Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Denecke ad 20 vs. Church Audio Pre for AT853s  (Read 8659 times)

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Denecke ad 20 vs. Church Audio Pre for AT853s
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 05:46:07 PM »
I was trying to speak of what I know and relate.  Not trying to fluff, sincerely trying to learn here.  I used it as an example because it is what I know....

Sorry if I irritated you.

how is it that half the post you make turn into to something about Nbox? ::)

if you give 48V to any of the A.T. mics you will kill them.

I agree.. The Church Audio preamp is small and quiet and would work like a champ on the 853s... We must remember what Richard (poorlyconditioned) has taught us... Phantom power provides 48V... tho most mics only need 9 at the capsule. Plus Chris is one of us and if you can get past the Canadian Post Office (their motto.. "Maybe Tomorrow,  Eh") His customer service is perfect.

Only 'need' 9 at the capsule?  My schoeps wont run optimally at 9 volts.  Many run them at 48v.  I run them at 60v >:D (with the nbox that is) That is where schoeps states they run at optimum performance.  I find it hard to believe that running a microphone at 9v will provide the same results as running one at 48v.  I dont know much about AT mics and I dont have any idea which pre will sound best. 

I believe that Chris is a great guy and his opinions on this forum are excellent and valued.  Its always good to work with someone who is into this hobby.  Remember, a close friend of mine builds the nbox and I love it.  I have used every pre except the portico on my schoeps and I still love that box.  In open opportunites though I enjoy the sounds of other boxes too.  Better is a difficult word when you are talking about sound.

Is it better or is it just different?  It very much depends on the playback system and the individuals ability to critically evaluate sound.

If you need a 3 wire preamp, I make the st-9100 as far as sonics go that preamp is flat from 15 Hz to 40 kHz. Not that frequency response is everything, but its something the distortion is less then 0.05%

Chris Church

Frequency response is pretty important.  Transition between frequencies is critically important.

PM sent to Chris Church....

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 06:49:06 PM »
FWIW after PM'ing with Church and your guys' input I am going to suggest the Church ST9100

Thank you everyone for helping!  This board is truly a great resource because of members like you.

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 09:30:18 PM »
How does one go about getting the 853s modded to mini-xlr? 

Is this DIYable for an absolute n00b?
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 11:11:09 PM »
Yes a "noob" can do it :) its very simple let me know if you need any help the best place to get the connectors is BTX in NJ.

How does one go about getting the 853s modded to mini-xlr? 

Is this DIYable for an absolute n00b?
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2006, 10:39:46 PM »
Dumb question, but why is BTX the best place to get mini XLR connectors? The prices at trewaudio.com seem to be much better (about 60% of the prices listed at BTX's website).

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 11:41:49 PM »
Dumb question, but why is BTX the best place to get mini XLR connectors? The prices at trewaudio.com seem to be much better (about 60% of the prices listed at BTX's website).

Those may not be Switchcraft connectors. Let me know if you find out, though, because those prices are very good.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 12:59:37 AM »

Those may not be Switchcraft connectors. Let me know if you find out, though, because those prices are very good.

Richard

I can, and will, call them tomorrow and find out.

Let me follow up with another question: what does it mean if the connectors at Trew Audio are *not* Switchcraft?

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2006, 01:10:06 AM »

Richard

I can, and will, call them tomorrow and find out.

Let me follow up with another question: what does it mean if the connectors at Trew Audio are *not* Switchcraft?

It likely means they are "knock offs".  Ask them what brand they are.  If they cannot tell you, or they say something like "house brand", or "Trey brand", then they *may* not be as good.  I can get knock offs here for about $US 3 each, but I know the quality is just not there.   Nothing wrong with cheaper connectors, but the price should be cheaper too.  Of course, if you want to send me a couple, I can "evaluate them" on my cables :).

PS: If you get a chance, please ask if they have "panel mount" (male) connectors.  I think they are "TB3M" (3 wires) and T4BM (four wires), but ask to make sure.  There are what mates with the standard TA3F (AT mics) and TA4F (shure mics).

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2006, 02:23:25 AM »

It likely means they are "knock offs".  Ask them what brand they are.  If they cannot tell you, or they say something like "house brand", or "Trey brand", then they *may* not be as good.  I can get knock offs here for about $US 3 each, but I know the quality is just not there.   Nothing wrong with cheaper connectors, but the price should be cheaper too.  Of course, if you want to send me a couple, I can "evaluate them" on my cables :).

