Gear / Technical Help > Remote Power

minime homebrew battery questions

(1/6) > >>

chase:
so my buddy has this minime but no battery solution for it and won't shell out for the ecocharge stuff so i offered to build him a cheap SLA system.  however, since this is not my minime, i want to be extra careful conisdering some of the fire stories from Daryan ;).  

my question is what type of fuse should i put on this thing?  From the previous fuses thread i have gathered that amp hour ratings are meaningless in determining fuses.  from apogee's website it says that it's power consumption is 5.5W so....

5.5W / 12V  = 0.458A

so should i go for a 0.5A fuse or should i use a little larger amp rated fuse, say 0.75A?

also, preferably this has to be operational by saturday for denson, anyone know any other nationwide stores besides radioshack that might have 12V batteries and chargers?

thanks!

Tim:
Battery's plus

is it a rev c? if so it can run on 6v

leegeddy:
>> however, since this is not my minime, i want to be extra careful conisdering some of >>the fire stories from Daryan ;).  

good idea!! you don't want to shell out $$ if you fry the damn thing.

>>my question is what type of fuse should i put on this thing?  From the previous fuses >>thread i have gathered that amp hour ratings are meaningless in determining fuses.  >>from apogee's website it says that it's power consumption is 5.5W so....
>>5.5W / 12V  = 0.458A
>>so should i go for a 0.5A fuse or should i use a little larger amp rated fuse, say 0.75A?

750mA sounds adequate and it gives you some room slightly above 500mA.  i recommend fast blow fuses as well.  i'm trying to convince few folks that 500mA is NOT a small amount of current!!  it's useless to stick a 5A fuse on a device that draws only about 10th of that amount.

>>also, preferably this has to be operational by saturday for denson, anyone know any other nationwide stores besides radioshack that might have 12V batteries and chargers?

you may want to go through your Yellow pages and/or internet and find some hobby stores in your area, expecially the ones that carry remote control cars boat, cars, etc.

they usually carry SLA, chargers and wiring harnesses, etc.  

double and triple check your DC plug's polarity with a Voltmeter of some sort. feeding opposite polarity voltage is never good to delicate electronics.

if you're not comfortable with soldering, use good crimping tools, decent guage wiring and heat shrinks.

good luck. it's not too difficult!!

chase:
i'm not sure if it's a rev c or not, i know it was purchased about 1 year ago if that is any indication, i know he has the manual and everything, but i will have to ask him.  thanks for the advice! +T

DaryanLenz:
Just don't reverse the polarity, as the protection circuit in there is pretty bad and will burn up!

D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version