Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: [PT 2] M-Audio MicroTrack 2496 - *actual* real-life experiences thread  (Read 89149 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
Re: [PT 2] M-Audio MicroTrack 2496 - *actual* real-life experiences thread
« Reply #315 on: November 04, 2005, 05:59:06 PM »
t does not matter whether we're in 16- or 24-bit, the goal is the same:  maximize resolution.

I would agree.  I think that for stealth purposes running conservaitve can be a benefit of 24 bit, but it shouldn't be the main benefit.  I think for open taping slamming the levels is great.  But I love slamming the levels anyway.  Lights mezmorize me.   >:D
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #316 on: November 04, 2005, 06:10:36 PM »

.  Lights mezmorize me.   >:D

sell that minime and get yourself a V3 if that is the case... or a 744.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #317 on: November 05, 2005, 12:08:21 AM »
something to keep in mind is that with 24bit recording you are not gaining anything by running your levels so hot and you risk damaging overloads which can be hard/impossible to fix/cleanly...that being said i love the OVR lights on the MT, but if you see them hitting at all its time to turn things down...its not something you want to be "slightly" engaging

with current 24bit devices, anything in the -12dB -- 0dB range is gonna be equally detailed

you can always kick up the levels in post

the ability to run more conservative levels and capture a wider dynamic range with much less risk are some of my favorite aspects of 24bit recording

I've heard and seen plenty of other tapers advocate running levels very conservatively in 24-bit, i.e. not seeking to approach as closely as possible 0 dBFS, and I just don't get it.  It does not matter whether we're in 16- or 24-bit, the goal is the same:  maximize resolution.  Therefore, we should always seek to run our levels as hot as possible so that we approach - but do not hit - 0 dBFS.  Perhaps this is what you're advocating and I'm reading you wrong?

the difference is that with the current batch of 24bit gear, none of it is ACCURATE enough internally to give you any improvement beyond a point....its barely better than the maximum capable resolution of 16bit, and no where near the maximum capable resolution afforded by the 24bit format....it mattered alot more with the 16bit devices to run them relatively "hot" if you wanted maximum resolution because it was generally still under the limits of the hardware itself, but in 24bit land its a wash (if i remember this break even occurs at roughly -24dB for most 24bit gear)

i.e.... you get the same resolution at -12dB as you get at -2dB when using 24bit gear

when the internals of the devices get better this situation may change, but it has a LONG way to go...running a hotter signal on the recording is just giving you a louder master at the risk of getting unnecessary overload blowouts

boogie

Where are you getting this from?  What part of the 24 bit gear isn't accurate enough?  And which devices in particular?
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #318 on: November 05, 2005, 11:46:43 AM »
While I'm curious about specifically which components have an impact on the recorders' inability to take full advantage of the dynamic range offered by 24-bit, it'd probably go over my head, anyway.  Thanks, Boogie, for the helpful response.  It makes much more sense now - I don't recall anyone explaining it quite that way.  +T
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #319 on: November 05, 2005, 12:28:25 PM »
good discussion
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #320 on: November 05, 2005, 12:46:14 PM »
+T for the lesson Boogie.  Too bad I just woke up, and you're making my head hurt...more.   :laugh:

Must...reread...later.

Gracias
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #321 on: November 05, 2005, 01:31:02 PM »
GrR! Had some weirdness last night. FYI: this is more of a rant than anything..

taped openers - after writing the file for one of the openers, it rebooted and all of a sudden it wasn't getting a signal from the digi on my V3.. ? so I check the settings, its on 1/8" now. Also all other settings appear to have been reset. The file names at thispoint start over... I don't know what happened here... very odd!

So I'm rolling for Melvins/Jello Biafra now.. everything is going OK, levels are totally f'd up (normal) but its still recording... 1hr 50m... show stops I try to stop recording and the damn thing locked up.. levels stuck, time not moving no menu. I let it sit while I tear down.. check it.. still locked up. So I powered it off - hoping the file may be there when I got home.. OH NO... file gone... well - let me elaborate.. the file was there... 5megs of it! and it was all silence... wtf???

