Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: connecting speakers to amp  (Read 6047 times)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
connecting speakers to amp
« on: November 12, 2007, 10:23:21 PM »
Does anyone know what is the difference in sound quality when speakers are connected in a regular way and in a bi-wire way (http://www.davidmannaudio.com/faq/faq3.html)?

Also are these cables made for bi-wiring?

http://www.cs1.net/img/Canare_4S11_4m_HDS5_bi-wire_right_600.jpg

Most people here wire their system in a bi-wire way?
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: connecting speakers to amp
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 12:21:53 AM »
My opinion is that bi-wiring is another hoax to charm those bucks out of your wallet.  Show me a real test which proves otherwise and I will recant.  Not a test where folks know what they are listening to.  A test where neither the tester nor the subject is aware if the bi-amp or regular setup is being used.  Funny how the mfrs never want to run those tests.  LOL

I have been screwing around with audio for ~50 years, have some very nice high-end gear, and none of it requires bi-amping.  I can bi-amp an set of old AR2ax's I have, after I go out and get another pair of hafler DH500's and have them mono-bridged.  Not in this life.

Cheers

Ooops, I had this confused with bi-amping.  I apologize.  Look at the wiring and the same signal is being fed to the separate speaker drivers.  Hmmm.  More snake oil.  Again, show me a reliable and vald test and I will happily recant and rewire my AR's.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 12:24:55 AM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Frank in JC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 08:18:46 AM »
My opinion is that bi-wiring is another hoax to charm those bucks out of your wallet. 

Loudspeaker manufacturers don't care how much we spend on cables.  They're the ones who decided their device should be bi-wired, but they don't sell cables do they?

When bi-wiring, the conductor serving the midrange driver is carrying far less current than the conductor serving the woofer.  The difference is at least an order of magnitude, maybe a couple.  Is the signal affected differently in either case?  Many people say yes, but some people say no.  You just have to listen for yourself.
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 04:47:37 PM »
My opinion is that bi-wiring is another hoax to charm those bucks out of your wallet. 

Loudspeaker manufacturers don't care how much we spend on cables.  They're the ones who decided their device should be bi-wired, but they don't sell cables do they?

Well, speaker manufacturer's customers are the ones who really make the decision for them.  If you customer demographic wants to bi-wire, even just perceives the capability of bi-wiring as 'cool' or 'high-tech' even if they never use it, then a speaker manufacturer would be making a bad business decision to not put an extra set of input jacks on the back, regardless of the technical or auditory merits.

When bi-wiring, the conductor serving the mid-range driver is carrying far less current than the conductor serving the woofer.  The difference is at least an order of magnitude, maybe a couple.  Is the signal affected differently in either case?  Many people say yes, but some people say no.  You just have to listen for yourself.

Bi-wiring comes in two flavors:

A) Bi-wire can be a second set of speaker wires running from the same amp to the same input jacks on the speaker.  You could quintipla-wire if you wanted to.. and yes the current carried in each wire is cut in half each time you double the wires, but do you really think the sound is being limited by the ultimate current carrying ability of your first set of decent gauge speaker cables?

B) Bi-wire can also be a second set of speaker wires running from the same amp to a second set of input jacks that would normally be bridged to the first set (take out the bridge and wire to both input jacks).  That just moves the bridge point back to the amplifier output jacks, and is typically not why the manufacturer puts a pair of bridged inputs on speakers (other than for marketing purposes) ;)

Both of the above just add more wire.

Bi-amping comes in two flavors too:

C) Similar to B) above, Bi-amping uses two sets of speaker wires running to two sets of input jacks on each speaker that would otherwise be bridged (take out the bridge and wire one set of cables to each input jack pair).  But now each set of wires goes to it's own amp.  This just allows more amp power  since you are now using two amp channels per speaker instead of one.  Real world effect? You could run a different amp for the bass that the top end if you wanted, assuming both amps have the same gain.  Also, if you were to clip the amp running the woofers, your tweeters would not be affected.  Each amp is still amplifying the full frequency range and the speaker is still doing the crossover duties.  There might be a slightly easier impedance load seen by each amp, or there might not, but them's details.

D) The speakers are modified to entirely remove or bypass the crossover (or a significant portion of it). This eliminates most components between the amp and the driver. An active crossover stage is added before the amplifiers to split the frequency range before amplification.  Each amplifier then amplifies only the frequency range needed for the driver(s) it feeds.  Most importantly, the load seen by the amplifier is definitely less complex and much easier to drive since the frequency spitting and driver balancing is done on line level signals and not speaker level signals, so you can use much smaller amplifiers to do the same job.  This works well and it's how huge PA systems are designed and how better 'active' monitors work where the active x-overs, amps, speaker cables and drivers are all in the same box.  But it's rather complicated to implement properly with a standard speaker.  You need test equipment to really setup the crossover correctly and it's WAY easy to fry things if done wrong.. which is why you won't find this option common with speaker manufacturers unless they are doing all of it themselves 'in the box' of an active monitor.

Those are the facts.. and here's a (widely held) opinion:

Speaker manufacturer's are probably thinking about C) above. It's relatively simple and foolproof to implement, might actually make some real improvements at times and satisfies the tweaky audiophile crowd.  If customers want to do B) that's fine with the manufacturer, even if it just adds wire.  If they want to do D), where the real gains are to be seen, they're on their own (to hell with the warranty).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 10:42:53 PM »
So uh, here's what I'm doing (for a laugh) right now:

Certified CAT-6 ethernet cable for speaker wire, seperate cable for positive and negative on each speaker.