Busted, Sanjay! haha! Only kidding.

I got the 3-wire modding done by Sanjay, and he said he got the mini XLR connectors at Trew Audio.

If I get some of these connectors from Trew Audio, I might pick up a couple for you.  ;)  Do you want the female (TA3F) or male (TA3M)? 

PS: If you get a chance, please ask if they have "panel mount" (male) connectors.  I think they are "TB3M" (3 wires) and T4BM (four wires), but ask to make sure.  There are what mates with the standard TA3F (AT mics) and TA4F (shure mics).

Richard

Will do, on asking them if they have the panel mounts. But if you can get "knock offs" for cheaper locally, why bother paying more (after shipping)? Just curious.

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 04:41:09 AM »

Busted, Sanjay! haha! Only kidding.

I got the 3-wire modding done by Sanjay, and he said he got the mini XLR connectors at Trew Audio.

Ah.  If those are what Sanjay got, they are *good*.  He sent me some.  I'll take a look and let you know what brand they are...

If I get some of these connectors from Trew Audio, I might pick up a couple for you.  ;)  Do you want the female (TA3F) or male (TA3M)? 

I'd like two of TB3M (not TA3M).

Thanks!

Richard

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 12:48:49 PM »
I will have to check into that :) I thought BTX had the best prices I guess I was wrong there is one company making MINI xlr connectors they are knock offs of the switch craft and not the same quality at all. Also the BTX pricing once you open an account is much cheaper then what is listed in the web site.

Chris Church

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 01:19:37 PM »
I will have to check into that :) I thought BTX had the best prices I guess I was wrong there is one company making MINI xlr connectors they are knock offs of the switch craft and not the same quality at all. Also the BTX pricing once you open an account is much cheaper then what is listed in the web site.

Chris Church

Hey Chris,

Can you point me to BTX (or is it listed in this thread)?  I'll try to open an account :).

Thanks,
  Richard

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2006, 06:23:35 PM »
Sorry for the thread hijacking re: mini XLR connectors.

I called the company, Richard, and they *do* have the TB3M (male panel mounts), at $3.65 each. I'll be placing an order this week. :)   Or I may just go and pick them up in store this weekend, since I will likely be headed that direction anyway.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2006, 08:19:44 PM »
http://www.btx.com/ I get my mogami cable here and a few other odds and ends pardon the punn :) they have great mogami prices the connector prices are so-so. but they are fast and have everything in stock. I should warn you, they do not use USPS for shipping, only UPS or Fedex and they both charge brokerage fees. So unless your ordering $300+ you might want to stick with a company called Electrosonic 1-800-E-SONIC, they have great switchcraft prices and neutrik prices. But I have to order in the 100's to get them to stock items. They are a bit of a pain in the ass that way. But if they have what you need and your willing to buy more then 2 pcs you can haggle your price down a bit. I like that, not to many companies will do that no adays.
They both are good sources for cheap cable and connectors. Also contact me when you want stuff I am always ordering from these two and will just add what you want to my order and ship it to you direct.

Chris Church

Chris Church

Hey Chris,

Can you point me to BTX (or is it listed in this thread)?  I'll try to open an account :).

Thanks,
  Richard

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2006, 08:42:05 PM »
http://www.btx.com/ I get my mogami cable here and a few other odds and ends pardon the punn :) they have great mogami prices the connector prices are so-so. but they are fast and have everything in stock. I should warn you, they do not use USPS for shipping, only UPS or Fedex and they both charge brokerage fees. So unless your ordering $300+ you might want to stick with a company called Electrosonic 1-800-E-SONIC, they have great switchcraft prices and neutrik prices. But I have to order in the 100's to get them to stock items. They are a bit of a pain in the ass that way. But if they have what you need and your willing to buy more then 2 pcs you can haggle your price down a bit. I like that, not to many companies will do that no adays.
They both are good sources for cheap cable and connectors. Also contact me when you want stuff I am always ordering from these two and will just add what you want to my order and ship it to you direct.

Chris Church

Chris Church

Hey Chris,

Thanks,
  Richard

Thanks for the info and help, Chris.  I'll take a look.

Richard

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com