Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: [PT 2] M-Audio MicroTrack 2496 - *actual* real-life experiences thread  (Read 90312 times)

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CAR RAMROD
Re: [PT 2] M-Audio MicroTrack 2496 - *actual* real-life experiences thread
« Reply #240 on: October 26, 2005, 12:14:38 AM »
its b/c of your Dane-Elec card.  Maudio informed the 40x Dane-Elec's will not properly work.  45x or great is needed. 

I resold my DaneElec b/c of this

I had it on mine as well. Not exclusive to the Dane Elec cards. It's a bug for sure.

What kind of card do you have?  I have not experienced this bug on my tapes...

Sorry. 6GB microdrive. I'll see if I can dig up the mp3 sample I sent, if not already delted.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #241 on: October 26, 2005, 12:52:16 AM »
its b/c of your Dane-Elec card.  Maudio informed the 40x Dane-Elec's will not properly work.  45x or great is needed. 

I had it on mine as well. Not exclusive to the Dane Elec cards. It's a bug for sure.
Depends on amount of buffer RAM, sampling speed and wordlength, CPU speed available, etc.
Also interrupt time is a factor.
I.o.w. Maybe it can be fixed, maybe it cannot.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #242 on: October 26, 2005, 01:29:52 AM »

Depends on amount of buffer RAM, sampling speed and wordlength, CPU speed available, etc.
Also interrupt time is a factor.
I.o.w. Maybe it can be fixed, maybe it cannot.

Yep! I have changed my MT allocation size to 64K to see if that makes a difference. I have yet to try it with this, but will report my experiences ASAP. +t
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline blindowl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #243 on: October 26, 2005, 04:39:21 PM »
This is my first post here.   And I admit I haven't read this entire thread so bear with me if I'm just repeating what others have reported.

First some good news -

(1) I know of at least 4 people (including myself) who have purchased the Microtrack from Guitar Center for just $299.   Just go to your local Guitar Center and tell them to check previous sales at other stores and they will match the price.   Tell them to check their Tempe, AZ store and their Sherman Oaks, CA store for sales at $299.99.

(2) Check Ebay for brand new 6GB Hitachi Microdrives selling for just $98 (plus shipping) and 4GB Microdrives selling for $68 (plus shipping = $77 total.)    These are supposedly Apple overstock from discontinued Mini Ipods (Apple only makes Nano's now).    I have tested the 4GB card and it works swell.   It's got a little more heft than a CF card, but those of you who have complained about the lack of heft to the Microtrack will appreciate this!

Ok now for my complaints about the Microtrack( current IBeta Firmware update 1.1.5)

(1) No onboard marking or splitting of lengthy files.   On a Minidisc you can set index points and split files into smaller files and then delete your un-needed files to free up space.   But the Microtrack requires you to upload a file which may be hours long to your computer and then use 3rd party software just to separate out the part of the file you want to keep.   I consider this to be a MAJOR FLAW in the software and I hope they fix it in the next firmware update (which M-Audio says should arrive "sometime in November".

(2) The file-naming is ridiculous!   The first file you record will be named 001.   Delete it immediately and the next file you record will still be named 002.   Turn off your Microtrack, turn it back on.  Delete 002 and the next file you record will still be named 003.   Format your disk and the next file you record will still be named 004.   SWITCH DISKS to a  brand new disk and the next file you record will still be named 005!   Get the picture?   Is that bizarre or what?   I hope they fix this soon!

(3) Looped playback is erratic.   Oftentimes it doesn't work at all.  When it does work it inserts random bits of stray sound from outside the loop into the loop.   This is an improvement over the original 1.0 firmware which had loud bump noises in every loop, but it's still pretty much useless.

(4) They claim to have fixed the reversed L/M/H switch but to tell you the truth, I can't hear the switch doing anything at all.

(5) I've found my battery life has improved a little bit after numerous charge/discharge cycles, but its still less than 4 hours using Plug-In power.  I haven't tested it with Phantom Power.    I note that M-Audio has downgraded its battery life claims on its website accordingly.

