Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (part V)  (Read 107872 times)

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (part V)
« Reply #360 on: April 11, 2012, 02:53:44 PM »
Has anyone else experienced a problem with unmatched left-right channels on their m10? I know they bill them as matched to within 1db of each other, but mine has a left channel about 2db higher than the right channel. Easily correctable in post, and not extremely noticeable given that it's an omni pattern, but kinda annoying none-the-less.

Yes, I just got mine last week and have noticed same (with internal mics). Seems OK with an external mic. I agree, annoying. I did see 2 similar posts:

[
Hello everyone!
Just discovered this forum after searching for info on the M10. Today I returned an M10 that was recording hotter on the left internal mic than the right. When at the store, we tried another unit and it did the same thing. Has anyone noticed this with their M10?

^yes.  I was surprised to find that the channels danced so differently on the meters, considering the mics are so close together. The left does seem to peak a little hotter, though the overall balance isn't as bad.  It isn't audible.

Thank you.  :)
Well, I sent mine back to B&H for a replacement because of that left channel being slightly hotter.
The new one arrived and fortunately the levels are normal. Glad I did.

What a great recorder. I'm as happy with it as when I first received the original Sony Walkman Professional back in the day (and it still works).

You sure about that? From what I've heard everyone has one channel that is a little hotter than the other. I wonder if this is true if there was some mass defect that Sony is not reporting to us.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline pasteler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #361 on: April 11, 2012, 10:50:53 PM »
Has anyone else experienced a problem with unmatched left-right channels on their m10? I know they bill them as matched to within 1db of each other, but mine has a left channel about 2db higher than the right channel. Easily correctable in post, and not extremely noticeable given that it's an omni pattern, but kinda annoying none-the-less.

Yes, I just got mine last week and have noticed same (with internal mics). Seems OK with an external mic. I agree, annoying. I did see 2 similar posts:

[
Hello everyone!
Just discovered this forum after searching for info on the M10. Today I returned an M10 that was recording hotter on the left internal mic than the right. When at the store, we tried another unit and it did the same thing. Has anyone noticed this with their M10?

^yes.  I was surprised to find that the channels danced so differently on the meters, considering the mics are so close together. The left does seem to peak a little hotter, though the overall balance isn't as bad.  It isn't audible.

Thank you.  :)
Well, I sent mine back to B&H for a replacement because of that left channel being slightly hotter.
The new one arrived and fortunately the levels are normal. Glad I did.

What a great recorder. I'm as happy with it as when I first received the original Sony Walkman Professional back in the day (and it still works).

You sure about that? From what I've heard everyone has one channel that is a little hotter than the other. I wonder if this is true if there was some mass defect that Sony is not reporting to us.
Positive. It is balanced now. Before the left channel was always hotter.

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #362 on: April 14, 2012, 03:01:08 AM »
In Part 3 of this topic Rastesean mentioned this :

recording at 24/48 is what the majority of people do. The recorder can do 24/96 but unless you can hear the difference, go with 24/48 and you'll still be able to hold a lot on your built in 4 gigs.

I wonder why people settle for anything less than the best quality . Data storage is so cheap these days . Is there a different reason why tapers take 24/48 over 24/96 ?

When I used DAT I started out with LP ( because tapes were so expensive in the beginning ) and didn't really hear the difference . Only later to find out LP had more dropouts than SP.
Could something like that be the case here too with 24/48 or 24/96 ?

I am sure you can't really hear the difference between 24/48 and 24/96 though.
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #363 on: April 14, 2012, 10:24:45 AM »
Thanks for reading old posts!

Data storage is cheap but that doesn't mean you have to fill it up with recordings that you may not be able to hear any difference with. Its really a preference what you record at and i don't like most tapers make the assumption its like LP or SP. Also, this is certainly not like EP or SP video tapes where there audible and visual differences.  Some recorders record up to 192. Should people record in that high of a bit depth because they can? I could see recording at a high bit rate being important if you are doing sound Foley work where your environment is 100% controlled by you but if you're at a club, I don't think I need to capture the crowd at 96K; futhermore, the microphones will have much more to deal with how the recording sounds than the difference between 48 & 96.

Check out this thread for pretty detailed opinions and rhetorical questions: 24-Bit / 48kHz or 96kHz
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #364 on: April 16, 2012, 12:40:09 AM »
I've now had four outtings with the M-10 and one thing I really, really like is that I can turn on the recorder with one hand under a shirt or coat and lock the settings.  I could never do that with my Edirol.  I dislike the built in 10 files thing and honestly do not understand why the built in memory has that.  I've yet to record with the micro sd card--I assume there is no pre-programed file structure and it just records and splits the files in 2g sectors.

