Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: First rig suggestions - 90 year-old noob taper 😀  (Read 725 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
Re: First rig suggestions - 90 year-old noob taper 😀
« Reply #15 on: Today at 09:33:27 AM »
^Something like the Tascam X6 is what I was thinking.  How good are the internal mics and noise level?
If he's comfortable with running it and wishes to go further, he can always additionally add your Vanguards or Line Audios.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline commongrounder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: Today at 03:28:41 PM »
I own the X8, which I know use the 14mm Primo EM200 series cardioid capsules. The X6 has smaller 10mm capsules, but assuming they are Primos they will still have quite good noise performance. The preamps for both the XLR and 3.5mm inputs on my X8 are excellent, and I have no reason to think the same circuits aren’t used in the X6. The X6 sound samples I’ve heard on-line are, to my ears, far superior to the Zoom H series recorders, from both a noise and general quality perspective. The X6 will have a lot of features our OP’s dad won’t have the need to use, but these machines are great for holding the previous settings through a power cycle, so it should always be ready to go once initially set up.

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: Today at 04:47:52 PM »
This is so cute! Hope your dad will record many shows for years to come!
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: Today at 06:15:43 PM »
Thanks, Volt.

I've been gravitating towards the F3 on my own, and appreciate your perspective on noise floor.

I have a set of Vanguard V1 mics, haven't used them in 2 years, could 'store' them at my Dad's and stay under his $500 limit that way.

Issue is I'm worried that this becomes a rig that's too fiddly for him. As Gutbucket mentioned in his post, complexity is an issue with someone 90 years old...

But it would likely sound much better. If I were ok not having much room sound, I could put the omni caps on, have him close-mic, and set the balance in post. That'd eliminate a lot of the need for great placement.

Hmmm

The F3 is about the least fiddly thing you could use. Plug in external power bank (if recording a long time), plug in mics, turn on, press REC.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com