Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track - announced at NAMM  (Read 120255 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track - announced at NAMM
« Reply #285 on: May 28, 2010, 04:22:10 PM »
  Could do one channel of each?

One channel of each wouldn't be good for accessing stereo imaging differences between the pre-amps.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #286 on: May 28, 2010, 08:00:48 PM »
good point. 

we'll see, it's a back burner project

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #287 on: May 28, 2010, 09:47:42 PM »
An appropriate comparison should involve one set of mics and some XLR splitters at the appropriate place in the chain - this way all things are equal in terms of mics, pattern/placement, cables etc. are the same.  It should then be repeated in different circumstances (indoor vs. outdoor, club vs theatre vs larger venue, different types of music etc.)  After all that, the various recordings should be played "blind" to a variety of folks (i.e. no idea which is which).  Then the results should be compared.  I'm guessing different folks will like different gear under different circumstances...

As for the MP-2 - I've used one for years with my KM140s and always loved the combo.  I also like the variable gain as opposed to the stepped gain on other pre-amps I've used.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline dgale

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #288 on: May 28, 2010, 09:49:25 PM »
On a previous reply in this thread someone mentioned formating SD cards before using in this deck - can someone elaborate?  I've always just popped brand new SD cards into whatever device I'm using them with and away I go - is there some intermediate step folks are recommending before using new cards?

Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #289 on: May 28, 2010, 10:18:37 PM »
^^^Formatting the card will bring the card back to it's factory-condition.  If you never format, sometimes things don't completely erase and fragments can be left on the card which can corrupt the card.  I think too that formatting the card in it's proper deck will help the deck recognize the card properly.  I always format AFTER I transfer.  Formatting will erase EVERYTHING that is on the card.  I'm sure that I'm a little off on my explanations, but that's the gist of it.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

kirk97132

« Reply #290 on: May 28, 2010, 11:09:23 PM »
An appropriate comparison should involve one set of mics and some XLR splitters at the appropriate place in the chain - this way all things are equal in terms of mics, pattern/placement, cables etc. are the same.  It should then be repeated in different circumstances (indoor vs. outdoor, club vs theatre vs larger venue, different types of music etc.)  After all that, the various recordings should be played "blind" to a variety of folks (i.e. no idea which is which).  Then the results should be compared.  I'm guessing different folks will like different gear under different circumstances...

As for the MP-2 - I've used one for years with my KM140s and always loved the combo.  I also like the variable gain as opposed to the stepped gain on other pre-amps I've used.
Yeah, I dunno about the spliters.  First off the 480's would require phantom.  Not so sure I'd want to send phantom down the line because of what it might do to the signal.  And who knows is one units phantom is (cleaner, better, different).  Second by splitting you change the load hence you change the impedance and I don't know what that would do to the sound.   I'd run the two sets of mics for one set of music and then switch.   

I agree about the MP-2 gain although I rarely have to turn it up at all at rock shows.  The V2 is relatively new to me so I am still getting used to it and the UA-5 has the same type of variable gain as the MP-2.  For the most part I have been leaving the 680 set at low sensitivity and using the trim

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #291 on: May 29, 2010, 06:28:39 AM »
You need the MacArthur VMS-4:
http://www.posthorn.com/Macvk_5.html

It's a passive device..  "The VMS-4 is a two-channel device, each side having a transformer with a single primary winding and three secondary windings. This gives each side an input, a direct out and three transformer-isolated outputs."

the direct out might be a little different from the 3 isolated outputs, so that means you only run a 3-pre-amp comp at a time, not 4.  And it's designed to run a mic-level.  So you run your mics to a PS-2 (or some other phantom power only device), and then into the transformer isolated splitter.  You take the 3 different isolated outputs and run them to three difference pre-amps.  It'd be perfect.

kirk97132

« Reply #292 on: May 29, 2010, 10:52:20 AM »
It would be perfect.  So who's got all that stuff?

Offline dgale

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #293 on: May 30, 2010, 01:29:32 AM »
^^^Formatting the card will bring the card back to it's factory-condition.  If you never format, sometimes things don't completely erase and fragments can be left on the card which can corrupt the card.  I think too that formatting the card in it's proper deck will help the deck recognize the card properly.  I always format AFTER I transfer.  Formatting will erase EVERYTHING that is on the card.  I'm sure that I'm a little off on my explanations, but that's the gist of it.

I'm still a bit lost on this - so this is not something you do with a new card but rather you do after you transfer files and then delete them from the card?  How do you format the card in the deck?

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #294 on: May 30, 2010, 08:03:58 AM »
^

Dan,

I would format any new card in the device that you will be using it in EVERY time before you use it.   And format your card in the device that it will be used in each and every time for each successive use.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 08:08:18 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #295 on: May 30, 2010, 09:09:31 PM »
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/40925

Here's a link to a discussion of preamp differences between HD-P2 and DR-680.  Under the test conditions, using very low noise mics, there is little difference in self-noise.  Chances are that in any real-world situation the environmental noise will mask any differences between the two recorders.  The post and subsequent replies contain links to several test recordings.

Flintstone

Offline bgreen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project
« Reply #296 on: June 02, 2010, 07:42:01 AM »
Got 3 of these right before a festival last weekend, I mean right before. UPS delivered at 11 and we left home at 11:30. I got these out of the box, and set them up on all three stages, and then had a few minutes to page over the manual. These things are fantastic, I love em. Ease of use, simplicity, quality everything. I think I am sold for good. Best bang for buck recorder on the market right now imo :)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #297 on: June 02, 2010, 10:06:21 AM »
^^

Can you link two or more together to combine the number of recordable channels or would you have to manually start/stop individual recorders?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline bgreen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project
« Reply #298 on: June 02, 2010, 11:57:25 AM »
I haven't tried it yet, but I have a bluegrass  festival to do next week thats a single stage so I'm going to give it a go. will let ya know after I give it a whirl.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #299 on: June 02, 2010, 12:33:03 PM »
According to the manual two DR-680's can be linked together.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com