Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Partial List Of Forum Mic Preferences  (Read 6361 times)

Offline 0vu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Partial List Of Forum Mic Preferences
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 06:08:41 AM »

...MBHO
1 x Jecklin Disk
1 x Schneider Disk

I have both also, and a Sonic Studios Lite Guy, but generally use the Jecklin Disk because it is easiest to schlepp around.  Do you find any sonic differences in these two, and where would you use one rather than the other?

Jeff

I'm not John but I've used a Schneider Disc on maybe a hundred or so recordings over several years (and a Jecklin Disc on over a thousand recordings since 1994/5) and imo the Schneider Disc produces recordings which are more convincing on headphones than those of the Jecklin Disc* but which translate less well to speaker listening. I treat it more as an interesting novelty item for use when a recording is needed specifically for headphone listening rather than a useful all round tool which works in a wide range of applications.

(*When either is used alone. I do, however, find it much harder convincingly to integrate a Schneider Disc main pair with spot mics in a multimic setup, which can present problems.)

I do quite a lot of recording for hospital radio, the listeners to which are almost all restricted to headphones. It works well for these.

(Out of sheer laziness, this post has been recycled from it's original use on another forum. :) )

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Partial List Of Forum Mic Preferences
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 12:12:05 PM »
1 x Jecklin Disk
1 x Schneider Disk

I have both also, and a Sonic Studios Lite Guy, but generally use the Jecklin Disk because it is easiest to schlepp around.  Do you find any sonic differences in these two, and where would you use one rather than the other?

Jeff

I'm not John but I've used a Schneider Disc on maybe a hundred or so recordings over several years (and a Jecklin Disc on over a thousand recordings since 1994/5) and imo the Schneider Disc produces recordings which are more convincing on headphones than those of the Jecklin Disc* but which translate less well to speaker listening. I treat it more as an interesting novelty item for use when a recording is needed specifically for headphone listening rather than a useful all round tool which works in a wide range of applications.

(*When either is used alone. I do, however, find it much harder convincingly to integrate a Schneider Disc main pair with spot mics in a multimic setup, which can present problems.)

I do quite a lot of recording for hospital radio, the listeners to which are almost all restricted to headphones. It works well for these.

(Out of sheer laziness, this post has been recycled from it's original use on another forum. :) )

Thanks for sharing your observations, I've wondered about this for a long time as well.

Jeff, can you comment on any sonic differences between these disks and the Lite Guy baffle?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com