something like 4V or less very quickly.  Moral of the story is to measure Voltage immediately after use while the battery is still in the device to determine it's true, sustainable 'under-load' voltage.  Without a load across the battery, or measuring after use, you risk a misleading reading.

No further problems after I realized that and I caught and replaced the second set just as they were beginning to die around the ~3yr old mark before loosing a recording.  By then Maha was making the LSD version of the 9.6V (black/grey case) which also had a higher mAhr rating and that second set lasted longer and retained their charge longer than the original (white case) non-LSD 9.6Vs.

I had one of the original 9.6Vs balloon out all warped and misshapen, called Thomas Distributing to order another, and they immediately shipped a replacement free of charge.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #218 on: May 12, 2015, 04:37:13 PM »

Remember to wire the 9V battery connector with opposite polarity to how it would normally used (red wire negative, black positive), as it will be taking the place of the the battery output terminals, rather than acting as the opposite gender equipment power input.  I made cables like this for two CA-UGLY preamps to run them for an entire multi day festival on one DVD battery, avoiding the need to change batteries.

Low-Discharge Imedion 9v NiMH rechargable batteries are the shit. [snip]

Watch them as they're probably about due for replacement.  Do so before they die during a recording.  My original set of Maha 9.6V batteries eventually died right around that age, after approximately that many cycles, and when they did I screwed up a few recordings before realizing what was going on.  I was checking voltage before and after use and they measured fine, yet I started getting 'low supply voltage' type distortion in the preamps halfway through shows.  Problem was that the batteries would recover enough afterwards to measure like a 'good' although discharged cells (say 7-8V) but under-load in the device they were dropping to something like 4V or less very quickly.  Moral of the story is to measure Voltage immediately after use while the battery is still in the device to determine it's true, sustainable 'under-load' voltage.  Without a load across the battery, or measuring after use, you risk a misleading reading.

No further problems after I realized that and I caught and replaced the second set just as they were beginning to die around the ~3yr old mark before loosing a recording.  By then Maha was making the LSD version of the 9.6V (black/grey case) which also had a higher mAhr rating and that second set lasted longer and retained their charge longer than the original (white case) non-LSD 9.6Vs.

I had one of the original 9.6Vs balloon out all warped and misshapen, called Thomas Distributing to order another, and they immediately shipped a replacement free of charge.

As always Lee you're a wealth of information, I still haven't heard back from Jerry which is a little disappointing but I'm sure he's just busy. My thought is to use the 9v connector but I'm still not sure if I need to use all three or not. Jerry mentions the power Jack he installs doesn't matter what polarity is used but with my plan is imagine polarity would be a concern. I considered rechargeables but I don't think I could bring the batteries down enough per use/charge cycle to justify. I know they have no memory effect but it seems like I would feel more comfortable charging them before & after each use which would limit lifespan. Is this a correct assumption? It's what I currently do with my Eneloops in the FP24.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #219 on: May 12, 2015, 04:40:38 PM »
Make sure you have the right contact info. IIRC, he maybe has a bad email published on his website or something? I don't remember the exact issue.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #220 on: May 12, 2015, 04:41:36 PM »
Not sure about current models (mine is the 1st configuration, according to Jerry), but it's external jack can accept any polarity. Granted, it was manufactured in ~1992.

edit : Out of curiosity, I asked him how many MP-2's are out there. He said ~150.

woops, had the email backwards. Was looking at old emails. See two posts down for his current email.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 05:46:18 PM by audBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #221 on: May 12, 2015, 04:43:39 PM »
Make sure you have the right contact info. IIRC, he maybe has a bad email published on his website or something? I don't remember the exact issue.

Well then, that may be the problem since I used the link off of his webpage. Anyone have the correct address?

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #222 on: May 12, 2015, 05:41:26 PM »

Well then, that may be the problem since I used the link off of his webpage. Anyone have the correct address?

jerry@jchamkis.com

This is the one I've used recently.  He did have this to say:

"we're struggling with insane network issues"  Last contact was 5/5

A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #223 on: May 12, 2015, 06:03:02 PM »
Should be able to determine if the three 9V connectors are wired parallel or series easily using an ohmmeter.

No problem recharging NiMH 9Vs after only minor drain, I recharge them after each use with no ill effect on run-time or longevity.  If you use the 9.6V version you need the special Maha charger designed specifically for them and not just any charger.  I have the 4-bay version and it's a good charger with a 'smart' routine and separate circuit for each battery.  No switches or controls, just an LED indicator for each bay.  Runs on 12VDC so you can use it in the car or off a deep cycle battery if away from AC power.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #224 on: May 12, 2015, 06:06:28 PM »
Joined the Club about a month ago...picked up topdog's MP-2 in the yard...Course Gain 10db steps on left...Fine Gain 2db steps on right...Internal Li-Ion rechargeable...external power jack too...

Bought it to run AKG CK63's-Naiant Coupling/PFA>MP-2>Tascam DR2D...I've been comparing that setup to the Gefell M200>Portico>DR680 to get a feel for running the DR2D (haven't ran a handheld other than iRiver and Sony D8 Dat days)

I pack two bags (big rig and small) trying to convince myself I'm not losing anything with the small bag...but have yet to run the Gefell's on the Aerco.

Anyone know how long the MP-2 runs off of a MP3450 Tekkeon...I will not drag the Portico to a festival...for multiple reasons.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com