Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps vms02ib DC connector info needed!  (Read 20240 times)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps vms02ib DC connector info needed!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 09:43:56 PM »
P.S.: Does anyone else find that you have to put batteries into the battery holder "just so" for them to make reliable contact?
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 11:27:38 AM »
P.S.: Does anyone else find that you have to put batteries into the battery holder "just so" for them to make reliable contact?

Yes. And the Battery box needs to be situated "just so" in order for the lid to be closed. hence my search for a reliable external powering option.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 02:29:13 PM »

Yes. And the Battery box needs to be situated "just so" in order for the lid to be closed. hence my search for a reliable external powering option.

E.A.A. PSP-2 is the same way

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 06:24:49 PM »
Dr. Noah, once the batteries are in the holder "just so" and the lid is secured, is it reliable from then on? Can you transport the battery-equipped preamp in a gig bag, for example, and reliably have it work when you get to the recording site?

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 09:57:52 AM »
Dr. Noah, once the batteries are in the holder "just so" and the lid is secured, is it reliable from then on? Can you transport the battery-equipped preamp in a gig bag, for example, and reliably have it work when you get to the recording site?

Yes. Once I get the battery holder in place, close the lid, and test it- the unit works. With high capacity batteries, I can run the unit for two ~ 4 hour gigs.

So when, for example, I have a two night run, I load up the vms in the bag and don’t touch it until I get home.
Recording:
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 02:10:48 PM »
Not sure if the 02ib has similar layout inside the metal case as the 52UB but I'm always afraid that one of the circuit boards is going to break off whenever I'm trying to slide the battery tray into its space so that it is making contact correctly. The circuit board bends/flexes/gives a bit whenever I need to slide the tray in and my fear is that someday that could snap. Its the main reason I dont use the internal battery tray.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 05:20:11 PM »
In my VMS 02 IB, there's an otherwise unpopulated circuit board with two flat spring contacts that are directly, physically in contact with the battery holder when the battery holder is in place.

This board is distinctly "wiggly" when the battery holder is not in place. (See photo below of a mysterious finger wiggling this board.) I think that this is by design--but I must admit that the design makes me just a little queasy.

--best regards
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 05:22:36 PM by DSatz »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2019, 09:10:30 PM »
People, Schoeps didn't use a "proprietary" power connector. It's literally a standard item (thus the DIN number)--and it was, and is (and presumably will remain) available from a number of sources in Europe if not elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 02:22:29 PM by DSatz »

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2019, 08:34:09 AM »
In my VMS 02 IB, there's an otherwise unpopulated circuit board with two flat spring contacts that are directly, physically in contact with the battery holder when the battery holder is in place.

This board is distinctly "wiggly" when the battery holder is not in place. (See photo below of a mysterious finger wiggling this board.) I think that this is by design--but I must admit that the design makes me just a little queasy.

--best regards

I've been inside my VMS's quite a bit over the years so I've gotten to know some of their quirkiness.  You're correct...that loose board is by design...or should I say that it's supposed to be loose.  Kind of weird that it's not fastened securely somehow when everything is installed properly, but that's how they all are.  As far as I recall, there are only two functions of that board...one is to provide the two contact points for the battery sled and the other is to provide two wires (black and red) for power connection to the power input section of the VMS circuit, which is on the front board that sits directly behind the front panel.

As far as the battery sled making wonky contact, I have two suggestions.  First is to gently pull out on the flat spring contacts to increase the amount of force they exert on the battery sled contacts.  I've done this n a number of the VMS's I've owned.  I know it's a bit unnerving to think about bending those silver tabs back out, but they're very springy and as long as you just give them a gentle pull and don't force anything, you won't fatigue the silver tabs enough to break them or cause any damage.  Think of it this way...after many years those silver tabs have probably deformed slightly to flatten out a bit under continuous long term pressure from the sled contacts, so pulling them a bit might restore them to their original position.

Second thing to try is to slide a piece of cardboard or a thin spacer of some kind onto the back side of the battery sled to cause the sled to push up a bit firmer against the contacts and to take up any potential slack or movement that the battery sled might have while the lid is closed. 

Hope this helps.

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2019, 09:30:56 AM »
People, Schoeps didn't use a "proprietary" power connector.

Correct.  The connector tip is DIN45323, which is not Schoeps proprietary.

I think that there are a couple of reasons people have been calling it proprietary 1) Redding Audio used to supply replacement connector assemblies, but when they ran out of them a few years ago (I bought their last one) they could no longer supply replacements.  The part that Redding supplied was an assembly...consisting of the DIN45323 connector and an unterminated two foot long cable that was integrated with the connector.  IIRC the Redding part was supplied with a Schoeps part number, but I'm not 100% about that.   

It's literally a standard item (thus the DIN number)--and it was, and is (and presumably will remain) available from a number of sources in Europe if not elsewhere.

FWIW, I researched the availability of these three or four years ago and literally searched worldwide, which isn't necessarily to say that it's not available, but that I was unsuccessful after a concerted effort and making contact with the several European and US based sources that I was able to find on the internet.  While the part can be found in the catalog listings of a number of sources, the actual availability of the connector for our purposes seems to be another story.  The main issues were a) that the connector was not available on its own...it was stocked as part of a larger assembly that made the overall cost too expensive (something like $40 each in one case, if I remember correctly), and b) that they could only be purchased as a bulk purchase...the supplier would not sell say five or ten of them at a time.

I ended up finding a place in Europe that had ten pieces that I was able to make work for me...one end has the DIN45323 connector and the other end has the female side of an adaptaplug.  I bought all of them and was able to make connectors for myself that work great.  I think I made a couple of them for some other TSers.  I do have the remaining connectors, but I've moved recently and they're in storage up in Pennsylvania so there's no way I can get my hands on them right now.

Here's a supplier with a US presence:
https://en.globtek.com/news/molded-din-45323-style-low-voltage-plug-provides-a-low-cost-alternative-to-assembled-type-in-power-supply-and-low-voltage-cabling-applications

Richard...I looked into this supplier and communicated directly with their sales department.  I cannot recall what exactly was the issue, but the bottom line is that they would not sell me individual DIN45323 connectors.  It seems like the guy told me that they only make this connector for one of their industrial customers who orders it as part of a larger assembly or perhaps they order it so that it can be mass produced by them as part of a larger assembly.  Nevertheless, they wouldn't sell me a small quantity of them. 

That's not to say that someone else would get the same story if they tried, or that this situation hasn't changed in the last 3 or 4 years since I tried.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:38:01 AM by fanofjam »

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2019, 01:02:45 PM »
I got a bunch of these connectors, I think. I also got a 8 x AA sled, I just need to send it to someone to wire up.
Recording:

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2019, 10:03:15 AM »
I got a bunch of these connectors, I think. I also got a 8 x AA sled, I just need to send it to someone to wire up.

^
Can you point us to a source for those connectors?   Thanks Noah!
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2019, 10:34:24 AM »

^

Looks like the eBay link is dead. I’ll send you one.
Recording:

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2019, 10:58:16 AM »

^

Looks like the eBay link is dead. I’ll send you one.

Thank Noah.  Sent you a PM.
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com