Even with all those complaints I'm still fairly happy with the device.   I have no complaints regarding its sound quality, although the included T-Mic seems awfully boomy.   I switched to Panasonic binaurals from Squid Audio and they sound great.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #244 on: October 26, 2005, 05:43:26 PM »
(2) The file-naming is ridiculous!   The first file you record will be named 001.   Delete it immediately and the next file you record will still be named 002.   Turn off your Microtrack, turn it back on.  Delete 002 and the next file you record will still be named 003.   Format your disk and the next file you record will still be named 004.   SWITCH DISKS to a  brand new disk and the next file you record will still be named 005!   Get the picture?   Is that bizarre or what?   I hope they fix this soon!

This issue was discussed previously..  I dont see it being "fixed" as it is not broken..  If I remember correctly, many professional cameras are set up this way to avoid overwriting/deleting/mixing up photos on a large CF card..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #245 on: October 26, 2005, 08:02:29 PM »
yeah, the file thing is fine.   nothing wrong with sequential numbers.  imagine coming home from a festival with 20 file0001's   
we all live downstream.

Offline blindowl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #246 on: October 26, 2005, 09:05:11 PM »
Ok, I see your point . . . to a point.   But shouldn't there be SOME way to reset the numbering back to 000?    Formatting a disk won't do it.    Changing disks won't do it either!

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #247 on: October 26, 2005, 09:12:00 PM »
There's probably some kind of hard reset that will do it, but you'd have to ask M-Audio about it.

Honestly, though, what does it matter?  File0024.wav and File0001.wav aren't descriptive enough to differentiate between shows anyway.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #248 on: October 26, 2005, 09:14:31 PM »
Ok, I see your point . . . to a point.   But shouldn't there be SOME way to reset the numbering back to 000?    Formatting a disk won't do it.    Changing disks won't do it either!

It's easy.  Go to menu>system>factory defaults.  That does it.  Then remember to reset your other parameters!

Jeff

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #249 on: October 26, 2005, 09:17:59 PM »
i think its cool, it would at least count how many sets youve taped, id restart it every year ;D and see how many sets/shows i taped that year 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline blindowl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #250 on: October 26, 2005, 09:19:57 PM »
Thanks Jeff!   

Now what do you think about my gripe about no way to split files onboard like you can with a Minidisc?   I guess that's not such a big deal for those who only tape fairly long shows.   But for musicians taping practice sessions or jams, it sure would be nice to be able to just save the "good" parts and delete the garbage without hooking up to a computer.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #251 on: October 26, 2005, 09:28:51 PM »
That's not an issue for me, I'm basically trying to get as long a 24/96 session as possible without tending it (hence my main want list item is lossless auto start of a new file before the 2 GB limit), I do the teensifying splitting in Wavelab.

Jeff

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #252 on: October 27, 2005, 05:05:41 PM »
ran again last night 463 -> v3 -> MT. no issues at all....

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #253 on: October 27, 2005, 05:37:40 PM »
ran again last night 463 -> v3 -> MT. no issues at all....

nice nice..   what bit/sample rate?
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline timewasajoke

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #254 on: October 27, 2005, 05:51:16 PM »
Ok,  finally after reading through the 48 pages of this thread,  i have not seen the issue raised yet with the MT that i had on my first run last weekend. I'm starting to think it has nothing to do with the unit but the media i am using, but because i have learned so much from this thread and you guys,  i figured i might get a more definite answer .

I recorded 1.39 GB or 1:34 min of music at a Blue October show in Ft.Worth last Saturday with the unit set to record at  24/44.1 onto a 2gig pq1 hi-speed 40 card.

On playback at the 23min mark of the recording,  the recording abruptly stopped and the MT unit was still running and counting down the file time. I first thought i might not have captured all the data because of mic failure or that the file may have some how been corrupted while the MT was writing and saving the file.

After i transfered the file to my ibook and opening up the file using Audacity all the music it there.
The music sounds better while playing it on the computer using Audacity with the same headphones too. This is not a big problem for me but  i kinda like to listen to the shows i capture on my usual long drive home from the city after the gigs.

anyone have a answer?

dave

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com