Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which Model Of AT's (from SP) Do I Have?  (Read 2389 times)

thierryhenry

• Trade Count: (0)
Which Model Of AT's (from SP) Do I Have?
« on: May 06, 2005, 05:32:05 PM »
Ok, so I bought these off Ebay last Winter. They have been solid mics, in the auction they were stated to be "SP-CMC-8's" which they are, the seller said he bought them a while ago, and they are model: AT933's. I know the 8's on SP now are ES-943's (right). What model do I exactly have, and most importantly, can I buy additional caps? People on this board, and SP say that I should be able to simply "twist off" with my hands the cap of the microphone. No luck, this puppy is on rock solid, is it just tight from someone using a tool, or what? I am confused and I'd really like Omni Caps...Here are the pics (I Know they suck). Thank you.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Which Model Of AT's (from SP) Do I Have?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 05:52:03 PM »
Ok, so I bought these off Ebay last Winter. They have been solid mics, in the auction they were stated to be "SP-CMC-8's" which they are, the seller said he bought them a while ago, and they are model: AT933's. I know the 8's on SP now are ES-943's (right). What model do I exactly have, and most importantly, can I buy additional caps? People on this board, and SP say that I should be able to simply "twist off" with my hands the cap of the microphone. No luck, this puppy is on rock solid, is it just tight from someone using a tool, or what? I am confused and I'd really like Omni Caps...Here are the pics (I Know they suck). Thank you.

Just call/email SP and ask.  You have a few choices: AT943 caps (card, hyper, omni, etc), or adapters and run (bigger, and *maybe* nicer sounding) AT853 caps, anything except omnis in this case.  Omnis are discontinued.

The question is will the older AT933 you've probably got fit the above options.  It is very likely, but you can ask Chris about this before buying.

Have fun...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

thierryhenry

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 06:11:14 PM »
Yeah I know about the cap options, the dilemma here is getting this cap off..Does it come off? Am I not pulling hard enough, that's what I was wondering about. Are even the older SP models, 933's removable?

Thanks.

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 07:33:51 PM »
If the caps doesn't come off, then it's definitely *not* the 933. I have the 933 (from SP) and they have removable caps and an adapter to use the 853 caps.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

thierryhenry

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 10:05:32 PM »
Ok, so then does anyone know the model # of these mics in which the caps AREN'T removable? Thanks for all your helps guys!

Offline bmr

• Taperssection Regular
    • Pearl Jam Bit Torrents
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 02:45:18 AM »
I have the ES943s. I thought, for the longest time, that I had purchased omnis that were ONLY omnis. I then learned on here that there's a good chance that I could remove the caps, and lo and behold I was able to and have since purchased the cardioid elements for them too.

Your mics look IDENTICAL to my mics.

Going up and down the AT site, I don't see any model of microphone that matches anything close to our mics that doesn't have removable caps.

I honestly don't mean to insult you at all when I ask this, but how hard have you actually twisted the caps? I was very cautious at first, but figured that if it were a solid piece it wouldn't go anywhere no matter how hard I twisted, so I gave it a very hard once-over and it began to twist off. Ever since that first time, however, it hasn't been nearly as hard to get the caps off.

thierryhenry

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 09:48:22 AM »
Ha, I know,I really wouldn't want to do anything to fuck them up either, since they are a delicate piece of gear, but maybe I could yank harder. Thanks BMR.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 11:26:19 AM »
since they are a delicate piece of gear, but maybe I could yank harder.

No, no...don't yank, twist.  See the attached pic for the "break point", i.e. where the cap detaches from the rest of the mic body.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

thierryhenry

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 11:48:05 AM »
Clockwise, twisting, yes, yes. I am gonna try again here soon. Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com