Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sennheiser Active Setup  (Read 88876 times)

Offline aegert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: New Sennheiser Active Setup
« Reply #240 on: February 05, 2008, 06:45:30 AM »
The comp did not turn out well...  THe test had to many differing variables. We ddi do some post processing to bring things closer together...

Ala Roll off's with HP filters with gain recovery to match the schoeps settings...

These 2 mics were the only 2 that were good to compare at all as the DPA's ran xy coincident and the they were run DIN not ortf...

Stay tuned..

A

B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
« Reply #241 on: February 05, 2008, 09:30:06 AM »
You just need to send me all the mics, so I can assign them channels on the Deva.   ;D

Of course that would mean I would actually have to go out and record a show. Something I haven't done in months.  :-[

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline T.J.

• Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #242 on: February 05, 2008, 09:34:20 AM »
The comp did not turn out well...  THe test had to many differing variables. We ddi do some post processing to bring things closer together...

Ala Roll off's with HP filters with gain recovery to match the schoeps settings...

These 2 mics were the only 2 that were good to compare at all as the DPA's ran xy coincident and the they were run DIN not ortf...

Stay tuned..

A

thanks for the effort regardless. i would still be very interested in hearing the recording using these mics, primarily b/c i was there and taping right next to you guys. even just a song or two would be greatly appreciated. i am seriously thinking about taking the plunge and every sample i have is useful.

+T for the efforts!

did anyone get the remote cables yet? also, i am interested if anyone has had a chance to fit these with schoeps kwon bars.

Offline aegert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #243 on: February 05, 2008, 11:21:53 AM »
tj
pm me your addy I will
send many samples to you on dvd

I spoke with senn today.. As it turns out there roll off after 40hz is much less than that of dpa's and schoeps so I will be using a -6db/octive hp at 50hz to bring them more into line form now on and run them in xy as well... after hearing the dps xy config fom that pole!

They might be great pointed at stacks as well for NMA as the subs were really kicking and off to the sides so in essence the mics were non coincident and pointing slightly outside the stacks who knows..ROFL!

I will say when I used a stereo mastering eq plugin in wavelab and roled off and did the gain reclamation the recording came way back into where i wanted it... Without it was way base heavy... to the point of driving the mid-highs way to low in the recording..

I love the mics character though no mid color like schoeps... more like dpa's but I think the set up choice of ortf was wrong for that location and it was ortf not din.. We were DFC but the balcony repeaters came into play

Live and learn!

If anyone has a ticket for black crowes march 4th I would love to try again there!

A
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #244 on: February 14, 2008, 11:10:25 AM »
My new Sennheiser MHK8040 should be here today according to the tracking information. I only ordered one because I plan on using it strictly for film. The shockmount for it is currently backordered until mid-April, so I'm going to use one of my PSC mounts until then.

Wayne

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #245 on: February 14, 2008, 12:19:43 PM »
My new Sennheiser MHK8040 should be here today according to the tracking information. I only ordered one because I plan on using it strictly for film. The shockmount for it is currently backordered until mid-April, so I'm going to use one of my PSC mounts until then.

I hate to have to say this - but, personally, I would use the new Rycote INV-3 shockmount for it, rather than the new Sennheiser one.

The Rycote will be available in March for $79, about half the price of the MZS 8000.

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #246 on: February 14, 2008, 02:15:05 PM »
The Rycote will be available in March for $79, about half the price of the MZS 8000.

I'm amazed that Rycote could produce something cheaper than Sennheiser. I'm sure I'll end up adding the Rycote to my kit. FYI, I never pay full price for gear... I got the Sennheiser for about the price of the Rycote.

Wayne

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #247 on: February 14, 2008, 03:09:52 PM »

I'm amazed that Rycote could produce something cheaper than Sennheiser. I'm sure I'll end up adding the Rycote to my kit. FYI, I never pay full price for gear... I got the Sennheiser for about the price of the Rycote.

;D  The Rycote windshields were always cheaper than the Sennheiser - in the UK, anyway.

But the Rycote In-vision mount is much better than the MZS 8000 - the mic. doesn't wobble about like it does on the MZS (unless they changed the design).

Having seen a lot of the MKH 8000 range and accessories - they are all great, except for that shockmount (and I did tell Sennheiser Germany about it).

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #248 on: February 14, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »

I hate to have to say this - but, personally, I would use the new Rycote INV-3 shockmount for it, rather than the new Sennheiser one.

very slick looking shock mount!

thanx for the nice pic too!
-- Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #249 on: February 14, 2008, 09:14:10 PM »

But the Rycote In-vision mount is much better than the MZS 8000 - the mic. doesn't wobble about like it does on the MZS (unless they changed the design).

Having seen a lot of the MKH 8000 range and accessories - they are all great, except for that shockmount (and I did tell Sennheiser Germany about it).

I was going to use my PSC mounts until the Sennheiser mount came in. However that isn't going to work. The mic is too small! ;)

I'll have to find another solution until either the Rycote or Sennheiser mount is available.

Wayne

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #250 on: February 15, 2008, 02:35:56 AM »
I was going to use my PSC mounts until the Sennheiser mount came in. However that isn't going to work. The mic is too small! ;)

I'll have to find another solution until either the Rycote or Sennheiser mount is available.

Something like an Ambient Mini Floater might work - but it's not a cheap solution for such a short time.

Offline bobsmith19

• Taperssection Regular
    • Live from Atlanta
« Reply #251 on: February 17, 2008, 10:07:52 PM »
chalk up another member of team sennheiser...just got my matched set of 8040s.  purchased from bsw, great deal and very nice people there.  they are so small!  my first outing with them will be next friday, a local band called the constellations.  bob.
Milab VM-44 Link > SX-M2 > PMD661 OCM
Nevaton MCE 400 > PS1 > PMD661 OWM
AT853 (80s model) > PMD620 OWM

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2008, 11:12:23 PM »
congratulations on your new mics. We are all anxious to hear more recordings with these.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #253 on: February 20, 2008, 04:08:38 PM »
Just got off the phone with Sennheiser USA and they confirmed that a Fig8 & Shotgun capsule are in the works and that they hope to unveil them at the next AES convention in San Francisco 10/2008. Looks like I might have to sell my AKG 460's to fund a pair of cards & 1 fig 8 capsule at the end of the year.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #254 on: February 20, 2008, 04:10:58 PM »
odd how this new line of mics suddenly opens up a whole new microphone option for us tapers, and it comes essentially out of the blue

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com