Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Slim Devices product  (Read 2606 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
New Slim Devices product
« on: January 07, 2008, 12:33:14 PM »
This is pretty hot.......  Two new products, both compatible with all previous SD gear.  Basically a new controller and a new 'head unit'.

http://slimdevices.com/pi_duet.html

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
Re: New Slim Devices product
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 01:01:17 PM »
Pretty cool! Looks especially nice if you have multiple systems in the house and want a squeezebox for each.

My Dad just ordered a Squeezebox 3, which I think will be a good decision for him. But this new unit does look nice. How "independant" is Slim Devices from Logitech anyway?

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 01:15:35 PM »
Before looking at the page this morning I'd just spent about 30 minutes discussing a whole house installation with a friend who is also a long time slim devices customer.... he asked if they had anything new and I said 'no, not unless they've just announced something'....  That installation will end up being an sb3 + new controller.  He already has speakers throughout the house.  This will make it easy to control content from anywhere.

When the logitech deal was announced, Sean Adams (the founder) said it wouldn't change much. The big thing, he said, was their ability to develop more complex products due to the technical and financial resources of logitech.  That logitech expertise is very apparent in the new controller.

I really like how the new products compliment the existing stuff.  Nothing is obsolete. Even the very first slimp3 product.  Great product architecture.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 01:25:32 PM »
Looks like the SB3 but with the viewscreen on the remote...  Very nice...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 03:31:08 PM »
Extremely cool.  This may be exactly what I need.  A duet + a controller would have both of my rooms good to go. 
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 05:25:22 PM »
How long until someone does a hack to stream video to the remote (possibly straight from the internet)?  How long until they have a head unit that sends video out to your tv?

I'd be worried that any effort in video would dilute their core mission of audio... but it would be cool.

I've had a SB2 for 4 or 5 years, I love it and was hoping that they would branch out into video, but in the end went with a dvico tvix 4100 to deal with video, not as slick as the SB2, but works like 'on-demand' for your DVDs.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline mandoman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 03:56:04 PM »
The new Squeezebox Controller (SBC) looks sweet! Not so wild about
the new SB Receiver (SBR) - no display and cheaper DAC, but at least
it's affordable.

They sell the SBC for $300, the SBR for $150, or both in a combo deal 'Duet' for $400.
The Duet is a great deal for those new to slimdevices.

They are going after the Sonos market, and they are priced way better than
those systems.

I just bought an SB3 for another room of the house (I've had an SB2 for a couple of
years now). I'd be really tempted to get the SBC, but it's a tad spendy @$300 just
for the added convenience. Will have to put that at the bottom of a very long list of
toys to buy someday...

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 04:17:15 PM »
The sbc is definitely pricey but for those who have speakers throughout the house tied to a central source, it is a huge advance and dirt cheap.  I know a someone with a newer whole house solution and he spent Big bucks on it.

A troubling rumor is circulating that msft may be looking at buying logitech (share price is up on the news). That's probably one of the worst possible things that could happen to the wonderful product line of slim devices.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com