Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAT conversion on a Mac  (Read 2892 times)

Offline mykrandall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
DAT conversion on a Mac
« on: May 14, 2020, 01:09:52 PM »
Greetings,

From 1998 through 2003 I used a Sony PCM-M1 DAT recorder (R.I.P.) to patch in and record countless shows that I've been staring at for years. Given quarantine, I figured it might be time to start looking at converting all of these masters. However, I'm the least technical taper that ever lived. I'm not looking to get back into taping, so I was hoping I might get some guidance on the the best/most economical and basic DAT player to run into my MacBook Pro, and any recommended software for conversion.

Many thanks in advance!
Mike

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DAT conversion on a Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 03:26:03 PM »
From 1998 through 2003 I used a Sony PCM-M1 DAT recorder (R.I.P.) to patch in and record countless shows that I've been staring at for years. Given quarantine, I figured it might be time to start looking at converting all of these masters. However, I'm the least technical taper that ever lived. I'm not looking to get back into taping, so I was hoping I might get some guidance on the the best/most economical and basic DAT player to run into my MacBook Pro, and any recommended software for conversion.
WELCOME! Great question.
Conventional wisdom on this is that machines with full size heads rather than 3/4 or 1/2 size heads will work the best and have the least errors. Usually home or studio machines which are not portable are equipped with full size heads.

I don't have a suggestion for the best machine to use or the best interface, or the best software, but I'll point out that in order to get a proper digital transfer, you will need to have the Mac lock its sample rate to the "external clock" of the actual playback deck.

Modern Mac OS involves using the Audio MIDI Setup app to select sample rates, but you may need to choose clock source from the control panel of your sound interface with the digital input.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 04:14:27 PM »
Greetings,

Many thanks in advance!
Mike

Maybe see if someone on here who already has a setup dialed in is willing to do the transfers for you? 
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline mykrandall

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 09:00:00 AM »
Greetings,

Many thanks in advance!
Mike

Maybe see if someone on here who already has a setup dialed in is willing to do the transfers for you?

That would be very ideal if there were any takers!

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 12:32:04 PM »
Greetings,

Many thanks in advance!
Mike

I have been doing many DAT transfers during this time for people. Have a Tascam DA-20 that was recently serviced in the last year. I'm in the middle of studying for my board exam and have my DAT deck next to me and can get through a bunch of tapes in the day.

Email me! ryanj@reflectinginthechrome.com

http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline mykrandall

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 02:32:55 PM »
Greetings,

Many thanks in advance!
Mike

I have been doing many DAT transfers during this time for people. Have a Tascam DA-20 that was recently serviced in the last year. I'm in the middle of studying for my board exam and have my DAT deck next to me and can get through a bunch of tapes in the day.

Email me! ryanj@reflectinginthechrome.com

Thank you! I'll drop you a line!

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 08:51:55 PM »
Two years ago, I transferred about 1,000 stereo masters from a national radio broadcaster. I tried a number of rigs and this is what worked the best and was the most reliable:

Sony 7040 > Hosa Interface > Tascam 680d

Still many DATs had to be re-run multiple times because of read errors on the tape. You’ll need to either monitor the transfer real time or load up the finished file to a DAW and check for dropouts and anomalies.

I went through quite a few DAT machines and better machines had less read errors. I had issues going directly into the sound card I/O because of the bit rate and software interference.   If you want to forego the bit rate compatibility and could disconnect the computer from any other activity, disabled the internet, and turn off any automatic software, you’ll have better luck.  I had a 16b spare recorder laying around, and that was easier. The Tascam is, of course, rock solid.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 10:22:18 AM »
Two years ago, I transferred about 1,000 stereo masters from a national radio broadcaster. I tried a number of rigs and this is what worked the best and was the most reliable:

Sony 7040 > Hosa Interface > Tascam 680d

Still many DATs had to be re-run multiple times because of read errors on the tape. You’ll need to either monitor the transfer real time or load up the finished file to a DAW and check for dropouts and anomalies.

I went through quite a few DAT machines and better machines had less read errors. I had issues going directly into the sound card I/O because of the bit rate and software interference.   If you want to forego the bit rate compatibility and could disconnect the computer from any other activity, disabled the internet, and turn off any automatic software, you’ll have better luck.  I had a 16b spare recorder laying around, and that was easier. The Tascam is, of course, rock solid.

I've been doing the Tascam DA-20 > Marantz PMD671. It's been working wonders and I have the DAT machine right next to me while I'm studying and can listen for any digital scratches/pops etc. I too was having a real difficult time finding something that worked with a soundcard. A lot of incompatibility. At least the 671 has a coax in, which I feel good about the transfer method. If there are any errors while running that, I will throw it through my D8 to see if there are different results. Usually all those errors are sorted out when I do that.
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 10:34:56 AM »
one of my 661s keeps dropping exactly 160 samples. i really need to isolate it, posibly the SD card im using

these things should be tested for best results

a simple sine wave thats a few hours long makes it easy to pick out dropped samples
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 11:33:10 AM »
I've been doing Tascam DA-30 > Marantz PMD671. I use Macs but it appears that digital transfers to Macs are resampled.  Independent of how they are done, I've had trouble with dropouts on a large percentage of my DATS (and I've tried several DAT machines)
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 02:27:03 AM »
Thats why I use a Hosa interface to the SPDIF in on the Tascam.  Forget the soundcard.  Any digital recorder with a digital in will probably outperform a soundcard. 

You guys are over-thinking this.  Sometimes simple, old school answers are the easiest solution. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com