Is there a stated reason for the muliple folder set up and can I delete those?

I'm considering selling my two Edirols and getting a second M-10 for ALD and backup.  Its that good. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #365 on: April 16, 2012, 10:02:26 AM »
the directory structure exists on external cards as well. I don't mind it because if I have many recordings on folder 01 and I need new recordings, I just go to folder two. The advantage is that i know everything in directory 1 is safe from deleting the wrong file.

Maybe you were asking about the file structure when connecting the microSD to the computer. If that's the case, then I believe there's just a couple directories on the card...I'll have to check into it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #366 on: April 16, 2012, 01:43:43 PM »
Thanks for reading old posts!

No problem . As said I was in a big hurry to get a new recorder . I'm reading every thread from start to finish !

Check out this thread for pretty detailed opinions and rhetorical questions: 24-Bit / 48kHz or 96kHz

Data storage is cheap but that doesn't mean you have to fill it up with recordings that you may not be able to hear any difference with. Its really a preference what you record at and i don't like most tapers make the assumption its like LP or SP. Also, this is certainly not like EP or SP video tapes where there audible and visual differences.  Some recorders record up to 192. Should people record in that high of a bit depth because they can? I could see recording at a high bit rate being important if you are doing sound Foley work where your environment is 100% controlled by you but if you're at a club, I don't think I need to capture the crowd at 96K; futhermore, the microphones will have much more to deal with how the recording sounds than the difference between 48 & 96.

Thanks for letting me now about that thread. Hadn't seen it at all.
I can see your points about 48-96/24. But still I think I choose the best possible quality . Although I don't hear any difference with the quality when I used HI MD . You are right , the mic's are probably more important .

I used my recorder last night and my recording came out great . The thing is pretty easy to work with .

During the recording the recorder made a few track marks ( or files , if that is a better word ). There was no silence in between a song , it was in the middle of a song . Is there a setting I can adjust to prevent that ? I looked all over in the manual but can't find it . It is no real problem , since the files can be played and there's no stop in between the marks.
But I prefer one file.  If this was mentioned in a thread please let me know and I'll look it up . But I'm halfway reading all the threads and I may have missed this .

I use a Lexar 16 GB Micro SDHC class 10 .
http://www.lexar.com/products/lexar-high-performance-mobile-solution?category=90

It works flawless.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:45:57 PM by Ekib »
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #367 on: April 16, 2012, 01:53:48 PM »
It splits the file @~2Gb, you can't change that or turn it off. Most recorders do this.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline BobbyHurley

• Taperssection Member
  • got a blank space where my mind should be
« Reply #368 on: April 16, 2012, 02:18:37 PM »
Just ordered an M10 and 32gb MicroSDHC card from B&H.

Hard to believe my JB3 lasted almost 10 years.

Will be running AKG 481/3 > KindKable > Oade m248 > ___________ > M-10

Is anyone running an M10 with an m248? Has anyone had custom interconnects made for RCA > 1/8" ?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:40:47 PM by BobbyHurley »
AKG C 480 B (CK61 and CK63) > Oade m248 > GAK cable > Sony M-10

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #369 on: April 16, 2012, 06:51:41 PM »
You'll love the M10!!  Get up with Darktrain or Ted for the cable. 

Just ordered an M10 and 32gb MicroSDHC card from B&H.

Hard to believe my JB3 lasted almost 10 years.

Will be running AKG 481/3 > KindKable > Oade m248 > ___________ > M-10

Is anyone running an M10 with an m248? Has anyone had custom interconnects made for RCA > 1/8" ?
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #370 on: April 17, 2012, 01:20:18 AM »
It splits the file @~2Gb, you can't change that or turn it off. Most recorders do this.

... and it will do that more often if you are running a high sample rate or bit depth.  Another reason not to do so unless you are really convinced the ensuing inconveniences are worthwhile (which they may be - it's a YMMV thing).

Offline celtic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #371 on: April 17, 2012, 05:30:57 AM »
If your using Cross Memory recording on the m10 will it switch from internal memory to card seamlessly?

Offline gregh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #372 on: April 17, 2012, 08:26:30 AM »
HI, I am looking at getting a memory card for the PCM-M10 but know nothing about compatibility issues - this is the first memory card I've ever bought. I'm looking at this Lexar http://tinyurl.com/d2nzb7g  and this samsung http://tinyurl.com/c7qxcs5
are either of these okay?
thanks for any help

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #373 on: April 17, 2012, 08:41:27 AM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com