Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: more indoor split omnis experiments  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
more indoor split omnis experiments
« on: May 15, 2004, 06:34:30 PM »
well after all this recent talk we had about runnin split omnis indoors i decided to try it myself in St. Louis's best sounding indoor rock club, Mississippi NIghts. now in hindsight this club isn't the most spectacular sounding, but it is pretty good, and is the only place where i can do what i want, taping wise. here is what i ran that night (all the details ;D ) :

ADK A51TLs(matched) > V2(hpf 75hz 12dB/oct) > modSBM1 > M1 @44.1kHz

Split Omnis(3.5' spread, pointed at stacks) / DFC / FOB / ~13' from stage / ~8' high

V2 @ ~23dB of gain , modSBM1 @ 5.5

WOW the omnis on the TLs are much brighter than the other patterns, as my frequency response chart indicates.  And even with teh V2's HPF on i still got a lot of bass, IMO.  This recording pretty much sounds like what it was like to be there. VERY chatty during the soft parts, but VERY in your face during the loud parts.  i really like my recording but i don't it is better than when i have run cardiods DINA from the same spot.  there's a lot of room sound to begin with and the omnis bring it out even more.  but then again it is damn close.  i guess i'm still on the fence.  the "in your face" sound of the recording makes it slightly fatiguing however it brings me right back to the show in my mind because it's so powerful sounding and that's a good thing IMO  

After doing this myself i have concluded that i want to run the omnis as much as i can. i don't think you HAVE to be outside as Tim and Todd R have pointed out in the past.  if you have omnis and a fabulous sounding indoor venue GO FOR IT.  you never know until you try it. i'm sure tim and todd's split omnis tapes are money from teh fox in boulder.

who knows maybe with a little tweaking of my setup i can get it the omnis to sound better in that venue. I have included an mp3 sample from last night.  it is the first part of Der Bluten Kat, my favorite UM song :)

http://www.basementshift.com/um2004-05-14split_omnis - DBKpt1.mp3

Please let me know what you think!

Brian
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 06:49:11 PM by S_TL-Taper »

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re:more indoor split omnis experiments
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 08:01:44 PM »
I can't wait to try the TL's with split omni's in 2 weeks, will be taping a ton of bands and doing a lot of comparisons
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 10:06:45 PM »
I'm interested to try split omnis inside workplay theatre here in Birmingham, since that's the best sounding indoor venue around here.  The only problem is, they're all about being low-pro in there, so if you're running LDs, you're pretty much banished to behind the board.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

taperkat

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 11:03:59 PM »
Aaah shit give me a break, i've taped some great fucking shows at the nights.. the urge, charlie hunter/norah jones/keller williams, stealthed off the merch table for chocolate genius/me'shell ndegochello...

miss that dive :D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com