Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thoughts on antique soundlabs...  (Read 4167 times)

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Thoughts on antique soundlabs...
« on: January 10, 2008, 10:56:47 AM »
I'm thinking of switching up my playback. I've been reading up on Antique Sound labs stuff and I'm highly intrigued. I'm thinking of getting either the AQ1003DT or the wave-25 mono blocks and their Line One Preamp.  Anyone have any experience with their gear and care to share some thoughts. What about other suggesstions in that same price range. Really at this point all I know for sure is that I want to go to tubes, and I'd really prefer something with subwoofer out and a remote control (I'm lazy).

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
Re: Thoughts on antique soundlabs...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 10:58:47 AM »
the jolida stuff gets pretty good reviews. I've never had any of their all tube stuff but my 1501 has been great until recently. & yeears with only one problem, not bad.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 02:08:52 PM »
:D
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Frank in JC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 03:30:45 PM »
I'm thinking of switching up my playback. I've been reading up on Antique Sound labs stuff and I'm highly intrigued. I'm thinking of getting either the AQ1003DT or the wave-25 mono blocks and their Line One Preamp.  Anyone have any experience with their gear and care to share some thoughts. What about other suggesstions in that same price range. Really at this point all I know for sure is that I want to go to tubes, and I'd really prefer something with subwoofer out and a remote control (I'm lazy).

I think the AQ1003DT is pretty much the classic push-pull pentode, ultralinear circuit.  It would be a good introduction to tube amps.  I bought an ASL single-ended KT88 amp years ago and was impressed with the sound.  The build quality?  Well, the quality/mounting of parts and the soldering looked good, but the chassis?  Eh.  Keep in mind, however, that along with Chinese manufacturing, that's why their products are so competitively priced.
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 03:47:46 PM »
it seems like any tube amp under $1500 is made in China

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 04:23:01 PM »
You could look at a Cary SLI80.  They pop up on Agon in the $1600 - 1800 range.

I owned one a few years ago. 
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 04:41:34 PM »

I think the AQ1003DT is pretty much the classic push-pull pentode, ultralinear circuit.  It would be a good introduction to tube amps.  I bought an ASL single-ended KT88 amp years ago and was impressed with the sound.  The build quality?  Well, the quality/mounting of parts and the soldering looked good, but the chassis?  Eh.  Keep in mind, however, that along with Chinese manufacturing, that's why their products are so competitively priced.

the build quality on my aq1003dt is quite good. Polished stainless steel body, ceramic tube sockets, it wieghs almost 50lbs and is built like a tank
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 07:48:48 PM »

the build quality on my aq1003dt is quite good. Polished stainless steel body, ceramic tube sockets, it wieghs almost 50lbs and is built like a tank

I stand corrected!  My amp's chassis was obviously different, so either they're not all created equally or ASL has gotten better.  My experience is from 8 years ago, so I don't know what they're doing today.  Thanks.
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline pigiron

• Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 08:31:42 PM »
[snip]
...or the wave-25 mono blocks...
[snip]

I've got a pair of AV-20 monoblocks, but don't think that I'd recommend them to others.

One of them has a fairly loud 60Hz hum. After the usual tricks didn't work, I tore into the unit and quickly saw why the price is so (relatively) low. The company didn't even spring for a star washer on the grounding post (in fact, there were no washers), they routed the wires directly over the power supply circuits because that was the most direct path, the wires were so tight they couldn't be rerouted even a quarter inch, etc.
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 10:52:41 PM »

I stand corrected!  My amp's chassis was obviously different, so either they're not all created equally or ASL has gotten better.  My experience is from 8 years ago, so I don't know what they're doing today.  Thanks.

sorry, didn't mean to be beligerent ;D

I just wanted to be on the record with my experience.

fwiw Shawn, I've poked around all of the usual audio sites and don't think I've seen a bad review of my amp. I have no idea about their other gear though

If you can swing the Cary I bet that would rip ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 10:54:23 PM by Tim »

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 04:46:25 PM »
You could look at a Cary SLI80.  They pop up on Agon in the $1600 - 1800 range.

I owned one a few years ago. 

I have one I am selling on Agon for $1750, I would sell it to a member here at a better price if your interested.

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?intatube&1204737763
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 05:24:41 PM »
I was just going to pimp Carl's gear (and mom, wife, sister..etc) as well.

mono blocks are the way to go.
dedicated power supplies, more current, cooler looking.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com