So that's four solid-core independant twisted pairs per connection, precisely spaced with the little plastic thingy.
What's weird is that some pairs are wound more tightly than others - resulting in some conductors being shorter than the others!
Diggin' the sound though :) 

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 10:44:33 PM »
I know CAT-5 is used for speaker cable
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 10:54:35 PM »
Yeah, CAT-5 is commonly used for installations, with pos/neg in the same cable - the twisted pairs causing them to gain some independance from each other.
I used CAT-6 on a lark cause it was sitting around, decided to run seperate pos/neg cables, then realized the different twists would effectively result in different lenths within the same conductor  ::)  So far so good tho!

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 08:13:58 AM »

A) Bi-wire can be a second set of speaker wires running from the same amp to the same input jacks on the speaker.  You could quintipla-wire if you wanted to.. and yes the current carried in each wire is cut in half each time you double the wires, but do you really think the sound is being limited by the ultimate current carrying ability of your first set of decent gauge speaker cables?

B) Bi-wire can also be a second set of speaker wires running from the same amp to a second set of input jacks that would normally be bridged to the first set (take out the bridge and wire to both input jacks).  That just moves the bridge point back to the amplifier output jacks, and is typically not why the manufacturer puts a pair of bridged inputs on speakers (other than for marketing purposes) ;)

(A) is not a practical example of "bi-wiring" for the end-user, but some manufacturers (Jena Labs for example) do parallel their conductors.

(B) You are mistaken.  While that indeed is an example bi-wiring, it does more than "move the bridge point back to the amplifier output jacks."  The current level in the cables powering the midrange driver and tweeter is much lower than in the cables powering the woofer.  (Why?  Because their frequency/impedance characteristics are wildly different.)  The same signal is present in both conductors, but outside the bandpass of each module's crossover, the impedance approaches infinity.  If you just use a bridge at the loudspeaker, the composite load of both modules is "seen" on the same set of cables.  This, and bi-amping, is exactly why manufacturers provide two sets of inputs.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 08:15:58 AM by Frank in JC »
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 11:26:02 AM »

A) Bi-wire can be a second set of speaker wires running from the same amp to the same input jacks on the speaker.  You could quintipla-wire if you wanted to.. and yes the current carried in each wire is cut in half each time you double the wires, but do you really think the sound is being limited by the ultimate current carrying ability of your first set of decent gauge speaker cables?

B) Bi-wire can also be a second set of speaker wires running from the same amp to a second set of input jacks that would normally be bridged to the first set (take out the bridge and wire to both input jacks).  That just moves the bridge point back to the amplifier output jacks, and is typically not why the manufacturer puts a pair of bridged inputs on speakers (other than for marketing purposes) ;)

(A) is not a practical example of "bi-wiring" for the end-user, but some manufacturers (Jena Labs for example) do parallel their conductors.

Not practical? why not, just add a second set of wires.. totally practical, just not very effective.

(B) You are mistaken.  While that indeed is an example bi-wiring, it does more than "move the bridge point back to the amplifier output jacks."  The current level in the cables powering the midrange driver and tweeter is much lower than in the cables powering the woofer.  (Why?  Because their frequency/impedance characteristics are wildly different.)  The same signal is present in both conductors, but outside the bandpass of each module's crossover, the impedance approaches infinity.  If you just use a bridge at the loudspeaker, the composite load of both modules is "seen" on the same set of cables.  This, and bi-amping, is exactly why manufacturers provide two sets of inputs.

Yes your are correct. My biases are showing.  I still think it's pretty useless.  IMO the frequency/impedance characteristics you mention do have an effect on the amplifier driving the load depending on it's design, which is why bi-amping like in example C) has merit, but on just the cables? Eh.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 07:42:43 AM »
when I went from a single cable to a double cable setup to my Von Schweikert VR4s, the difference was not insignificant.  It was like a switch in the whoofer was turned "on" for the first time.

Offline tiberiusbkirk

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 10:13:36 AM »
I'd figure the speaker maker designed it to be bi wired, so what the hey.
that said, using a vintage receiver I'm back to using plain old 16 gauge copper wire
and I hear no difference. I'm using a short cable for the bi wire connection instead
of the copper bar.
I think it's because my Tandberg receiver sounds oh so sweet.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 10:38:15 AM »
when I went from a single cable to a double cable setup to my Von Schweikert VR4s, the difference was not insignificant.  It was like a switch in the whoofer was turned "on" for the first time.

Mmmm, shoe leather..

Interesting to hear it made a difference to you Nick. It hasn't made any real difference in my experience and I rationalize that with the explanation above.  Maybe there is more to it than I give credit for, but it would definitely be 'system dependant'.  I've tried it on several different speaker/amp combos without detectable effect, but I'll keep my mind and ears open.

[/removing foot from mouth]

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 02:15:44 PM »
my dealer was telling me to do this..."Nick, you can't run the VR4s any other way, you'll see", he would say.
he was right.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 07:08:50 AM »
I am not touching this one with a 10 foot pole!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 11:14:13 AM »
I am not touching this one with a 10 foot pole!

C'mon Carl touch it.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 03:04:23 PM »
Nope I don't have enough piss in me for this pissing match  ;D

Maybe once I come up with a "scientific test" to explain emotions then possibly I may be able to keep up with all the so called experts around these parts lately
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 06:38:53 PM »
then possibly I may be able to keep up with all the so called experts around these parts lately

keep dreaming.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com