Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Home stereo questions

(1/4) > >>

rhett:
I am in the process of putting together a new home system that will NOT be used for a home theater.  There will be no TV hooked in to this. I was interested in hearing peoples opinions in a few areas.

1. The whole power thing.  When you go into a high end dealer they immediately show you a 1300 dolar receiver that is rated at 50 watts per channel and tell you it has more power than a 600 dollar 100 watts per channel receiver. I dont get it. Also what about integrated preamps?

2. Speakers -I know that it is based on what you like but just looking for opinions.

3. CD players - the hight end ones cost 600 bucks.  Single tray.  is there that much of a difference between a 600 dollar single tray vs a 300 dollar denon 5 cd changer?

Any inputs is greatly appreciated.

Rhett
Pittsburgh

John R:
i predict this will be moved

jpschust:
well its gonna get moved, but what the hell. ill take a shot.

1. Power is more than just wpc.  Power is clenliness, warmth, coloration, tone, etc.  Better components =more expensive.  I generally dont like integrated pres, see below for my reasoning.

2. I like the b&w nautilus series, the magnepan, wilson audio stuff.  

3. Yes there is a difference.  The difference comes in jitter, speed of transfer, laser alignment, etc.  BTW, the high end cd players arent 600 bucks, they are more like 2k.  I know, I was looking at the new Arcam that came out about 6 mo ago.  I'm not a fan of multidisc changers and here is why- I am under the impression that it is better to have something that does one thing really well than a lot of things poorly.  That being said, there are many affordable options out there for CD transports.

Tim:
price range? that would help a lot!

jpschust:

--- Quote from: Tim on August 09, 2004, 07:40:13 PM ---price range? that would help a lot!

--- End quote ---

you of all people should know that price range changes once you start listening :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version