Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stealth recordings from bad positions  (Read 5110 times)

Offline porphyry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Grimshaw- the World's First Bootlegger
stealth recordings from bad positions
« on: November 06, 2003, 10:06:32 AM »
i'm going to a few gigs where i could only get seats, and i know that the seats aren't located anywhere near the centre axis of the stage but are kind of off to the side.

will being much closer to the left channel speakers than the right affect the sound of the recording? are cards or omnis better in this situation?

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Re:stealth recordings from bad positions
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 11:45:29 AM »
Depends if the venue/band runs a stereo mix. If it's a mono mix, point your mics straight at whichever stack you're in front of, and you'll get all of the instruments, no problems. If it's a stereo mix, then yes, you'll likely hear more of whichever instruments are on the side of the stage you're on, though sound engineers tend to send drums out of both sides since they're typically in the middle. You may benefit from pointing towards the middle of the stage to at least get some of the sound from the other channel but it'll likely sound imbalanced. How imbalanced depends on your configuration, your location and your direction though...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com