Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Does price matter as much when taping certain genres?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline dizzy_geek

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Does price matter as much when taping certain genres?
« on: April 18, 2010, 07:08:56 PM »
This might be a dumb question but...

Taping a metal show at a venue of 500 or so people. The music is extremely loud & fast with intense bass & mostly shouting vocals with your occasional guitar solo.

Would a decent pair of quality $500+ mics make a noticeable difference over approx. $200 SP, CS, CA, etc. cards?

I'm wondering if investing in expensive mics is worth it when taping in these kind of environments.

I understand the difference in mics would definitely show even at rock concerts, but with metal I'm thinking cost/quality isn't as important.

Any suggestions & opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
Re: Does price matter as much when taping certain genres?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:12:49 PM »
The bottom line is there is a difference between the mics.  I suspect that even if you ask any of the guys making the small mini condensers they would tell you that there is a difference.  The tricky part is determining if that is a 300 dollar difference?  It becomes very subjective.  I've heard some great tapes pulled with the mini condensers in both open and stealth taping situations, but in a normal open taping show, I typically prefer the recordings made with higher quality mics when I A/B them 90+% of the time.  It is not a slight on the lower cost mics as they pulled a good tape in the same space, but usually the sound on a better quality mic is a little better.  The reason the Church (and other similar) mics are so popular is they offer a lot for the $$ and are very compact if that is important to you.  If they were truly the BEST sounding mics no one would run anything else.  Even mics that run $2000+ a pair don't have traits that everyone agrees on.  Any mic imparts a bit of color to the sound and some people prefer one brand over another.  For me I invested in more expensive mics and have been very happy with them. Keep your eyes on the yard sale, there are some great low cost mics that can be found there (Studio Projects C4s come to mind) that should be in the $200 range.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 11:17:05 PM by phanophish »

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 09:34:58 PM »
Depends

Obviously it would be easier to tell the difference between a pair of cheapo caps and schoeps if you were recording a chamber ensemble or something like that. Just because the difference is harder to hear doesn't mean it isn't there....
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 10:24:56 PM »
I tape a lot of metal shows.  I can most definitely tell the difference between my open taping setup and my stealth microphones.  My open rig cost many times the price of my stealth one.  To me, the extra quality is worth the added cost.  Others may have different opinions.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com