Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 414lxls ramblings  (Read 6350 times)

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Dude abides...
Re: AKG 414lxls ramblings
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 11:20:13 AM »
Although with Blumlein I have noticed i will need a taller stand to use at festivals. The chatter can be an issue. if I was a 1-11/2 feet higher I think I would get less chatter.

I'm a big fan of getting my stand way up there whenever I can.  Never understood why folks don't generally do that.  Less crowd noise, certainly, but also, typically the PA is up there a bit, too.  I've found I've had better results than those around me on many occasions, simply due to stand height.  YMMV, naturally.  It always seemed like a no brainer to me, though.   :)

Less crowd, but not better sound in my experience.  The PA might be up in the air, but it is not pointed that way.  It is pointed toward the crowd/middle of floor.  In a line-array system, if you have your mics up real high, you will be picking up sound that was intended for people way behind you.  I have found that the higher you put the stand , the more brittle and unnattural it sounds. 

This assumes most venues know how to set up a sound system.  Not the case at most venues I record at.

Also, I don't see what' wrong with picking up the sound intended for people behind you?  I haven't had the brittle, unnatural sound you talk about here (to my ears, of course), so I'm hoping you/others can expound on that a bit.  I guess what I'm trying to do is pick up the sound intended for those behind me, without the crowd noise of those behind me.  What's the pitfall there?

But again, the biggest point here is that most venues I'm recording in have haphazard setups of the sound system, and I've found that to be the case almost everywhere I go.
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline MarkE

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 10:29:37 PM »
Heres a few samples of a show I taped with the 414's in a Blumlein pattern. Its in mp3, butyou can get the idea.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/attachments/157997/1966226/Indiana%20Line.mp3

http://www.dimeadozen.org/attachments/157997/1966229/Baby%20Your%20On%20Your%20Own.mp3

http://www.dimeadozen.org/attachments/157997/1966230/Stop%20hangin%20around.mp3

By far my favorite pattern. The sub cards outside I like alot.
open: Dpa 4022 > Naiant Midbox> Edirol R-09hr or iRiver H120
Stealth : Sonic Studios DSM-6S > Custom Battery Box> Edirol R-09hr
Stealth : Nevaton MCE400 > Naiant Tinybox > Edirol R-09hr

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 08:38:22 AM »
Anxious to hear any fig8 experiences with the 414's.

Not much to say from my side other than it sounds simply stunning when it works out well, and worse than average to my ears when it doesn't.
Didn't you record that Allison Krauss show last year with some 414's? (rockygrass i think). That one sounds incredible!
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline junonato

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 09:47:39 AM »
Blumlein at a late night bluegrass jam session/circle, WOW!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com