Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (part V)  (Read 108423 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (part V)
« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2011, 02:42:44 AM »
I think it will support any size, so if they come out with 64GB miniSD, those should work also.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #181 on: October 15, 2011, 10:33:11 AM »
Word of warning...
I took my microsd card out of the m10 and put it in my card reader just a little askew and I had to use pliers to yank the card out. The card was fine but then I decided not to use the card reader any more. ;)
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Artstar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #182 on: October 18, 2011, 05:06:58 AM »
So a 32gb SDHC will work in the M10?  I thought it only was supported for 16gb max?

I just bought a Sandisk 32GB microSD card yesterday for my Drift HD camera and thought I'd try it out in my PCM-M10 for the hell of it. Worked no problem.

As a general rule of thumb, I can't imagine there being an issue with devices that can at least address 8GB cards.

Offline Artstar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #183 on: October 18, 2011, 05:08:21 AM »
Word of warning...
I took my microsd card out of the m10 and put it in my card reader just a little askew and I had to use pliers to yank the card out. The card was fine but then I decided not to use the card reader any more. ;)

My Sandisk card reader is no better. My microSD card slot leaves only 2mm of card out so I have to use pliers every time. Disappointing but hey, at least it functions as a card reader should.

Offline NSL

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #184 on: October 18, 2011, 11:32:07 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but noticed one of my 24 bit recordings (a sbd recording) after encoding to flac and to 16 bit, the file size was pretty low (271mb for 16 files, 1 hour 34 minute show).  Also saw this - http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=549154  also a 24 to 16 bit recording from a sony pcm-m10 that seems that the file size was low (515mb for a 2 hour 45 minute show). 

Is this common with the sony pcm-m10 recorder?  Maybe i'm overlooking something
Instagram
Berliner CM-33's > Naiant Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #185 on: October 18, 2011, 11:59:08 AM »
^^^ Are the files coming off the M10 the right size (~ 1.5 GB for 1 hr 34 m at 24/48, maybe 1.4 for 24/44.1)?  What level of compression are you using?

Word of warning...

My Sandisk card reader is no better. My microSD card slot leaves only 2mm of card out so I have to use pliers every time. Disappointing but hey, at least it functions as a card reader should.

I have been using an SD adapter for the microSD and then inserting that into a card reader.  Works well and it is easy to pull the microSD from the adapter...

adrianf74

« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but noticed one of my 24 bit recordings (a sbd recording) after encoding to flac and to 16 bit, the file size was pretty low (271mb for 16 files, 1 hour 34 minute show).  Also saw this - http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=549154  also a 24 to 16 bit recording from a sony pcm-m10 that seems that the file size was low (515mb for a 2 hour 45 minute show). 

I can see this happening; it's nothing to do with your M10 (all digital recorders do this).  When you're recording from the desk at 24/48 and then dumb down (or record at 16/44), a desk recording usually doesn't have a lot of "special" frequencies or separation between channels.   In fact, if your board feed was closer to a MONO feed, FLAC can almost dumb it down to one-channel's worth of bandwidth and then add the extra bits it needs.  hen you have an audience pull, the frequencies are more involved and more separate in each channel making FLAC's life harder and you'll usually see a compression rate (at FLAC 8) of maybe 65-70% of the original file size.

Hope I've helped.

Offline NSL

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #187 on: October 18, 2011, 12:59:46 PM »

I can see this happening; it's nothing to do with your M10 (all digital recorders do this).  When you're recording from the desk at 24/48 and then dumb down (or record at 16/44), a desk recording usually doesn't have a lot of "special" frequencies or separation between channels.   In fact, if your board feed was closer to a MONO feed, FLAC can almost dumb it down to one-channel's worth of bandwidth and then add the extra bits it needs.  hen you have an audience pull, the frequencies are more involved and more separate in each channel making FLAC's life harder and you'll usually see a compression rate (at FLAC 8) of maybe 65-70% of the original file size.

Hope I've helped.

I'm an idiot.  It was a mono feed I was getting.  Completely forgot that I had split it to stereo in post.  

The above info does help out though as i'm pretty new to board recordings.
Instagram
Berliner CM-33's > Naiant Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline gdplusmore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #188 on: October 19, 2011, 07:56:35 PM »
internal mics on the Sony pcm-10 are very good in my opinon if you are in the sweet spot when stealthing, looking for reasons to add external's for stealth recording please provide Constructive criticism of this recording..pm's welcomed..  ;D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3425026/jacksonbrowne%202011-10-12.zip
NAK CM-300's  -> CP4's,CP-3's,CP2's,CP1's ->SonyD5
NAKCM-300's ->  CP4's,CP-3's,CP2's,CP1's ->MX-100-->NJB3
NAK CM-100's  -> CP4's,CP-3's,CP2's,CP1's ->SonyD5
NAKCM-100's ->  CP4's,CP-3's,CP2's,CP1's ->MX-100-->NJB3
Sony PCM-M10  (looking at stealth mic options)

Offline homunculus

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #189 on: October 20, 2011, 07:36:10 PM »
Hello everyone!
Just discovered this forum after searching for info on the M10. Today I returned an M10 that was recording hotter on the left internal mic than the right. When at the store, we tried another unit and it did the same thing. Has anyone noticed this with their M10?

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #190 on: October 20, 2011, 08:45:37 PM »
^yes.  I was surprised to find that the channels danced so differently on the meters, considering the mics are so close together. The left does seem to peak a little hotter, though the overall balance isn't as bad.  It isn't audible.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #191 on: October 21, 2011, 10:59:24 AM »
internal mics on the Sony pcm-10 are very good in my opinon if you are in the sweet spot when stealthing, looking for reasons to add external's for stealth recording please provide Constructive criticism of this recording..pm's welcomed..  ;D

The fidelity of the recording sounds surprisingly good to me. I would be more than happy with recordings of this quality while saving up for external mics. However I hear no stereo separation in the recording (the result of using omni mics spaced only a few inches apart).

I find recordings with stereo separation much more enjoyable to listen to even in cases where the monitors are basically producing a mono sound and you only notice the separation in the room ambiance. I would recommend trying good external mics for that reason alone, besides their other benefits.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:04:27 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #192 on: October 21, 2011, 12:20:03 PM »

i noticed soming weird a few times with my m10 and fr2le files sizes
both recording the same show, both started/stopped within seconds of each other, both 24/48...
the files sizes on my desktop where 1.3 and 1.5 gb with the m10 being smaller
they both sounded fine so i didn't worry to much
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #193 on: October 21, 2011, 12:47:04 PM »

The fidelity of the recording sounds surprisingly good to me. I would be more than happy with recordings of this quality while saving up for external mics. However I hear no stereo separation in the recording (the result of using omni mics spaced only a few inches apart).

I find recordings with stereo separation much more enjoyable to listen to even in cases where the monitors are basically producing a mono sound and you only notice the separation in the room ambiance. I would recommend trying good external mics for that reason alone, besides their other benefits.

There is a free VST plugin that can help open up the stereo image of the M10. http://rekkerd.org/matthew-lindsay-ncl-phase-eq/

Here is more information from the M10 FAQ.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=147551.msg1891497#msg1891497

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline homunculus

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #194 on: October 21, 2011, 04:34:42 PM »
^yes.  I was surprised to find that the channels danced so differently on the meters, considering the mics are so close together. The left does seem to peak a little hotter, though the overall balance isn't as bad.  It isn't audible.

Thanks for the reply. I am surprised that this might be normal operation for the unit. Has anyone else noticed this with their M10s?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com