Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony releases special memory cards for music. Costs 5x the regular price.  (Read 20507 times)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
Re: Sony releases special memory cards for music. Costs 5x the regular price.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 05:04:25 PM »
Now that I've said that, watch the next issues of Tape OP and Mix magazines come out with articles about using SD cards as primary storage.

;)

Just making sure you know that I wasn't debating your earlier point with the response I made earlier today as much as just pointing out that there's probably a market out there amongst the 'elite' users that would shell out $160 for a magic fairy gold dust SD card without any proof of whether or not the gold dust works.

Could be, could be ... but I doubt it. But then I could be wrong as well. It wouldn't be the first time.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline kubacheck

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My Flickr site
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 05:10:21 PM »
to me, this is a lot like the debate about mic's in another thread.... perhaps the "costs 5X more" card does sound better, but does it sound 5X better??....  I wasn't complaining about the cards I'm using now, so I'd have no reason to buy the new high end card, but that's just my personal choice based on what works for me.....

Offline Gene Poole

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 09:47:43 AM »
Any device that utilizes an SD card with a file system has buffered, checksummed, CRC'd, RLL'd, the datastream long before it ever gets written to the SD media (which itself having a filesystem driver, manages buffering, checksumming, CRCing, etc).  In other words, this is snake oil at its finest.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 11:37:44 AM »
Any device that utilizes an SD card with a file system has buffered, checksummed, CRC'd, RLL'd, the datastream long before it ever gets written to the SD media (which itself having a filesystem driver, manages buffering, checksumming, CRCing, etc).  In other words, this is snake oil at its finest.

Snake oil, eh? Have you ever used 433Mhz transmitter/receiver hardware while logging to an SD card? It may sound obscure, but it is a very common scenario.

Did you read the links I posted?  This is about preventing the SD card from interfering with other devices and circuits (regardless of whether those devices or circuits send data to the SD card). Not everyone uses SD cards in the same way, or for the same application.

I once had an SD 722 on loan that would produce measureable electrical noise on my recordings whenever data was flushed to the hard drive (at 24/44.1k that was every six seconds).  I noticed it when I was doing noise floor measurements of my Schoeps. Device noise, whether from hard drives or other storage media, is a very real thing.

Just because it may not apply your specific use - or you have never checked for it - does not make it snake oil.  Not everyone can install their own shielding around SD card slots. For those who cannot, and other situations where shielding is not a good solution, this may be a good alternative.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 01:29:16 PM »

Just because it may not apply your specific use - or you have never checked for it - does not make it snake oil.  Not everyone can install their own shielding around SD card slots. For those who cannot, and other situations where shielding is not a good solution, this may be a good alternative.

This is an interesting phenomenon that has never affected me, so I appreciate being educated, but no, sorry... I don't agree.

The issue is one of marketing, which is pure snake oil. If the card is meant to solve a practical issue of noise interference, then that's how it should be marketed, but that's not what they're doing. They're marketing this to "audiophiles" as "premium sound," presumably as an accessory to their shit-tastic $1,200 walkman. All things being equal, this card cannot improve audio quality; it can only prevent errors and noise interference.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 01:47:44 PM »
Perhaps there was good intention from an R&D perspective (in regards to IGTE mentioned), but then the marketeers finagled about afterwards?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Gene Poole

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 02:18:11 PM »

Snake oil, eh? Have you ever used 433Mhz transmitter/receiver hardware while logging to an SD card? It may sound obscure, but it is a very common scenario.

Did you read the links I posted?  This is about preventing the SD card from interfering with other devices and circuits (regardless of whether those devices or circuits send data to the SD card). Not everyone uses SD cards in the same way, or for the same application.

I once had an SD 722 on loan that would produce measureable electrical noise on my recordings whenever data was flushed to the hard drive (at 24/44.1k that was every six seconds).  I noticed it when I was doing noise floor measurements of my Schoeps. Device noise, whether from hard drives or other storage media, is a very real thing.

Sorry, I got into this thread late; I didn't follow your links.  I'll go back and check them out.

So your saying these SD cards are marketed as producing less spurious emissions?  I didn't see that in any of the sony claims.  I would think this would be dependent on the hardware the SD is plugged into more than the SD itself.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 08:03:44 PM »
The press release I read for this didn't have the "for premium sound" label. That is pretty cheesy! :P
I'll bet the engineers who developed it hate that marketing.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com