I did run my P1 and D8 as backup from the analog outs on the V3, so I did walk away with a tape, but still!! and just when I was starting to really like this thing it took a shit on me... :(

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #322 on: November 06, 2005, 05:58:22 AM »
first time using the MT tonite.
Had to rush my set up and tape rolling. got the dat started, then went to the MT.
Put the card in, set the settings, and let it record (16 bit, spdif in) kingston 4g card
It said auto for the 44/48 option (whatevs..)

ran it out of the splitter from my digi 7 pin cable.
only thing I can think of that was weird was that at one point, I had to power down the M1 (b/w songs to rearange set up (in rush)
when the M1 was off, the signal blackened on the MT, but when I got the M1 back up and running, the MT was rolling fine.
set was 1:50 so no issues with 2 hour stop thing  >:(

Im transfering file right now.
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #323 on: November 06, 2005, 06:30:54 AM »
set was 1:50 so no issues with 2 hour stop thing  >:(

just fyi, it's a 2 gig thing, not a 2 hour thing.  at 16/44.1 or 16/48, you won't hit 2 GB file size limit until about 3 hours.

Offline fuzn

• Taperssection Regular
  • Don't be weird about it.
« Reply #324 on: November 06, 2005, 06:40:21 AM »
I tried out the DPA 4061 > MT setup using the SP dongle that takes power from the Mic-In. Everything worked out fine. I was VERY surprised how low my levels were. I figured it would by somewhere high as I read it has steep gain settings. I set it to the lowest setting on L, and I had to amplify about +14db. That's a pretty hefty number, but it sounds fine. I'm going to another show today and i'll up the levels by a decent amount. Not sure how much though... we'll see how it goes. This really isn't a number to go by though, as the PA was pretty quiet for most of the show. I know the 4061s can take a lot before clipping, so i'll go somewhere around 1/4 and see if the clipping light comes on. Very happy with my new super stealthy setup. Learning experiences are awesome.

Oh yeah, and the SP Dongle that does not have the mic built-in does not do anything but convert from 1/8 to 1/4. I had to get the mics built-in version... just so you know!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 06:47:53 AM by fuzn »
DPA 4061s > SP-MicroTrack Dongle > M-Audio MicroTrack

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #325 on: November 06, 2005, 06:48:25 AM »
lol, so the file transfered, and in the audacity, I can see the wav forms, songs etc., but I cant get it to play on the computer. the wav files that I transfered all come up blank  :'(

lol, its probably cause Im running Windows ME >:D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 07:04:11 AM by svenkid »
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #326 on: November 06, 2005, 09:13:23 AM »
lol, so the file transfered, and in the audacity, I can see the wav forms, songs etc., but I cant get it to play on the computer. the wav files that I transfered all come up blank  :'(

Maybe the file is OK but the header is wrong?
If you see waveforms there IS audio!

If the header is wrong, try some other editing software or try the Gidluck utility (where is that URL?) to fix it.

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #327 on: November 06, 2005, 01:39:56 PM »
GrR! Had some weirdness last night. FYI: this is more of a rant than anything..

taped openers - after writing the file for one of the openers, it rebooted and all of a sudden it wasn't getting a signal from the digi on my V3.. ? so I check the settings, its on 1/8" now. Also all other settings appear to have been reset. The file names at thispoint start over... I don't know what happened here... very odd!

So I'm rolling for Melvins/Jello Biafra now.. everything is going OK, levels are totally f'd up (normal) but its still recording... 1hr 50m... show stops I try to stop recording and the damn thing locked up.. levels stuck, time not moving no menu. I let it sit while I tear down.. check it.. still locked up. So I powered it off - hoping the file may be there when I got home.. OH NO... file gone... well - let me elaborate.. the file was there... 5megs of it! and it was all silence... wtf???

I did run my P1 and D8 as backup from the analog outs on the V3, so I did walk away with a tape, but still!! and just when I was starting to really like this thing it took a shit on me... :(

I too had a set 'lock' up on me last night, recorded away, went to stop the recording at the end of the set and BANG, MT froze, file there but ZERO time, totaly corrupt with no DAT backup, oh well ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #328 on: November 06, 2005, 03:21:46 PM »

Maybe the file is OK but the header is wrong?
If you see waveforms there IS audio!

If the header is wrong, try some other editing software or try the Gidluck utility (where is that URL?) to fix it.

Header? Im not sure what that is? Other editing software? to upload the file to instead of audacity, or to use with audacity?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #329 on: November 06, 2005, 03:39:21 PM »
Alright, I'm locking this thread - it's turning into a free-for-all.  So...if you have a specific issue with your MT, please create a dedicated post.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com