Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HELP! Clueless chick needs help with a christmas gift!!  (Read 6706 times)

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
Re: HELP! Clueless chick needs help with a christmas gift!!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 10:42:13 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^

right on the money.  he may even be able to settle on one set of mics, but he will need to learn what hes looking for before he invests.

buy him a recorder.  you rock.

ps.  if you do want to buy him mics, i might suggest chris church (church audio).  this guy makes great small mics for the money, and hes easily accessible if theres ever a problem.  you can also get a set of CA's on the cheap from the TS yard sale.  he might be touched that you bought him a recorder, and did some mic research as well....

I have a set of church audio omni (CA-14) i am thinking about selling...pm if interested
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline dunebug81

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 11:48:37 PM »
Oh, most importantly, thanks to you.  Most of us tapers are, well, kinda nerdy -- even though we seem really cool -- and having a SO who 'gets it' is one of the best possible things.

Very true.  I don't know if my wife "gets it" or not but she humors me when we go to a show and if I'm going to tape she puts up with my being anal about getting a particular spot at the show and whatnot.

As for recorder, I'm a HIMD guy and one of the last few of us out there but its a rock solid recorder and I think they RH1 is a touch over $300 but comes with some mics which would be fine for interviews but not so great for taping shows.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 12:57:26 AM »
If used gear is ok, it's hard to go wrong with an iriver (120, 140, 320, or 340), a church audio 9100 preamp, and some audio technica 853 mics. You might be able to get all of that for $300 used.

But what everyone else says above is true as well. Starting off with the R-09 and the internal mics is a smart move. I know several tapers with pretty high-end mics who use the R-09 as their main recorder. I've never owned one, but I've used them a bunch, and always been satisfied.

And lastly, if things don't work out with your guy, you wanna marry me? I'd love to have a partner so supportive of my hobby/obsession  >:D
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 07:05:37 AM »
If used gear is ok, it's hard to go wrong with an iriver (120, 140, 320, or 340), a church audio 9100 preamp, and some audio technica 853 mics. You might be able to get all of that for $300 used.

Starting off with the R-09 and the internal mics is a smart move. I know several tapers with pretty high-end mics who use the R-09 as their main recorder.

I agree with everything except the quality R-09's internal mics. They are awful (with the Micsketeer mod from Church Audio it's a different story). I'm not that fussy. I tried them once and it was immediately apparent I was using a mediocre set of mics.

The Tascam DR-07 is probably a better recorder and definitely has better internals.

yltfan-Are your sure your high end friends aren't using the R-09HR as their main recorder? The R-09 needs a good external pre to be part of a great recording system (unless you record only loud stuff).
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 10:44:50 AM »
I definately think a DR-07 would be a great choice.  Very good internals and at Sound Pro's, good price leaving enough leftover for a pair of externals. 

And for what it's worth, gotta send a big shot out to my wife who puts up with me and my taping.  Last night she made the hour plus drive to Worcester.  Had to set up my gear down by the board as it wasn't wheelchair accesable.  She had everything up in no time, settings all dialed in and pulled a good recording.
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline jnf505

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 02:50:08 PM »
Ah, thank you so much for the help guys. I really have a better idea of what to get. The Edirol seems like the best choice for starters. And his birthday is in February, maybe I'll be able to order mics from Church Audio before then. Thanks again for the advice :)

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 03:55:12 PM »

Starting off with the R-09 and the internal mics is a smart move. I know several tapers with pretty high-end mics who use the R-09 as their main recorder.

I agree with everything except the quality R-09's internal mics. They are awful (with the Micsketeer mod from Church Audio it's a different story). I'm not that fussy. I tried them once and it was immediately apparent I was using a mediocre set of mics.

The Tascam DR-07 is probably a better recorder and definitely has better internals.

yltfan-Are your sure your high end friends aren't using the R-09HR as their main recorder? The R-09 needs a good external pre to be part of a great recording system (unless you record only loud stuff).

Yes, I'm sure folks use the older R-09, but with an external pre. And I agree on the internal mics. They will do the job, especially for the interview stuff, but they leave much to be desired.

But if you can find the Tascam or Sony for a good price, and other folks here give them thumbs up, go for it.

Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

stevetoney

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 04:09:37 PM »
Given that this girl said she is clueless about this stuff...taperssection has just proceeded to confuse the living shit out of her! 

If you do come back and read this far, you should know that all of these recorders that have been suggested have essentially the same feature set and mostly function the same as any of the other recorders.  The differences between them are subtle. 

FWIW, the only other thing I'd add to what's already been said is that, since you already know that you're BF is gonna be using external mics for everything but his journalism, I wouldn't base any decision on the quality of the internal mics on a recorder.  Any of the products that have been suggested will work totally fine for recording interviews. 

Since you've stated that he's gonna be recording music with external mics, the comments regarding the quality of the internal mics are irrelevant.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 04:10:29 PM »
Ah, thank you so much for the help guys. I really have a better idea of what to get. The Edirol seems like the best choice for starters. And his birthday is in February, maybe I'll be able to order mics from Church Audio before then. Thanks again for the advice :)

One thing to note: If you are ordering from Church Audio leave a LOT of lead time. It is handmade gear and, depending on Chris' workload, it will take time.  If you are really sure you want to go that route, you ought to consider ordering now for a February birthday.  I'm sure with the holiday season and all, Chris will be busy.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2009, 09:27:12 AM »
The Tascam DR-07 bundle ($199.00) from Sound Professionals would be a good start:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/TAS-DR-07-BUNDLE

Or get the recorder by itself for $159.00

You can probably get a discount as a taperssection member. Call and ask.

The Church-Audio mics and preamps can't be beat for the price (or much higher prices, really). But Christmas would have to come late for this gear. Chris Church has ads in the retail space of this forum. It takes a while, but it's good stuff.

The DR-07 recorder is on special today at soundprofessionals.com - $129, plus all sorts of bundles with mics that are very low priced as well.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/TAS-DR-07

I don't want to confuse the situation at all.  I have an Edirol R-09 so Edirol would be a good choice as well.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com