Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 4  (Read 97842 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 4
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »
mixpre 6.  2 sets 1 hr 15 each.

are y'all talking about linking decks?  I thought he was implying that from one deck there would be issues.  if you're talking about multiple decks disregard me!
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2017, 04:45:30 PM »
mixpre 6.  2 sets 1 hr 15 each.

are y'all talking about linking decks?  I thought he was implying that from one deck there would be issues.  if you're talking about multiple decks disregard me!
That would be the natural assumption from the question.

Using multiple decks, the answer would be that if you are using the MixPre to record directly onto a dslr, the audio and video will lineup as it is being recorded together onto the same card at the same time so there is no drift, and if you are doing ISO tracks for a high quality soundtrack onto the MixPre's SD card you would need some sort of time code plug in which the MixPre accepts and then the audio and video would line up as that is the function of the time clock. Without using a time clock the synching of the audio and video or audio from a second source would be the same crap shoot it always is because of small differences between machines.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:47:40 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2017, 01:17:04 PM »
So the only output on the MP-6 is the 3.5mm port? There is no way to route L/R mix out of the USB port? I want to try live stream though Mixlr.

This should work via the USB audio interface. I tried it once and couldn't get it to work but plan on revisiting this this weekend. Everytime I've used the mixpre so far I needed to ensure the stream worked so I just kept using my sonicport - which I know works for streaming - but this weekend I am recording a show thats not as critical to successfully stream. 

According to the manual USB-7 and USB-8 correlate to L/R

I was able to get streaming via my Mixpre-6 working, using only my ipad in conjunction with it, or at least it appears to work. I will have to see how it works in practice.  The biggest problem is that the Ipad sees all six channels and unless the app on the ipad side knows how to deal with that, it won't work. Mixlr does not know how to deal with this. I got it to work by using AUM, which allows me to choose the channels I want and then sending if rom there to Audiobus and from there mixlr. Audiobus allows sound to shuffled between apps if those apps are Audiobus "aware".

Mixpre-6 > USB-A > ipad via lightning connector > AUM > Audiobus > Mixlr

An interesting anecdote is that I kept getting "device uses too much power" on the ipad side when attempting to use the USB-c connection, so I tried the USB-a connection and, sure neough, it works as some people have noted...

In the end, using the sonicport is at lot easier but this appears to work
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:19:06 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2017, 04:08:57 PM »
One of the reasons I like the MixPre-3 is that I'm going to use it as a bedside headphone amp in addition to my recording rig.  I needed an AC power cord and wasn't too keen on paying $40 for a wal-wart so got this at Best Buy and it works great (green lights).  Note on the back that it has a rating of 15W and 3A.  Saved me $20.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 04:11:55 PM by fanofjam »

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2017, 07:26:35 PM »
^ To piggyback on your headphone comment, can anyone comment on the quality of the headphone out of these units with respect to previous SD offerings? I remember that being a concern from others in the past; however, I've never owned any SD gear.

Also, is anyone using theirs for the USB interface functionality, and willing to share their opinion?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2017, 07:29:34 PM »
Is it possible to disable the LR mix?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2017, 08:22:46 PM »

Yes...I don't have mine in front of me, but I think it's in the Menu under "Recording." Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I can double check when I get home from work.

I keep mine disable. I wasn't really happy with the mix I got out of it. When I'm running more than 2 channels it worked way better to manually mix the sources.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2017, 08:23:45 PM »
Yes but you have to be in the advanced mode or in custom mode with record set to advance. Then you go to the record scree to turn off L/R mix. You can also disable the mix within the app by pressing on the red L/R button on the left of the screen when viewing levels horizontally.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2017, 03:26:34 PM »
Thanks. I just started using advanced mode. I was doing fine with basic but decided disabling the LR mix might extend battery life. I use the 8 battery sled for normal length shows. ~ 3 hours. Besides I really don’t see trying an Aud/SBD Mix on the fly. These units will handle up to 30 feet, right?

Yes but you have to be in the advanced mode or in custom mode with record set to advance. Then you go to the record scree to turn off L/R mix. You can also disable the mix within the app by pressing on the red L/R button on the left of the screen when viewing levels horizontally.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:54:04 PM by ts »

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2017, 04:28:10 PM »
^ To piggyback on your headphone comment, can anyone comment on the quality of the headphone out of these units with respect to previous SD offerings? I remember that being a concern from others in the past; however, I've never owned any SD gear.

Also, is anyone using theirs for the USB interface functionality, and willing to share their opinion?

Feel free to ignore my opinion as I'm one of the MixPre designers and so a wee bit biased:) Headphone amp will make you want to listen to your entire music collection all over again - clarity and low frequency in abundance. Plenty of welly before distortion! Sounds great on my AT M50's and Sennheiser HD25's.
I'm using MixPre-6 in my music studio as a USB audio interface to both Logic and Protools all the time.  8 in, 4 out is all I need.

Offline audBall

« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2017, 04:52:27 PM »
Thank you for the response, Paul.
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2017, 05:33:46 PM »
Thank you for the response, Paul.

Same here.  Good quality dedicated headphone amps run $300 on their own and a good DAC is another couple hundred, so buying a MixPre-3 for $650 is kinda like putting money in the bank.  OK well not exactly, but I'm more than pleased that my recording and playback hardware is integrated as much as possible.

Offline audBall

« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2017, 05:59:34 PM »
OK well not exactly, but I'm more than pleased that my recording and playback hardware is integrated as much as possible.

Thanks, those are my thoughts as well.

It's also convenient that they work with "any impedance" headphones, too.

Paul, is there an "ideal" impedance range, or is it truly any?
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2017, 05:59:55 PM »
Plenty of welly before distortion! Sounds great on my AT M50's and Sennheiser HD25's.

Does the headphone section have sufficient power for harder-to-drive headphones (for example, 600 ohm Beyers)?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2017, 09:56:49 PM »
I just uploaded my WideSpread Panic shows from Peach fest this summer. I wanted to post this here b/c the first night I recorded them in basic mode 24bit/48khz and the second night I recorded them in advanced mode at 24bit/96khz. For the second night I set the gain at 24db and used the faders to add 1db gain to the left channel and 2 db of gain to the right channel. I also used the low cut filter at 40 hz and used the limiter as well. I thought some of you would like to hear the difference b/t the two. I was in the exact same spot both nights so I feel this gives a good comparison.

Night 1: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=595730
Night 2: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=595731

Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com