Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)  (Read 129364 times)

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2019, 10:16:45 PM »
:hmmm:
Just when I thought I saved some money...
Anyone knows if the electronics, the analog to digital converter, etc are on the same level?

whether a CA 9100 is equivalent to a CA ugly is a question for chris

i have yet to see a single complaint from a person who replaced their M10 with an A10

if you want to see if you can hear a difference there is A10 vs R07 vs tascam dr100mk3 (as well as the 16bit sony ICD-UX560) at the link below.. the tascam has way better specs than any of the handhelds. see if the difference is audible to *your* ears

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=192831.0

I can answer the CA question: 9200 is considerably better than the 9100 -- internal noise is much lower. The Ugly 2 is simply a 9200 in a smaller form factor. It's exactly the same as the 9200 otherwise.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2019, 09:10:47 PM »
$190 at BH Photo and Amazon.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2019, 05:43:01 PM »
Finally realized that what I don’t care for is the A10s roll off. Not my piece of cake, I tend to not like and am not good at serious processing.

I still haven't found a stock deck, whether handheld or XLR, that I'd want to run my $1300 caps into. App control is not worth the sonic tradeoff imo. Thank you Doug.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 11:08:47 AM by MakersMarc »

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2019, 06:15:13 PM »
its not that dramatic of a rolloff. most HPFs/rolloffs start at frequencies like 80-120 and are 6-12dB per octave

from my tests: Sony A-10: -0.2 dB@100 HZ, -1.1dB@45Hz, -2.9dB@25Hz, -4.1Hz@20Hz, -6.0dB@15Hz, -9.6dB@10Hz

-1dB at 50 Hz and -3db at 25Hz is not all that aggressive. can easily be eq'd back in
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2019, 08:18:24 AM »
Finally realized that what I don’t care for is the A10s roll off. Not my piece of cake, I tend to not like and am not good at real processing.

Don’t see the big issue here. Most of the bass that low is “rumble” anyhow. I’m usually rolling that off in Ozone when I’m processing.

Recorded Massive Attack with the A10 and still had far too much bass in the original file. 40Hz with a roll off isn’t truly that noticeable and, for me, isn’t detrimental.

Having the ability to start and stop from my phone as well as monitor levels is a huge plus.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2019, 05:21:05 PM »
Guess what I gave myself for Christmas?  And Santa, in the form of the Australia Post operative, arrived today unexpectedly early.

Almost everyone here has made their first comment something along the lines of "damn, it's tiny!".

Damn, it's tiny.

My recent(ish) recorder purchases include a Zoom H1N and a Zoom F1.  The A10 is clearly significantly smaller than the H1N and is probably smaller in volume than the F1 overall, being thinner and narrower, but a bit longer.  It has a noticably larger screen than either of the Zoom models.

Almost the first thing I tried were the internal mics.  I like the idea of a carry-around sound recorder, so unlike most here, the internal mics interest me.  I tested them first in front of the quite large Tannoy speakers in my 'studio', playing my usual test item, Eric Clapton's 'River of Tears'.  This has a substantial bass line, a steady cymbal beat, and a vocal, and I find it usually reveals shortcomings in audio equipment, or at least it allows for useful comparisons.  I was pleasantly surprised by the result - to my ears (elderly ears I admit), the sound is balanced - no particular vices that I could hear, with very usable range at both top and bottom and no muddy hump in the middle.  Stereo image is waaay better than the M10, whose imaging was always pretty dire as you might expect from closely spaced omni mics.  Just recording passing cars in the street with the A10 gave very satisfactory results, with a clear image of each vehicle passing from one side of the soundstage to the other.  But the supplied windshield didn't seem to be doing a great deal to mitigate the effects of a light wind.   I will have to find a suitable 'dead kitten' to replace it.

I think the innovative (in my experience) menu system works well, but when making settings it would have been useful if the current state of each option could have been displayed at the foot of the screen.  At present you have to select the option to confirm its state.

Really I am finding it difficult to criticise the device, after making allowances for its size and price point.  I guess I'm a bit disappointed that there's no way to play back what you've just recorded, using only the app.  I might well use it with Roland in-ear mic/earbud mics, but in order to check the recording I will have to fish in my pocket to get the recorder out to press "play".  It's a pity that there is no play button in the app interface (unless I can't see it!).

Apart from the A10 living in my jacket pocket, I will also use it in conjunction with cameras such as the DJI Osmo Pocket or the Insta360 One X (the latter happens to be very similar in size to the A10).  These also tend to travel constantly in my jacket.  Yes, it does tend to make me walk lopsided.  Ideally I'd like to mount the A10 to the handle of the camera poles, and that's not hard to do, but it would be ideal if I could change the angle of the A10 to match the angle the camera is shooting at.  I do have an adapter for that purpose but I think it weighs more than the recorder!  A fiddle with my collection of GoPro mounts should do the trick in due course.

Thanks to previous posters for their advice and recommendations, and thanks also for making me $250AU poorer!  And compliments of the season to all.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2019, 11:11:42 AM »
So I pulled the trigger, man this fucker is tiny.

So I know I should read the thread, but if anyone can save me an hour I’d appreciate-“audio in” is live in, right.

Thanks!

Offline colargol

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2019, 11:12:44 AM »

So I know I should read the thread, but if anyone can save me an hour I’d appreciate-“audio in” is live in, right.

Thanks!

yup, "audio in" is line in :-)
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2019, 01:47:26 PM »

Thanks!

yup, "audio in" is line in :-)

Thanks!

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2019, 03:22:14 PM »
I don't imagine you'll have to use the preamp for amplified music. I haven't, at least.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2019, 06:21:53 AM »
Apologies if this has been posted already but I think I have triggered a limitation on the A10 by copying too many files to a 64Gb memory card - the limitation is as follows -

"Your linear PCM recorder is capable of storing up to 199 files per folder and up to 5,000 folders and files on the built-in memory and the microSD card all together in total. "

Just now I heard some particularly good birdsong happening in the twighlit garden, grabbed the A10, hit record, and got a "file full" message.  And I got bitten on both hands by mosquitos, without getting the recording.  Deleting an unimportant file off the internal memory allowed me to record once back indoors.  I've copied as many mp3 audio files from my rock collection as would fit onto a 64Gb card, and I suspect that's the problem.  Moral - don't.  Stick with (say) your most favourite 4000.  Now all I have to do is decide which they are...

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2019, 08:51:44 AM »
ouch, sorry about your lost recording, thats good to know, though

why cant you put 4000 tracks on a micro SD card and tape another with 4000 more to the back and swap out?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2019, 05:05:44 PM »
That's what I call lateral thinking! 

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2019, 04:51:18 PM »
I have run my new A-10 twice now.
First night on stage, with limiter, record level 6, and it kept the peaks down below zero, but flattened the tops of level peaks.

Second night I ran in back of the room without limiters, and again, only monitored with the app due to placement. This time, I ape the levels mostly out of the red (lowered them when they tagged it) but the file has lots of clipped peaks of over.

Are level indications on the app inaccurate? Was this mentioned earlier? Thanks.
 :shrug: 

Interestingly, I can pair the Sony and also use the sound devices bluetooth just by switching apps!

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2019, 04:52:28 PM »
So I’m gonna roll the A10 for the first time, Maceo Parker 😈 4v>nbobs>babynbox>A10. What’s an educated guess for a safety level? I have the record app but still want some sort of benchmark from which to adjust. FOB/DFC/25’ in a 2-3k room.

Thanks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com