Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: best sounding mics with V3  (Read 12759 times)

Tim

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:best sounding mics with V3
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2003, 12:12:39 PM »
You can't go wrong with the v3...even though some of you Apogee lovers will think otherwise  ;)

I like the V3. But I like a colored sound so the V3 only works for my ears with the Schoeps and Neumann's. Because of my personal preferences I would never think of running DPA's with a V3. However that is exactly what Scott Brown runs and we all know how much he loves it. Bottom line, what kind of sound are *you* looking for.

And are we sure that the V2 and the V3 preamps are identical? I don't think that they are, I believe (and please someone correct and clarify) that the V3 uses an updated chip in it's pre section. FWIW - I think the MMe pre and the V2 sound very similiar and I amsure that they use the same chip.

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2003, 01:27:07 PM »

I like the V3. But I like a colored sound so the V3 only works for my ears with the Schoeps and Neumann's. Because of my personal preferences I would never think of running DPA's with a V3. However that is exactly what Scott Brown runs and we all know how much he loves it. Bottom line, what kind of sound are *you* looking for.

And are we sure that the V2 and the V3 preamps are identical? I don't think that they are, I believe (and please someone correct and clarify) that the V3 uses an updated chip in it's pre section. FWIW - I think the MMe pre and the V2 sound very similiar and I amsure that they use the same chip.

Tim,

FWIW, gotta say that i agree completely with this entire post.  my feelings echo yours stated here, right down the line.  i run Neumanns/ Apogee for this reason.  i like a little color to my sound.  

that being said, i had the chance to run my Neumanns onstage for Kimock the other night with a V3, and the sound is amazing.  Jeff ran his Schoeps from the same location with my Mme and i can't wait to compare these sources.

some people strive for absolute transparency.  some people like a little coloration.  nothing wrong with either philosophy.  strictly a matter of taste.  ;)  

peace

~S    

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2003, 01:48:48 PM »
the v2 and v3 preamp stages are identical.  here's a link to the q&a:

http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/Digital_Converters/V3_Q&A.html

the minime uses a different chip by the same manufacturer, Burr Brown, see this post by Doug Oade.  

http://www.oade.com/cgi-bin/miva?Forum/technology/showmsg.mv+message=2632

-damon

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2003, 01:49:23 PM »
nothing wrong with either philosophy.  strictly a matter of taste.  ;)  

peace

~S    

Wow!!  A thread where everyone agrees!  Gotta love it.  
Different strokes for different folks  ;D

PHiL
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2003, 01:50:09 PM »
The biggest difference I have seen is that with the V2 the trim nobs decrease the gain, on the V3 they increase it, which I like better.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

DaryanLenz

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2003, 02:26:35 PM »
I think this has a lot more to do with the sound you are trying to get, and also the venues you find yourself in.  The v3 will not add any coloration, and when running with transparent mics, you get what you hear.   Personally, I like a little forgiveness in my tapes, and usually tape in crappy sounding bars.  For me, the mini-me allows a tape to be pulled from a bar that is better than the actual sound coming out of the pa.  I like this, while others may not.  Now if I was going to be taping in a accoustically accurate, good sounding venue, with a kiler PA, the v3 is probably what I would run.  BVut I would say, 99 percent of the venues we find ourse;ves in are not conducive to a transparent sound.  I guess you might be somewhere where everything sounds good, but I most certainly am not.  Thus, I chose the mme, but as always, YMMV.

Now I bet the dpa's sound killer with the v3, but lack the warmth I like.  I think any mic would sound good with the v3, as well as the mme, it is just all about what type of sound you are trying to get, and where you are taping.

Just me 2 cents

Daryan

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2003, 02:39:55 PM »
tim is right!  the mic preamp circuitry is not completely identical.  there are definitely differences that cause the units to sound different.  

micahel grace says that he only "billed the V3's preamp as "identical" to the V2 for a couple of reasons.  One is to try to explain that we did not compromise the preamplifier circuitry so that we could add an AD converter in the same box.  The other is that I did not want all of
our V2 customers to think that they were sitting on obsolete
equipment when, IMHO, it is still a state of the art preamplifier.   As a manufacturer it is very tricky to introduce a product that replaces an existing one.  Especially if you don't necessarily want to participate in a "throw away" society where "out with the old and in with the new" is what sustains our economy."

here is a link to his entire post:
http://www.oade.com/cgi-bin/miva?Forum/technology/showmsg.mv+message=4194

dave

Fuck MSG!!!

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2003, 03:08:16 PM »
interesting, i stand corrected...i guess it's not wise to take mike grace's statements at face value.  it sounds like the chipset is actually different.  how he can then say that the v2 and v3 preamps are identical is beyond me.  

-damon

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2003, 03:46:53 PM »
sorry damon, but i think it's NOT wise for you to say that you can't take michael's statements at face value.  he is one of the people who has helped shape this field.  his knowledge is not something to take for granted with a blanket statement like that.
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2003, 04:05:10 PM »
i'm very happy with my v3.  however, to say that the mic preamps in the v3 are "identical" to those in the v2 when they in fact use different circuitry is somewhat misleading.  they are most certainly very similar, but they are not identical, by his own statement.  if his desire is not to alienate prior purchasers to think their product is obsolete, perhaps he should've chosen a different route than saying that the new product is identical, without qualifying the statement to say it is almost identical.  he could've named it something other than the v3 with its connotations of being the replacement to the v2.

he may have provided this community with great products and a lot of knowledge, but why should he be able to make misleading, if not fundamentally false statements?

-damon

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2003, 08:34:48 PM »
I just picked up a V3 & there is no way it sounds identical to the V2. I never cared much for the V2 but there is definitely something different with the V3. I also prefer a "nuetral" recording over a "warm" or "colored" recording. I have my home system dialed in to produce a "warm" sound (tubes) but I want to record the absolute sound of the room/pa (sometimes for better or worse) You can always change your system in the future if your tastes change but you can't go back to your recordings. Too each his own ;D Some would say the 148 is colored as well but as long as it isn't dark sounding & fairly neutral I'm OK with it.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2003, 10:48:09 PM »
I have owned the V2 and V3, put personally it's hard to compare when you are also using the A/D in the V3, that is going to change the sound some and I don't think we need to start doing V2 to V3 comps, pre amp only 8).

I have quickly found the Schoeps to be a very nice compliment to the V3. The schoeps have their trademark "color" as some like to call it. Mix that warm low end of the schoeps with the detail and clarity of the V3 and you get a real nice sound. I am hearing highs now from the schoeps that the mini-me did not give me.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline ToddL

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I feel more like I did a while ago than I do now.
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2003, 09:38:34 AM »
Many great ideas, guys... thanks!  I didn't meant to make it sound like I was looking for an absolute right choice, I am very critical and will be making a decision based on what my ears like, but it sure is nice to hear what some of you are running and how *you* feel about that combo.  Thanks to all that said why they like their setup as well... some really nice things to consider that I haven't before.  To those running the ADK TL's, are you happy with this package in general?  I've heard a few tapes that I like a lot with these, but a real users oppinion would help a bunch.  Thanks again.

TL

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2003, 09:49:02 AM »
I have heard nothing but great things about the ADK A51-TL's, would love to test out a pair myself.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2003, 11:50:27 AM »
I've been a happy A51TL owner since Oct.'01.  I'd be glad to set people up with a few TL recordings.  Over the last year and a half, I've used them in many different situations - from on stage m/s to hypers din from the section in arenas.  I can also point you to a retailer.

Craig T.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com