Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone know how the internal mics on an R-09 are?  (Read 3415 times)

Offline maidencolorado

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Who farted?
Anyone know how the internal mics on an R-09 are?
« on: December 07, 2007, 08:36:22 PM »
OK, I have a show tomorrow afternoon, and suddenly the line in and mic in jacks on my R-09 aren't working.  I know about the fix for this issue, but I'm in a hotel and have no access to the needed tools.  So, here are my options until I get home:

I can go and use the internal mics or I can take my MiniDisc recorder, mics and battery box (lucky I brought them on a whim), or should I take both and just see what turns out better?  If anyone knows that the internals aren't going to pull it off, I'll just go MiniDisc.  The show is TSO

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Anyone know how the internal mics on an R-09 are?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 08:39:11 PM »
The internal mics on the R09 are better than nothing, but you's almost certainly be better served by external mics>minidisc.

Offline 3-Fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 01:30:59 AM »
I did internal mics on the r-09 at the Ryman last week and was more than surprised how well it sounded.  It was a low SPL situation.  Just monitor the gain on the R-09 a little.

AT853 > Church 9100 3 wire w/ mini XLR and switchable 4.7K mod > Edirol R-09HR

Offline bhakti

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 02:10:18 AM »
try both and give us a listen, i'd like to hear that...

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 09:11:52 AM »
I don't have an R09, but I have torrented quite a number of shows recorded on them (using internals).  They aren't great, for the most part, and are far inferior in sound quality to recordings I've downloaded made with the Edirol and external mics.  The exception was a fairly quiet jazz show.  For TSO, I am guessing the MiniDisc will sound better...But it would be interesting to hear samples of both...

Offline maidencolorado

• Taperssection Regular
  • Who farted?
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 09:34:29 AM »
Thanks everyone, I'm a couple hours out and have decided to do both.  I'll let you know how it goes.

And thanks for putting this wherre it belongs, still kind of n00bish here  ;D

Offline bhakti

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 10:01:14 AM »
look forward to hearing both... a small mp3 sample will be fine...
thanks...

Offline maidencolorado

• Taperssection Regular
  • Who farted?
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 12:48:20 PM »
OK, here is a sample from the R-09 using the internal mics.  I don't think it came out too badly, a bit boomy at times and I had to keep my input levels at 4.  I did nothing to the sample other than convert it to MP3 variable bitrate.

Sadly, my MiniDisc recording came out very distorted.  I listened to an earlier recording I had done that turned out well, and it sounded poor now as well.  I had new batteries in both the reorder and the battery box, so I know I can eliminate that.  Maybe the unit has just seen its days.

Offline maidencolorado

• Taperssection Regular
  • Who farted?
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 12:54:20 PM »
Here's another sample to give you a bit more of a feel

Offline bhakti

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 01:35:22 PM »
thanks for putting the samples up maidencolorado... sounds better than i expected... can EQ the boom you speak of easily i'm sure...

perhaps the MD had its high setting on mic or were you running it line-in... thanks again for running both either way... +T

Offline maidencolorado

• Taperssection Regular
  • Who farted?
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 02:03:09 PM »
Thanks, yes should be able to EQ it pretty easily.  I was thinking the same about using the line in or having the mic setting on high, but sadly not the case.  I just tried it out in front of my stereo at home, same results.  At least I have the R-09 now and got one decent pull, although I was a bit surprised which one it was.

Also managed to fix the mic in and line in problems, so everything should be smooth from here.

And thanks for encouraging me to try them both, guess I really had nothing to lose, but in the end actually gained something through the little field experiment.  I'll be sharing as soon as it is tracked and EQ'd if anyone's interested (Philadelphia 08 Dec 2007 Afternoon show).  

This will actually be the first show I've taped and been able to share (so far), but I've been bitten by the taping bug, so it surely won't be the last  ;D

Offline 6stringer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 07:22:39 PM »
I'll be sharing as soon as it is tracked and EQ'd if anyone's interested (Philadelphia 08 Dec 2007 Afternoon show).

Nice job bro, thanks for posting the samples. I've recorded them in Chicago again this year, matinee and evening. Matinee should be on Dime very soon, so keep an eye out.

Cheers

Offline maidencolorado

• Taperssection Regular
  • Who farted?
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 08:27:15 PM »
I'll be sharing as soon as it is tracked and EQ'd if anyone's interested (Philadelphia 08 Dec 2007 Afternoon show).

Nice job bro, thanks for posting the samples. I've recorded them in Chicago again this year, matinee and evening. Matinee should be on Dime very soon, so keep an eye out.

Cheers

Great to see you here (and to hear you are at it again this year).  I'm getting together with Jimbo to knock it out fairly soon.  I know Atlantic City was filmed, and I've heard mention of another  ;D ;D

Looking forward to checking out some of your work from this year (actually just got done watching your Chicago from last year)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com