Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

DPA 4061 response charts, with 'low-boost' short grids (a DPA matched pair)

(1/3) > >>

Gutbucket:
Below are PDF scans of the response calibration charts for a pair of DPA 4061 miniature omnis, matched by DPA back in 2003.  These are actual measured response graphs, rather than the more generic, idealized response curve found on DPA's website and provided with all 406x microphones.  This measurements reflect the ~ +5dB response boost at 9kHz imparted by the low-boost short-grid installed on the microphones.

Len Moskowitz (Core Sound):
They did a good job matching them.

I wonder what they look like today, 12 years later.

Gutbucket:
Hi Len.  The same two thoughts occurred to me as well.. in exactly that order.

dabbler:
Interesting!

"low-boot"?  Are these the default soft-boost grids which are stated to give +3dB boost at 15k?

So what is the deal with the idealized response graphs DPA is showing on their site?  Their marketing department overruling their engineers? :)

In my head-baffled stage lip / stack recordings, I've often felt the high frequencies sound overemphasized even with EQ to undo the boosts based on the idealized graphs.  I figured sound engineers at shows were assuming everybody was wearing earplugs and boosted the highs to compensate.

voltronic:
This is very cool - now I want a pair even more!  That really is pretty impressive matching.

I came across this other great thread of yours which is related - maybe you would consider asking the mods to move it to TSKB also:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=147921.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version