Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: akg 391's from the section  (Read 4903 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
akg 391's from the section
« on: July 21, 2004, 06:22:18 PM »
Hey all!
Well... Saturday will be my first big outdoor venue taping experience.  Since I've been taping, I've been doing either matrix recordings, or smaller clubs.  I hate to admit it but I am seriously lacking in this kind of experience.  The show is The Dead at Alpine.  The section I assume will be near the sbd which is about 1/2 way up a grassy hill behind the reserved seating.  I haven't been to alpine since the dead family reunion a few years ago, so I'm guessing it is about 500 ft back from the PA.
     I'm running 391's (cards) with ua5, from a 13' stand.  I would like to hear any suggestions for mic placement.  I typically use ortf indoors, but I seem to recall somebody suggesting din for outdoors.  If anything will help me achieve a slightly "more upfront" sound that would appeal to me (I assume that's not really possible), and I'm also somewhat of an image freak.  Any suggestions would be great! 

Thanx
Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
Re: akg 391's from the section
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 06:32:01 PM »
DIN is your best chance of getting a more upfront sound out of the cards.  You may even tighten the angle to 70*, but that's as narrow as I'd go, and keep the DIN spacing.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 07:11:05 PM »
run the 391s DIN...I only ran from the section once when I had those mics but the results were pretty good...

Offline jkoch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 08:13:41 PM »
i've got the 391s too, but never dealt with the dead or alpine. do they make you go to "the section" or is it anywhere on the lawn? i was forced to the lawn for mayer at coors and setup near the stacks they actually have setup on the lawn and ran a-b. came out better than it probably would of from the front orch stacks...lot less crowd noise though which i actually take as a negative in this case.
if that's not an option i'd also say DIN
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 09:00:13 PM »
DIN for sure, narrow your spacing a little bit if they put you on the lawn,
otherwise, DIN in the pavilion
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 03:23:19 AM »
wow... very cool!  seems as though DIN is the way to fly.
c.clark... I'm not sure where they will put me, but if memory serves, I think the section is by the sbd which (I think) is just behind the walkway between the reserved and lawn seating.  Looks like I'll tighten the DIN
Jon... yes there is a "section" but who knows what people will actually abide by.
Craig t... I think I will try the tighter angle, but I can only assume that the image will suffer... such is life
nick gregory... You help make this solid for me.  If you remember our little discussion on the behringer mixer, (my first post here I believe) I should have headed your advice and put my pre in front of the mixer long before I did... so, thanks twice.

+T to all!!!
Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 08:07:35 AM »
nick gregory... You help make this solid for me.  If you remember our little discussion on the behringer mixer, (my first post here I believe) I should have headed your advice and put my pre in front of the mixer long before I did... so, thanks twice.

+T to all!!!
Matt

Glad I could help...+T back to ya...

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 01:14:48 PM »
the sbd is at the very back of the reserved seating. then there is a walkway and then the lawn begins. At Dead related events the TS is almost always on the lawn.

good luck, enjoy... those were my first mics too!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 01:35:56 PM »
when did the SBD at Alpine get moved so far back?
I havent been there since 96, but it was DFC in the pavilion then.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 02:00:48 PM »
I've been every year since 98 and it's always been there.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 02:44:47 PM »
Thanks again guys.  I'll let you know how it goes.  This may be my last dead show... I said that last year as well.  Having Warren Haynes on board made me change my mind again.  I just miss Jerry, as I'm sure we all do.  I know Jerry is never coming back, but maybe Warren will fill that void some with his soulful voice.  If anyone is going to be there let me know, and maybe we can hook up in the section!

Matt

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 07:16:15 PM »
Have a good time Matt. Had I known ahead of time that you were headed to that show I'd have lent you my 93's...
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 01:09:17 PM »
Have a good time Matt. Had I known ahead of time that you were headed to that show I'd have lent you my 93's...
no problem Mirth.  I want to try mine just the way they are anyway.  Why don't you just come with me and we can do a comp!  A little dualing 300's  dawr dawr dawr dawr dawr dawr dawr dawr dawwwwwwr...  dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum... YEEEEE HAAAAAW!

Matt

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 05:02:11 PM »
good luck bro, i was just there and ran DIN w/ my 481's for phish, depending on the mix, the tapes will smoke, i was as DFC as possible the front row of the section, but i think youd be better off going halfway up the section, to the 'middle' seats of the 'section' as close as possible to the SBD

but i would agree w/ tim, the tapers section will prolly be in the lawn :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 06:46:11 PM »
Thanks Bean +T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com