Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sanyo Xacti ICR-XPS01  (Read 7904 times)

Offline jj69

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sanyo Xacti ICR-XPS01
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 11:00:30 PM »
I got mine and finally had a chance to test it a bit tonight.  I set it to LINE IN/COMPONENT and connected my 12V battery box and an external stereo mic.  In this configuration (with the mic and batt box connected), I could not adjust the input level AT ALL.  The little number in the lower right-hand corner does not appear at all.  I got the same result when set to LINE IN/PORTABLE. 

However, when the mic/batt box is completely disconnected, the little input level number reappears, presumably because the unit has automatically defaulted back to its internal mics. 

This is most confounding device I've ever seen.  Why on earth would the input level control be intentionally disabled when recording from an external source?!?!  For what conceivable reason would they add this "feature"? 

I realize that you could use an external pre to adjust your gain, but that defeats the entire purpose of this unit (i.e. its small size).  Why bother with a micro sized recorder if you have to carry around bulky preamp with it?  Besides, I typically record VERY loud shows, so I don't need a preamp at all. 

It's a real shame because this could have been the ultimate stealth recorder.  The unit is so small (smaller than a stack of three credit cards).  It also appears to be well made, and the internal hardware is probably quite good.  I wish there were a firmware update available, but there isn't (I checked). 

Perhaps I'll call Sanyo to ask if I'm missing something. 

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 03:33:28 AM »
Also that problem with the yamaha pocketraks, they would be just fine for using with a battery box but you can't adjust the gain on Line In.

maybe least options are Tascam Dr-03 or 08 also that small but Line In adjustable.
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 07:38:38 AM »
JJ69....that was my finding on Line/Component input the three settings just adjust sensitivity "Low-Medium-High"....the input can be ran as MIC with PIP power...and then you can control the microphone input level

So...PIP microphones don't have enough headroom and would brickwall for loud shows? I've never owned a PIP microphone setup....

I'd take it to a show and run it with Internals before I'd give up...like you said the Build Quality is real nice...they may sound fine to you in that situation...

While in the TSKB I found the following on PIP...

To be safe, the microphone would have to have a blocking capacitor to prevent the PIP getting through.

I would check on this before using.

If your recording device's mic input has an mic power OFF choice, turn it OFF.   
Having PIP turned on seems to always increase the deck's input noise and increase the loading of the connected mic. 

So if not needing the deck's powering feature, while unlikely to cause harm to your mic, don't use it for self powered or dynamic mics if at all possible.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 09:45:24 PM »
I've been playing around with this for a couple weeks.  Wish I didn't get it now.

Good:
Seems to be the best recorder through built-in mics at the price. If this is what you need and your budget is limited, here's a good choice.
I like the display, including the meters.
ALC, when absolutely necessary (read: left on by mistake), not too bad.

Okay:
Size.  Yes, it is quite small for what it is.  But no more pocketable than Hi-MDs.
I would prefer cards to omnis.

Not so good:
I'm not liking the touch pad.
Have to scroll through menus each time I record line in because it reverts to MP3, even if not powered off between recordings.
16 bits.

Really bad:
Can't adjust line in level except the three course changes. What I most wanted this for was to record line in from analogue and HD Radio at work so I could leave my R-4 home and secondarily to replace my HiMD as stealth recorder with ext. mics.  I can't get a reasonable line in level,.  It's way too low or overloaded depending on the input selection.  This is not only a really big flaw, it's a really stupid one.

Don't know yet:
Using it with my external stealth mics.

Conclusions:
Until this deal came along I was planning to buy a DR2d.  I wish I did.

Offline jj69

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 10:47:01 PM »
zowie: Why not just return it? 

I'll probably keep mine just for recording at comedy clubs.  I'll leave it on the table and see what it picks up. 

Regarding the smaller Tascams, I haven't used a DR-08, but I can tell you that the DR-03 is completely useless as a concert recorder.  The Line In is overloaded by practically any kind of amplified music.  It's also the noisiest recorder I've ever seen.  It's so bad it's embarrassing. 

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 06:23:01 AM »
Zowie...yeah this is not the end all even with 16bit...intended for a market a bit different than the average TS member...wonder if it is a candidate for RockBox?

Question
Is there a volume adjust for a Headphone Out on your work radio?  I'd use that to set the level if there was...that is the type of input this was built for. Additionally I have a headphone set with a variable volume attenuator (Less Volume only) on the cable...I guess it would be possible to re-terminate one of those to make an input cable for a hot output.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2011, 05:53:50 PM »
Radio Shack makes a headphone volume control that works as an attenuator.  It's not the sturdiest thing but it could be your workaround, worth a try for $9.

https://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102975

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 10:16:28 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. There are a number of work-arounds including using the (inferior) phones out.  But it's dumb to have to.  I may see how it does as a back-up deck for a live show next week.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com