Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microphones >>>> Mini Jack  (Read 2270 times)

Offline FutureThought

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Microphones >>>> Mini Jack
« on: June 08, 2010, 09:56:27 AM »
When using high end microphones with smaller hand held recorders, what will the sonic differences be from having to plug in to the recorder with a mini jack as opposed to Line or XLR?

Cheers,

S.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Microphones >>>> Mini Jack
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:19:40 AM »
When using high end microphones with smaller hand held recorders, what will the sonic differences be from having to plug in to the recorder with a mini jack as opposed to Line or XLR?

Cheers,

S.

XLR is balanced audio. 3.5 mm is unbalanced audio if both preamps that the mics are connecting to are well designed and of good quality there is no sonic difference..

However one of the main advantages of XLR is phantom power 48 volts to power condenser mics and balanced line connection that allows long runs of mic cable with out problems with noise.

Unbalanced mic connections via 3.5 mm jacks will have plug in power that will range from 1 volt to 9 volts and allow connection of electret condenser mics that require LOW plug in power. They have a limited cable length of around 20 feet anything beyond that is risky and can be subject to injected noise.

So it depends on your application as to what input you need. If you want to run long mic cables and use studio mics then XLR is the way to go if your looking for a more compact setup the 3.5 mm is a good choice just remember the max length of cable that can be used with unbalanced inputs.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline phil_fernandez

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 10:56:29 AM »
Is that 20 foot rule a combination of length for both sides of the pre?  If the CA mics have 6 feet of length going into the 9100, does that mean I should use no more than 14 feet from the pre to the deck?  Thanks!

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 11:32:31 AM »
Is that 20 foot rule a combination of length for both sides of the pre?  If the CA mics have 6 feet of length going into the 9100, does that mean I should use no more than 14 feet from the pre to the deck?  Thanks!
No. From the preamp to the mics 20 feet, from the preamp output to the recorder 20 feet. My preamp can drive longer runs if needed but the gain should be set to max.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline FutureThought

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 04:33:01 PM »
Thank you  ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com