Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need new cans - Audio Technica ATH M50 or Beyer DT770?  (Read 3351 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Need new cans - Audio Technica ATH M50 or Beyer DT770?
« on: June 16, 2019, 11:07:14 AM »

Anyone have any recommendations for or against either of these two sets of headphones? To be used sitting at mix desk for post work and for home studio tracking in spare bedroom studio.
Been using Senn HD280 for years but I left them for the GF to use for practice at the digital piano when I moved.

I have a really big head so if anyone has used these and experienced the clamping effect I'd like to know.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Need new cans - Audio Technica ATH M50 or Beyer DT770?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 12:59:49 PM »

Anyone have any recommendations for or against either of these two sets of headphones? To be used sitting at mix desk for post work and for home studio tracking in spare bedroom studio.
Been using Senn HD280 for years but I left them for the GF to use for practice at the digital piano when I moved.

I have a really big head so if anyone has used these and experienced the clamping effect I'd like to know.

I have a pair of 770’s. The 250 ohm “pro” Version (these are said to be less bass forward than the 32ohm version, which I’ve never heard.

I run them with an old Creek obh-11, and have for a decade. I wrote my doctoral dissertation with then. Shoved them into a bag every day for a year to use in the library. They’re indestructible. They have great isolation and sound great. I wore them 8+ hours a day with no discomfort. They’re not light, and your ears might get hot in the summer time.

These days I listen to open backed cans at work and at home. But my 770’s are at my bedside table, connected to the creek feed by a Chinese dac. When my wife wants to listen to a “meditation” when going to sleep, I get high fidelity and she hears nothing.

Highly recommended.

I also own a pair of the over ear foldable sennheiser momentum. Not quite as good, but much more
Portable. See my sig for the gear I use and (subjectively) prefer.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 04:11:33 PM »
I have a pair of AKG K271 MKII

I thought about getting the Beyerdynamics, but the AKG's are much more natural sounding.

FWIW
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 05:04:14 AM by robeti »
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 03:42:33 AM »
I have the DT770 80 Ohm version on my laptop at work (where I listen to a lot of music) and the DT880 at home. I just love the sound of the Beyer cans. Tried AKGs and Sennheisers in the past, but was never too impressed with those. The Beyers do just what I personally want my music to sound like. And they're selling all parts separately, so they should be easy to fix should anything ever break.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 09:40:38 AM »
I own the M50s and don't find them to be neutral sounding for EQing and such. They're great for playback though.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 12:01:23 PM »
I have the ATs and have bought several sets over the years.  I recollect that there is a newer version out which may be better than the older model that I have.  All in all, nice sounding but not neutral.  I have moved to the Sennheiser HD 25 Monitor Headphones for tracking and post.  An on the ear rather than an over the ear phone, but seals well.  Smaller and lighter.  I did find that the headband on the older ATH M50 degraded and flaked overtime.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline mjwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 05:29:58 PM »
Since I've been using a par of ATHM50X as my main monitoring cans for about a year, I'll chime in.

Firstly,I should say that I'm not a great lover of headphones, if there's any alternative.  I dislike the feel of them on my head & ears, I dislike the fact that they shut out the sonic ambiance & I dislike the "in your head" presentation of most recorded material (binaural excepted)!

But when sealed headphones are needed to do a job, I find the M50Xs to be a pretty good all round choice.  They have good isolation, they're lightweight & fairly comfortable - they fit firmly, but  without pressing the frames of my eyeglasses against my largish ears.  They fold up into a kind of ball (a bit like the Sony MDR7506) & are fairly tough, with a choice of chunky cables and & locking connector. Mine are constantly in and out of my bag & have been dropped quite a few times without problems. The money seems to have been spent on making them functional & there's no bling. Nor are there any loops of delicate cable  to get caught on things.   

Of course, if you're using them at a desk, most of this portability talk won't matter much.  Sound-wise they're quite pleasant to listen through. They're fairly open sounding, yet don't have a "tipped up" frequency response, although there's some peaking at the top end @ 10kHz or so. The midrange can sound a bit recessed, but it's ok. The biggest gripe which I have with them is the unpleasant hump in the 100-200Hz bass region.  It's not that kind of boxy resonance which a lot of closed cans exhibit, but a wider hump which just sounds as if someone's nudged a fader on  a graphic eq.   (Actually, you could probably eq this out, but that's another conversation...) 

It's a while since I've heard DT770s, but I remember them as overly bright, & a bit scooped in the midrange.   What else is there which hasn't been mentioned?  I used to use DT250s. Still do sometimes. Flatter midrange, but much more enclosed sounding.  The oval shaped pads pinch my ears & they don't fold up.  MDR7506s might be as good in the midrange, but they're painful at the top end.   HD25s, beloved of film & TV PSMs, are great in the midrange dialog region, quite dynamic, but excruciatingly painful (physically) on the ears.    A set of the HD25 drivers in an M50 shell would be just perfect!

I'm not sure if there's such a thing as a truly accurate closed back headphone.  Is isolation that important to you when mixing?  HD600s would be my choice if I had to use cans for critical eq or balance adjustments.  But they're open back & more money!

I think it's a case of ask 10 people, and get 20 different answers. But maybe there's a consensus emerging...

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 10:06:39 AM »
I've got a set of barely used Beyer DT880 (600 ohm) just sitting in a closet.  Make me a reasonable offer and they're yours.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com