Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How Many Sources?  (Read 9405 times)

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: How Many Sources?
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2022, 06:00:06 PM »
Going to discount running a multitrack off the soundboard.

Biggest rig I've done is 16 IEM feeds before. Just recently recorded 8 IEM feeds on my person (stealth) for the B-52s a few weeks ago. Of course recording multiple IEM feeds with intention of doing a final mix is a different beast than multiple mic sources, more akin to multitracking off a board.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline tjj5036

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Rage Against the Machine Live Archive
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2022, 07:33:22 PM »
Varies, typically one when doing stealth but if I'm w/ my SO and it's a show that we know an archive exists for where they would appreciate as many sources as possible I'll wire her up w/ a second set of mics. She loves that lol. If I'm testing new gear I always bring a backup rig, like what I did for Tool last year when running the Babynbox for the first time.
Bay Area taper that runs http://ratm.live . Please get in touch if you have any Rage recordings or know anyone that taped Rage! Always happy to tape a Bay Area show, get in touch if you want someone taped!

Mics: MK4s, AT853s, CA-14s/CA-11s
Battery/Pre: NBox+, Babynbox, SP-SPSB-10, CA-9200, Naiant Littlebox
Recorder: PCM-A10, Marantz PMD 661
Video: Panasonic ZS100

Offline moondust.and.solitude

• Taperssection Regular
  • Holding hands singing kumbaya
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2022, 08:26:47 PM »
^ Or misunderstood, rather.  In his original post, OP moondust.and.solitude specifically mentioned 3 separate sources   That's 6 channels in that particular case.  So which is it?

I took "sources" to mean "mic pairs." Or, more simply, how many plugs I need to find input jacks for.

I apologize. I should have been more specific. Yes, I meant "mic pairs" as in a set of omni, a set of cardioids and a set of hyper-cardioids. Three mics pairs and three recorders. Sometimes it's just two mic pairs and two recorders and an iPhone as a third "source". Gutbucket, you are correct, there's a lot of different taper styles on here, and it does get jumbled. Sorry for the confusion :)
Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Cables; Canare Custom Cables, UniStar LilRed Whip.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.
Misc: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB SDXC Cards.
RayoVac Fusion Batteries.

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2022, 08:34:39 PM »

Biggest rig I've done is 16 IEM feeds before. Just recently recorded 8 IEM feeds on my person (stealth) for the B-52s a few weeks ago. Of course recording multiple IEM feeds with intention of doing a final mix is a different beast than multiple mic sources, more akin to multitracking off a board.

Massive respect for you over here. It's not easy to do ONE, not to mention 16 times! Wow. I've always wanted to dip my toe into that pond, but it's beyond my means, so I just sit on the sidelines and watch the pros.
Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2022, 08:51:53 PM »

Massive respect for you over here. It's not easy to do ONE, not to mention 16 times! Wow. I've always wanted to dip my toe into that pond, but it's beyond my means, so I just sit on the sidelines and watch the pros.

The whole IEM feed thing seems like some forbidden sorcery in these circles - it's not talked about in the open and all kind of seems like magic when such a tape is shared. I'm glad folks are doing it, but yeah, I'm with you. Happy to watch from the sidelines.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2022, 09:04:42 AM »
One good one. Rarely disappointed.

Occasionally get a SBD as well and that is nice to mix in and support the vocals and instruments.

I was just talking about this last night - I have a second set of mics I could run, but to be honest, I don't want to carry that much gear. I may cut down to actives > baby nbox > sony A10 and that's it, open or low profile. Only pull out other gear when I'm getting a board and want to run 4 channels.

That's the bottom line for me as well. One pair of microphones. An extra set of cables for the SBD, if possible. As I have mentioned previously, I usually take trains, in combination with walking and other forms of public transport, to get to shows. The less I have to lug, the happier I am.

I actually recently got a second set of screws for my mic bar, so that I can mount two pairs, but they are still in the bubble wrap they came in...

