Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Denecke PS2 Mini >SBM-1? Does this work?  (Read 2622 times)

Offline MJ

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Denecke PS2 Mini >SBM-1? Does this work?
« on: September 27, 2007, 04:32:23 AM »
Hi all
I looked around here and there trying to educate myself but I could not find the answer to this question; Could I use SBM-1 as in the following lineage. ??? 

AT943s or AT853s >Nady Phantom Power Adapters>Denecke PS2 Mini >Sony SBM-1>TCD-D100 (DAT)

If I could use this setup, then should I run line in or mic in?

Right now I just happen to find a person who wanted to sell SBM-1.  Now we are working on the price.  I checked the threads and read good reviews about SBM-1.  I really want to use it if I could.   

Any info or your opinion or your suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Naniwa
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 04:57:47 AM by rocknrolljourney »
<Main Rigs>
Schoeps MK4s>(Nbox Active cables)>Nbox+ or Nbox Platinum>Izzy (Split) Cables>Sony PCM-M10 or Sony PCM-D100

<Sub Rigs>
(1)DPA4061s>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)>Church Audio Pre>(3.5 stereo mini+Canare cable + 3.5 stereo mini)>Sony PCM-M10
(2)DSM-6S/L>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)> Sony PCM-M10

<IEM>
(1)scanner
 DJ-X2000
 IC-RX7
(2)receiver
Shure P10R
Sennheiser ek2000
(3)recorders
Marntz PMD706

Offline grayp

• Taperssection All-Star
  • If I was a cactus I wouldn't need so much water
Re: Denecke PS2 Mini >SBM-1? Does this work?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 07:37:28 AM »
I don't know what a ps2 mini is (out of the times) but for a long time I ran 480s/ps2/modsbm.   i would go line in on the sbm and usually never had a problem with levels.   if it was an acoustic show, i could always hit the +6 switch on the 480s.     a friend found himself in a situation at panic this fall where he had been loaned a set of schoeps and only had access to a ps2 to go into my old modsbm/jb3.    he said he got plenty of levels with the schoeops as well but i imagine it was pretty loud at that show.

good luck
Akg 480/ck61/ck62/ck63 (a61 swivels if fob)->m148->722

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 11:29:31 PM »
now are you talking about the PS2?  t
hat is Phantom Supply only!  2 (meaning dual  2-channel ) Phantom...

it is not any kind of preamp, it is XLR in and out
purely a Phantom power supply, as for going into the SBM1 or other recorder or mic pre, you would want to use the Mic in as there has been no mic pre yet in the chain
the out of the PS-2 is mic level out not line lever, thats whay you would use a Mic Preamp, to boot the low impedance mic level to a line level...
make sense?

I used to use my PS-2  > my AD-20 (which is the mic pre, with a 16-bit 44.1k out - both optical and  coax - via 1/8 TS plug - to my old Sony TCD -D7 DAT, and also to my Fostex D-5 Dat

you could  get a 2 XLR  (L+R stereo) > 1/8 TRS  (stereo) mini plug if you needed to go in to a 1/8 inch TRS (stereo) "mini" plug

does this clarify any thing?
I sure hope it might...
peace
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 07:10:05 AM »
or..
you could cut the cable and wire up a nice 3.5mm plug in place of the XLRs

Offline MJ

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 02:07:48 AM »
Hi all thank you very much for responding to my post.
I am sorry that I did not reply sooner.  Recently my wife gave a birth to a baby girl.  Boy I did not know that a little one was so demanding.  I was too busy to check and post message here.   

I am also so sorry that I did no explain about PS-2 mini.  I should have added more info in advance. 
Of course Denecke PS-2 is a phantom power supply but PS-2 mini runs with a stereo MINIPLUG output instead of dual XLR outputs.  Please check the picture below.

What I am wondering about is if I could use a SBM-1 to boost the low level out of the PS-2 mini into my TCD-D100.  I have been checking around here and there to see if anyone uses the same set-up for a long time but this set-up dose not seem to be popular among today’s tapers.  Is this because (1) more people want to go for more than 16 bit recording equipments or (2) this set-up sucks.  I really appreciate any info and opinion.     

<Main Rigs>
Schoeps MK4s>(Nbox Active cables)>Nbox+ or Nbox Platinum>Izzy (Split) Cables>Sony PCM-M10 or Sony PCM-D100

<Sub Rigs>
(1)DPA4061s>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)>Church Audio Pre>(3.5 stereo mini+Canare cable + 3.5 stereo mini)>Sony PCM-M10
(2)DSM-6S/L>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)> Sony PCM-M10

<IEM>
(1)scanner
 DJ-X2000
 IC-RX7
(2)receiver
Shure P10R
Sennheiser ek2000
(3)recorders
Marntz PMD706

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 07:03:54 AM »
what?
how dare you put is in 2nd place over your new born daughter!
shame.
:)
+T for passing the genetics along.

ok..
1. bit depth is irrelevent.  this deck ps2/minimod would work w/a R9 just the same as a mini-disc or DAT deck
2. this setup doesn't suck at all !

I think your SBM would help boost things a bit.  worth a try.

the hack for the XLRs > 3.5mm is easy.

take pin2 from the right channel XLR, that wire will be the "ring"
take pin2 from the left channel XLR, that wire will be the "tip"
take the ground ..., that wire will be the shield.

this is sort of funky as the output is balanced, and there really isnt' a good way to "unbalance it" w/o digging into the PS2 unit itself.
But, i've done it several times.  it works like a charm.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com