Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: anyone use the 1/8 input into Marantz PMD 661?  (Read 3975 times)

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
anyone use the 1/8 input into Marantz PMD 661?
« on: August 11, 2009, 09:27:35 AM »
wondering how it sounds stock, sitll torn between a P-2 and the 661. I want to run my oade 148 into it. Love the sound of an Oade mod p-2, but hate the size. Thanks, Marc.

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: anyone use the 1/8 input into Marantz PMD 661?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 09:39:46 AM »
Why would you want to use the 1/8" input? The XLR line in is the way to go, and if you get a modded unit, you benefit from the upgrade using the XLR line as well as mic inputs. If you want to run a preamp with an unbalanced line out, you just have to get a pair of the Neutrix male XLR to female RCA adapters to plug into the 661.

I run a pair of the Sound Devices MP-1 mono preamps in front of my WMOD 661 and love the combo.

AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

marc0789

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 10:38:35 AM »
Why would you want to use the 1/8" input? The XLR line in is the way to go, and if you get a modded unit, you benefit from the upgrade using the XLR line as well as mic inputs. If you want to run a preamp with an unbalanced line out, you just have to get a pair of the Neutrix male XLR to female RCA adapters to plug into the 661.

I run a pair of the Sound Devices MP-1 mono preamps in front of my WMOD 661 and love the combo.

pins not compatible with the 148, I asked doug. and I don't want to fool with the pins.

Offline datbrad

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 12:18:07 PM »

pins not compatible with the 148, I asked doug. and I don't want to fool with the pins.

I don't understand. I know at least 2 people personally that ran their 148s XLR Line out to the XLR line in on their 722s with no problem. XLR pin assigments are standard, so going into the XLR line in on the 661 should work exactly the same way. What am I missing?
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

marc0789

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 10:31:25 AM »

I don't understand. I know at least 2 people personally that ran their 148s XLR Line out to the XLR line in on their 722s with no problem. XLR pin assigments are standard, so going into the XLR line in on the 661 should work exactly the same way. What am I missing?

well, the 661 does not work exactly the same way. A good buddy bought one, and found out after he bought that running 148>661 causes nasty buzzing, and Doug confirmed that he'd have to change the pins in the 148 to avoid that. don't really want to screw with that. thanks, Marc.

Offline datbrad

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 10:45:54 AM »

well, the 661 does not work exactly the same way. A good buddy bought one, and found out after he bought that running 148>661 causes nasty buzzing, and Doug confirmed that he'd have to change the pins in the 148 to avoid that. don't really want to screw with that. thanks, Marc.

Well, if that is true, I definately would not recommend the 661 at all for you.

marc0789

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 01:59:08 PM »
how do you like the sound running 460>661?

marc0789

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 02:06:49 PM »

ok, sorry to be a pest, but part of this makes no sense. Since the 661 does not have RCA inputs, why would I use xlr>rca adaptors?

Offline datbrad

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 10:41:43 AM »
how do you like the sound running 460>661?

I have not tried running the mics straight into it yet. I run a pair of mono preamps made by Sound Devices, the MP-1s, line into a WMOD 661 and love the sound. 3 sets of transformers and warm FET chips on the recorder, like it's 1995 all over again....

Offline datbrad

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:48:01 AM »

ok, sorry to be a pest, but part of this makes no sense. Since the 661 does not have RCA inputs, why would I use xlr>rca adaptors?

When I want to take a line input from an unbalanced feed, I use a Neutrix male XLR to femal RCA adapter on the 661, so I can use a normal set of RCA interconnects. You could also get a cable that is RCA male to XLR male if you don't like using an adapter.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com