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2022, 10:50:07 AM »
In his original post, OP moondust.and.solitude specifically mentioned 3 separate sources   That's 6 channels in that particular case.  So which is it?

My point is that this is an important distinction, which is not often clearly differentiated in our discussions here at TS, but should be.

I see you edited your post. It was not misunderstood. You can make the distinction all you want, we know what he meant. Sources, mic pairs - in this case the same thing.

There is useful information in (most of) your posts and you are clearly a knowledgeable and passionate person, you care about the community. Just no need to make these kind of distinctions that feel pedantic when you are correcting someone. If it is only me, so be it. I'll shut up now. I've said my piece.

Who is this "we" you speak for?  I assume you mean you. I speak for myself.

I edited that post to remove ["^ Or misunderstood, rather. "] not because I felt it was mistaken, but simply to eliminate any potential inference of intended provocation toward you, which was not my intent.  I wanted to post about the difference between sources, pairs and channels because that is something I've felt has been a general point of confusion and source of miscommunication for a very long time around TS, gets to a fundamental way of thinking about taping that I feel is useful and that I'm particularly interested in, and saw this as the perfect opportunity to discuss it.  Forewarning- Finding that this long running misunderstanding is so strong that it unconscionably provokes a presumptive "we", I'm quite likely to post about it again in other threads.  Free to ignore or block my posts as you see fit.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2022, 11:06:02 AM »

We, well you actually,  did something like 18-20 IEM sources for Rod Stewart once, 19 if you count the Schoeps source inside.  M16 + a Zoom + Dr2d. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2022, 11:50:05 AM »
That's the one I was thinking of! Had 12x stereo IEM feeds to the Utrack24 then another 4x to the Zoom F8. You ran the Schoeps inside. So 16 sources plus mics, but I can't take credit for the mics!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 11:54:13 AM by hoserama »
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2022, 11:50:54 AM »

The whole IEM feed thing seems like some forbidden sorcery in these circles - it's not talked about in the open and all kind of seems like magic when such a tape is shared. I'm glad folks are doing it, but yeah, I'm with you. Happy to watch from the sidelines.

Guess you can call me a dark wizard of IEM taping.

Online opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2022, 12:01:17 PM »
I wish I had the patience to figure out IEM taping. Even beyond using it for show taping, I'm always fascinated hearing people's IEM mixes and comparing them to mine

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2022, 06:36:05 PM »
It is ridiculously expensive, because the packs run close to $900 each new if you can find them presently, and one needs a number of ranges.  You can start off pretty easy with a DR2d and a couple packs in different ranges.  Presently Shure seems to winning the marketing battle with touring bands.  A J8 and G10 plus a Dr2d and you are set.  The DR2d, while obsolete, remains the king of IEM taping, simply because it can tape two sources and can be easily stealthed and there is no need to time synchronize the two sources, a single IEM + an Audience source. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2022, 08:07:23 PM »
It is ridiculously expensive, because the packs run close to $900 each new if you can find them presently, and one needs a number of ranges.  You can start off pretty easy with a DR2d and a couple packs in different ranges.  Presently Shure seems to winning the marketing battle with touring bands.  A J8 and G10 plus a Dr2d and you are set.  The DR2d, while obsolete, remains the king of IEM taping, simply because it can tape two sources and can be easily stealthed and there is no need to time synchronize the two sources, a single IEM + an Audience source.

The DR2D was so far ahead of the curve. I wish Tascam would bring it back. I regret selling the two I had.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2022, 04:13:26 PM »
the new Shure digital systems can encrypt transmission, which I think would shut down "free" access
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2022, 10:07:39 PM »
the new Shure digital systems can encrypt transmission, which I think would shut down "free" access

They don't have the digital system for IEMs, just wireless mics/instruments. Whether that's coming for IEMs remains to be seen (likely just a matter of time)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.126 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com