Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mac Mini for audio mastering?  (Read 2501 times)

Offline moondust.and.solitude

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Holding hands singing kumbaya
Mac Mini for audio mastering?
« on: March 25, 2021, 11:43:39 AM »
I have always wanted a Mac Mini, and the new M1 mini's look nice. I'm a little nervous about spending $1200 on one (a lot of money for me) and it not being able to do what I want. I'm looking at running Adobe Audition, or similar program, on it to master / edit my recordings which are mostly recorded in 24/96 Wav. Does anyone on here have first hand experience using a Mac Mini for stuff like this?

This is the unit I am looking at with the 16GB memory upgrade.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-mini/apple-m1-chip-with-8-core-cpu-and-8-core-gpu-512gb
Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Cables; Canare Custom Cables, UniStar LilRed Whip.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.
Misc: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB SDXC Cards.
RayoVac Fusion Batteries.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Mac Mini for audio mastering?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 12:07:47 PM »
I've used my Intel-powered Mini with Amadeus Pro many times. Performs very well! I did upgrade RAM and the drive to SSD which both really help performance. Having 2 monitors is also a nice enhancement.

I would think that you would see the best performance from the new Minis when the apps you use have been recompiled specifically for the new processor, but have no direct experience with them.

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 01:07:03 PM »
I've used my Intel-powered Mini with Amadeus Pro many times. Performs very well! I did upgrade RAM and the drive to SSD which both really help performance. Having 2 monitors is also a nice enhancement.

I would think that you would see the best performance from the new Minis when the apps you use have been recompiled specifically for the new processor, but have no direct experience with them.

Thank you for the follow up! I'm feeling very inspired now :)
Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 01:32:00 PM »
You're welcome! It looks like Audition isn't yet ready for the M1, but will be eventually (no release date):

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html

Once you're running native, please share your experience. I'm thinking it will scream.

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 02:12:34 PM »
You're welcome! It looks like Audition isn't yet ready for the M1, but will be eventually (no release date):

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html

Once you're running native, please share your experience. I'm thinking it will scream.

I sure will. Thanks again!

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 04:31:12 PM »
I used an old Mac Mini (8gb RAM and 500gb HDD) to run pretty large ProTools mixing sessions for a few years. You shouldn't have any problems, but make sure the programs/plugins you use are approved for use with the new M1. Those approvals can be pretty slow moving

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 11:29:02 PM »
I used an old Mac Mini (8gb RAM and 500gb HDD) to run pretty large ProTools mixing sessions for a few years. You shouldn't have any problems, but make sure the programs/plugins you use are approved for use with the new M1. Those approvals can be pretty slow moving

Thank you! I really appreciate your comments. I think I am sold and I'm placing my order for the MacMini now. It's just money, right? Lol.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 12:17:30 AM »
I've just upgraded to the m1 macbook pro.

It's scary fast with native applications.

Reaper renders are much faster.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 04:05:40 PM »
I have always wanted a Mac Mini, and the new M1 mini's look nice. I'm a little nervous about spending $1200 on one (a lot of money for me) and it not being able to do what I want. I'm looking at running Adobe Audition, or similar program, on it to master / edit my recordings which are mostly recorded in 24/96 Wav. Does anyone on here have first hand experience using a Mac Mini for stuff like this?
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-mini/apple-m1-chip-with-8-core-cpu-and-8-core-gpu-512gb
I bought the smallest cheapest newest Mac Mini with the M1 and it's excellent. I don't think the 512 is worth $200 more than a 256 but it IS very fast drive speed. I went for the 8 GB since I don't do big video renders, and it's plenty of RAM for my uses.
Screaming fast. FLAC encode of a typical CD track takes about one sec and it can do 8 at a time.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 05:52:12 PM »
I bought the smallest cheapest newest Mac Mini with the M1 and it's excellent. I don't think the 512 is worth $200 more than a 256 but it IS very fast drive speed. I went for the 8 GB since I don't do big video renders, and it's plenty of RAM for my uses.
Screaming fast. FLAC encode of a typical CD track takes about one sec and it can do 8 at a time.

Thank you. I changed my order and went down on the SSD size but stayed at the 16GB memory. Like you said, I can always add an external SSD later. I'm excited to get in on April 7th!

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 09:21:09 PM »
I've just upgraded to the m1 macbook pro.

It's scary fast with native applications.

Reaper renders are much faster.

Has been a while for me but upgrades to the DAW sure are fun, huh?

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 10:40:49 PM »
The new M1 is a game changer.
I don't know how long it will take to get native apps going on it, but it should be very good once it gets rolling.

Most of my work is in Linux, but I could be convinced to move to Apple for my next machine.

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com